2019 - G - Nah'Shon Hyland (VCU Commit)

Hyland looks like a nice get to me, with a sensible explanation for his situtation. But it doesn’t address next year.

I agree. For that matter the only potential player we’re talking about here who wasn’t on the roster this year but could play major 2 minutes next year is Quinones – the others are wings, or in Bajema’s case possibly not physically ready.

I wonder if this is a function of Beilein being comfortable going with Brooks/DDJ/Nunez, or a function of who is available and has interest in coming here.

at some point you move past just the lense of next year. besides wagner + pierce, what combo gives you a chance to compete past a sweet 16 season? even with those two not sure you get there

so then it becomes a redshirt + year of development for a top 75 19 kid vs a 2020 kid for the following season

Said this before, but you have an all-league caliber PG and center as seniors. You make every effort to get some pieces around them who can contribute.

3 Likes

I think it’s going to be a great team next year. This year’s team was great, but it lacked the shooting it needed to go with the P/R. There’s a chance to have a better fit on offense, and there will be depth. Better fits and more players. There will be no need for Teske to be passive on D for the first ten minutes of every game because Castleton is there. I think roster spots open now should be, if possible, for 2020 contributors. That’s an issue with Hyland, because a very similar guy in Bajema is also coming.

of course… but once you get past pierce, wagner and LQ who do you really put above Hyland?

i like to think im objective, but i just dont see how this team gets to a final four with a pg that cant shoot and a pick n pop five who also is not a great shooter, with no other reliable shot creators on the floor

2 Likes

In what ways do you see them as similar other than they could project to the same position? I need to watch more film of Hyland but their styles seem different.

ya hyland and bajema are basically the same from a developmental stand point (both slight frame, need to add strength to contribute, delaware/wash not best level of competition), agreed

I’m optimistic that Jalen Wilson will be able to create some offense. I think the most important thing is having three 40%ish shooters from three around Teske and X. Livers is one, could Wilson or Quinones be two more? That’s also why I’m not extremely high on Pierce unless he gets back to his sophomore shooting ability.

1 Like

Hyland has played more high end competition than bajema. He plays on a top level aaa squad unlike bajema.

Probably the latter, though of the guys on that list, I’d say only Morton is a guy we are really strong with. I think the class likely ends up being Jackson, Morton, Scooby, and Zach Loveday.

yea same concern re pierce, tho his usage won’t require to be as high, so think his numbers could trend back up

That’d be a solid class. I think Scooby will end up at MSU too though. MSU I think will land 3 in state 2020s in Scooby, Terry and Jackson next year.

Nothing other than being a slight 2 not necessarily ready to contribute next year.

Personally I’m hoping Michigan refrains from offering him but if we landed him I wouldn’t be upset.

3 Likes

I understand your thinking–might get other guys in the next class (or even this one), and he’s quite possibly a kid who needs strength and a year of development to be a contributor–but personally, if he shows out in the workout Beilein and Yaklich see, I’m absolutely on board with an offer and a commitment. I like his film, his versatility, and his ability to score in multiple ways, he looks like the kind of kid who thrives under Beilein, and you can never have enough guards or options in the backcourt.

4 Likes

Bit of a strange thing I was thinking back to. When we were scrambling for 2g after stauskas left early we ended up chasing a ne guard(MAAR) who at the time had mike rhoads hard after him (first at vcu as an assistant then at rice as hc). Now we are scrambling to find a 2g after another early departure and mike rhoads once again is hard after the 2g we are now after. Hyland and MAAR have similar games too.

1 Like

Michigan didn’t preach physicality, defense and athleticism as much as they do now compared to when they brought MAAR in. The team’s style has changed quite a bit since then. Not saying Hyland wouldn’t help. It appears he would down the road. But next year? I’m not sure how much he could. But if he offensively is capable of being productive versus big ten opponents consistently, I wouldn’t be opposed. I’m just pretty skeptical right now.

I don’t think there are any options out there that will help us next year, unfortunately.

1 Like

Have we begun to assume that Quinones isn’t heading Michigan’s way?

1 Like