2019 - G - Nah'Shon Hyland (VCU Commit)

1 Like

I donā€™t want to derail the thread, but I am legitimately shocked Jordan Poole would be 100% decided on staying in the draft at this point before seeing if he even receives a combine invite, or getting feedback from NBA teams. Projections are all over the place and itā€™s not entirely certain he will actually get drafted at all.

I get that he wants out for a variety of reasons, and I respect that. But a traditional transfer would make more sense to me than declaring for the draft with such a large uncertainty of being selected. At this point I really hope it works out for him, because I firmly believe that he should be a mid-first round talent, it just hadnā€™t materialized yet based on his sophomore season.

Of note on Hyland, the last weekend of April is a live eval weekend on the circuit. Hyland playing on the UAA circuit is a bit rare for a graduating senior (but makes sense given his situation). Iā€™d expect heā€™d draw a pretty big crowd including Michigan at that point.

Some footage from this HS season:

Skinny but very skilled, looks like an average athlete though

We will find out if Poole is 100% gone if Michigan offers Quinones, Hyland or another SG before Poole and Iggy make it officially official.

2 Likes

FWIW I wouldnā€™t be surprised if his listed 6ā€™3" height is outdated. Watching some game footage from December and a newer video from Endless Motor and he looks extremely tall for a guard.

1 Like

sounds like there will be a workout monday with JB and yak in delaware, then watch him at AAU ball. No official setup yet

1 Like

Not even going to link that board?

Not seeing enough to take him at this point but a worthy follow

Ok so letā€™s say Hyland is indeed going to be a real target going forward.

Would you guys rather go for him, or go for a grad transfer for this year and then go hard for one of these 2020 guards Michigan has been known to be pursuing:

Cade Cunningham
Nimari Burnett
Jayden Stone
Ethan Morton
Camā€™Ron Fletcher
Caleb Love

Iā€™d tend to prefer the latter option personally. Not saying odds are great for these guys but chances of landing them go up if Michigan knows they are saving an additional guard spot besides Jackson if Michigan add a grad transfer for this year. That simple fact of knowing that spot will Forsure be open next year would allow the staff to really hone in on one or two of these guys and it ups the odds of landing them.

I take the bird in the hand. Been burned too many times.

2 Likes

An interesting question Iā€™ll answer with another question. What are the chances of landing a grad transfer (or two)? Thereā€™s Justin Pierce, who Iā€™d take over him and I suspect the staff would too. After him, whoā€™s on the board? A hidden problem in recruiting transfers to Michigan is that itā€™s notoriously hard to get them past admissions, even if they can get in most places.

I guess another key question is whether weā€™d rather have Hyland as a soph or someone like Morton as a frosh. Of course, if passing up Hyland meant landing Cunningham, you do that. I donā€™t think we land players like him often enough to make choices based on the possibility.

1 Like

pierce and wagner would be preferible and allow 2020 to remain in play

however if you strike out on both and LQā€¦ then youre very thankful for getting hyland on board

you take top 75 kid at positions of need when you can

1 Like

This is definitely an issue as far as recruiting graduate transfers. Look at most transfers that Michigan has brought in and they are all pretty much academic achievers. Charles Matthews received several All-Academic honors while he was here, Duncan Robinson was at Williams, Jaaron Simmons was all-Academic Big Ten. Even guys that Michigan has brought in seem to be good students (Pierce graduated in 3 years from William & Mary and is being pursued by pretty much only good schools.)

It does turn out to be a pretty big hurdle though. Just like JUCO recruiting is off the board, there are some schools that come up as a potential transfer names that probably wonā€™t end up working.

2 Likes

And that. . . is as it should be.

Just curious: Is Charles graduating?

The problem with the hypothetical about getting a grad transfer SG is there hasnā€™t been a ton of noise with us and an off-guard grad transfer. I know weā€™ve talked to some but no visits have been set up.

FWIW Brian snow echoed this kid being legit. Also looks like one of his AAU coaches is a Michigan fan.

5 Likes

A slew of Division I programs remain on the lookout for talent this spring in completing their rosters for next season, which makes the case of Nashon Hyland more pertinent. A skinny but fierce competitor at the scoring guard spot, Hyland can go and get a basket with the best of them. VCU has offered and remains in hard pursuit, although a bevy of other power programs are showing interest, as his commitment remains far off.

1 Like