2019 - G - Nah'Shon Hyland (VCU Commit)

First thing I thought of was Michigan signing a scrawny wing from Ohio late in the game in a class that he seemingly wasn’t necessary and that turned out pretty good. But Levert was of course young for his class and not sure if its accurate but a Google search of Hyland said he’s 19. Hope that isn’t accurate.

I know they are searching high and low at this point for players but might this signal a shift in JB’s recruiting outlook with his iso comments? Who was the last guard we got where quick twitch was a descriptor?

Also how far does the coach look ahead for the program obviously so much can happen in a year but say we get two grad transfers. What does the following year look like in the backcourt? Brooks, DeJulius, Nunez, Bajema and freshman. Who knows but no matter what going to be interesting.

Last one, could we get both Lester and Hyland? Assume it is a one or the other.

My feeling is that Hyland is Beilein’s priority right now and likely he will end up wearing maze and blue. He will see floor as 2 his freshman year but will compete for PG eventually. The other spot will be either Pierce or Wagner

1 Like

Beilein hasn’t seen Hyland play. The workout and then the live period will probably have a lot to do with whatever decision.

Yep. Hyland only has two OVs to give to high-majors (already spent two and another is planned for VCU), so if Michigan gets one of those, it means there’s a good chance he’s coming here. I would anticipate he visits in the next couple of weeks and is a Wolverine shortly after.

Aren’t there more OV’s now, or is that just a football thing?

It depends on when they are taken, but yes there can be more official visits:

The prospects can begin making trips on Aug. 1 before their junior year of high school. They’ll be permitted to make five visits between Aug. 1 and the end of their junior year; five visits between the end of their junior year and Oct. 15 after high school graduation; and five more visits between Oct. 15 after high school graduation and the remainder of their college eligibility.

If Hyland took his officials during this school year, he doesn’t have more than 5.

FWIW sam Webb said this morning that its his informed opinion that Hyland has emerged as the primary guard target.

1 Like

Wonder if there is some writing on the wall with Lester

1 Like

Been paying attention to Michigan bball recruiting for a long time as I’m sure you have. Usually it’s pretty easy to tell whether a kid is actually a good possibility to end up here based on who the other contenders are and how the kid come across in interviews and social media.

Based on those two criteria, sure seems like Quinones is in the “unlikely” category. Obviously there’s enough interest where the staff is hosting him, but this is one that just doesn’t seem like it’s going anywhere.

2 Likes

Yep. Successful Michigan recruitments often follow similar patterns. I would bet that Bones is a Wolverine within the next 3-4 weeks, and that we have no shot at Quinones.

For the same reason, I’d say Scooby is going to MSU in the 2020 class.

2 Likes

Yep kids quickly reciprocate and commit shortly after being offered/receiving the full court press or 80+% of the time aren’t coming to um. Iggy, Johns, McGary, and Chatman are the only drawn out recruitments um has won under beilein.

I’d add Stauskas. Committed 5 months after offer

I could see Scooby liking his odds of playing at MSU, because they were so built on passing and defence this year and those seem like his strongest attributes going forward, though they really do have a lot of depth on the wing with guys like Henry, Brown, Bingham ahead of him.

He should probably go to an ever so slightly smaller school that needs wings, like Purdue, where even if he never develops into a better than average shooter he could still end up starting.

Scooby fits MSU extremely well stylistically. Just stating the obvious. I think he’d be great at Michigan too but I think MSU is about as good a fit as it gets in terms of basketball.

4 Likes

I am good with any of these four guys. Starting to think next year should be just fine.

I like his game but I don’t think as high on him as everyone else seems to be. I certainly think junior year Eli would be more effective off the bat. If we’re looking at instant impact I don’t see it here and it would make more sense to bank it imo.

2 Likes

slight disagree here, i think bones as a redshirt freshmen/sophmore will be more ready to contribute than a 2020 freshmen the following year

what are the odds of some unexpected attrition next year… 100? We average a transfer/early exit per year at least

1 Like

I think Hyland has an extremely high ceiling.

I’d like to fit him in here with one of Pierce or Wagner.

5 Likes