2019 - G - Cole Anthony

Well on the bright side, at least we won’t have to have the Cole Anthony Won’t Play Over Zavier Simpson conversation again :slight_smile:

6 Likes

UM didn’t back off. Was always a long shot.

2 Likes

Yeah, you would have to be crazy to “back off” this one. Cole could be the most productive freshman in the country next year. Just not enough mutual interest to end up with a visit.

2 Likes

I just figured he watched the full game videos from the Spain trip and then dropped Michigan like a lead balloon.

Thanks, Dylan. :grin:

1 Like

Can officially close the book on 2019 basketball recruiting. Very weird top 6 from Anthony. Only one blueblood

It’s not about the name of the school it’s about the fit. Glad to see more kids are doing this. Hopefully Wiseman chooses Memphis and Vernon Carey Miami. Balances out the talent and teams across the country too.

2 Likes

Michigan wasn’t on his top 12 either, FWIW.

2 Likes

Thatt too but I thought It didn’t need to be said. I think UNC is the leader currently for him.

1 Like

Eliminated Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Villanova, L’Ville (and Pitt) in this most recent cut. Some very strong programs… arguably 4 of the top 5-6 programs in the whole country.

1 Like

So is the consensus Cole Anthony was a bit overrated? That’s what I think. He very good but I expected more; even before the injury I didn’t think he was amazing. I don’t think he’s as good as Trae Young was in college for example.

He’s not as good as Coby White was for them last year. He was a national POY candidate to start the year so I totally agree. Bad supporting cast, but he was billed as a player who didn’t need a great one. He certainly doesn’t pass the “doesn’t make horrible decisions constantly” eye test.

Looking at this thread, I feel rather vindicated.

Definitely a disappointing season but the rest of that UNC roster is really really bad. Add in the injury, a bunch of close losses and it was just a mess.

WIth one and dones, especially guards, I always wonder what they’d look like as an additional piece in a good team.

Coby White is an example where he was in a perfect spot with senior guards, senior Luke Maye, talented pieces, and just had to fit a role rather than carry the whole team.

Iggy is another example of a one-and-done who could step into the absolute perfect role.

I don’t envy the scouting process for these kinds of prospects because the situations can be so different.

Would have been cool to see a Simpson/Anthony backcourt, for example, but then you are worried about projecting the right and wrong things. Just becomes tricky.

1 Like

Cole is a lot worse than I expected him to be, that’s for sure. Whether that’s partially due to his supporting cast, or injury, or both, I don’t know.

Yeah how much impact on winning did Ben Simmons, Fultz and Dennis Smith Jr. have in their one year in college. They were surrounded by crappy rosters and although they all put up good numbers, they really did nothing to elevate their programs in their one year on campus.

Also feels like five-star point guards flop in college more often than any other position. I think that is because of an emphasis on measurables, athleticism, etc. more than feel for the game when we evaluate young prospects.

1 Like

While we’re re-evaluating former Michigan targets on UNC, what about Justin Pierce? Yikes!

Christian Keeling was another guy I thought was pretty well suited to be an impact grad transfer…

Just your average 83.5 ORtg in conference play and 74.6 ORtg in tier A games…

Garrison Brooks and Brendan Robinson are nice pieces. Bacot is raw, but has some potential. The rest of that roster is mid major level.

1 Like

Looking at the discussion from July 2018 is pretty funny now. People talking about playing Anthony, Poole and Iggy together in 2019-2020 under Beilein. Just shows how quickly things change.

2 Likes