2019 - Wing - Franz Wagner (Commit)

ugh, stop getting my hopes up! would be such a huge (and needed) addition.

Does anyone speak German? From my interpretation, I am pretty sure Franz said he is going to commit to Michigan. Never took a German class though so I could be wrong.

6 Likes

The last chapter! Friday on DAZN!

…My German is completely shitty but I think it’s just Franz and his dad talking about Moe. I think he broke a lamp playing ball as a kid?

1 Like

@thetruth have you heard any rumors regarding Franz upcoming decision?

1 Like

It’s all still up in the air. I know he had to sit out a playoff game because he missed practice due to taking the SAT so that tells me he is still undecided and at least considering Michigan.
He was the best player on the court yesterday for ALBA as a 17 year old which is a very good sign for him personally but not ideal for a team full of professionals (and grown men).
As for you all speculating and looking at minutes played or games started: he would be a fool to base his decision whether to turn pro or go to college on that. His team is trying to win its first title since 2008, that’s all that matters to him right now. He said so after the game yesterday himself.

20 Likes

Thanks for the update!

Franz’s decision is now vitally important to Michigan’s season after we have struck out on the transfer market and Jalen Wilson. Would dramatically change the course of the season since he’ll probably play 30+ minutes at the 2.

3 Likes

Thank you! Hopefully missing a playoff game to take the SAT is a good sign for Michigan.

9 Likes

I think he is fully aware of the opportunity that is Michigan in terms of getting PT. However, getting significant minutes at the EuroLeague level, albeit for a weaker team, is something very few 17/18 year olds can claim historically. Therefore it’s really a win-win situation for him I think.
His parents are wealthy and his brother plays in the NBA - money will not be the deciding factor. I would guess he will make his decision some time after his season has ended as Michigan would most likely take him with open arms the regardless of when he commits.

5 Likes

I’m certainly not disagreeing with the assessment (I’d have no basis), but I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around Franz being better than Derrick Walton given what Walton became by the end of his time at Michigan. Was that maybe a flash in the pan and he’s more like the version we saw as a sophomore/junior? Or is Franz just legit that good?

I think it’s probably a combination of Walton not truly being as good as he was during the last 20ish games of his career and it being significantly easier to play opponent-invariant in the off-ball role that Franz plays.

4 Likes

This is not a Walton assessment thread so I will keep it short. He was a dominant player at the college level but has struggled and not stuck around at every team after leaving Michigan. I know he is a hero in your eyes, and rightly so, but he is just not that good at running a team on the professional level (highest level in Europe/NBA).
What does “better” even mean? Yeah, Walton is a better ball handler and is faster and more athletic so if you compare them like that, my statement becomes invalid. Obviously, Franz does not have that level he played at yesterday every night, otherwise he’d start every game and average 20ppg. But in the most important game this season (so far) he stepped up while almost everyone else on the team could not.

2 Likes

Appreciate your thoughts!

1 Like

What I mean by “not that good”: Walton can get his shot and create for himself. But he can’t finish at the rim and he doesn’t really make his teammates better. If the 3 is falling, he looks great. If not, he often looks lost (which is why Peyton Siva gets the bulk of the minutes for ALBA and a EuroLeague team like Zalgiris Kaunas had not problem letting him walk in the middle of the season).

1 Like

Hey @thetruth - not sure how plugged you are with Franz, but I had a quick question - ok, maybe questions - I would guess that Franz’s ultimate goal is to be play in the NBA, correct?

So, with that being said - do you think he’s looking for the quickest route to achieve that goal or do you believe that it’s just a goal that he feels comfortable achieving in the near future (3-4 years)?

Walking into a starting job at a high division 1 program with obvious NBA connections - he has a chance to play himself into the NBA after his freshman year (seeing him hang and at times excel with NBA level/physically mature players has me really believing he could put up some big numbers at UM).

I know that ALBA would also afford him opportunities, but are there specifics in German contracts that would be prohibitive of him leaving early (like a significant buyout for the first 1-3 years) to go to the NBA?

not thetruth but an NBA out-clause should be pretty standard in contract for almost all pro-basketball leagues.

Yeah, but different teams/leagues deal with it different - buyouts are common, but the $$$ of the buyout differs. Basically, for a young kid that the team is putting significant resources into they may want to get something back.

To clarify, was really asking if there was any historical precedence regarding ALBA’s handling of buyouts (are they fair, do they set the price high which may prove prohibitive if he isn’t a guaranteed 1st rounder, etc.)…

BREAKING NEWS (not really)

this got me way to excited…

1 Like

Haha Evan didn’t even give a timeline. Figured at a minimum that would be the news.

May be reading way too much into it but if he really took the SAT and missed a practice that seems like a positive sign.

7 Likes