Big Ten Tournament Discussion Thread

20-4 run right after you turned it off

I thought Matthews did a great job of not giving up his dribble in the lane. Clearly was stressed.

Simpson missed a pull up jumper in the lane with 8 and change left in game and shot clock running down. Saw him working on this exact shot before OSU game. It is in his tool box.

Teske Teske Teskeā€¦ great effort; almost a dominating performanceā€¦ heā€™s getting there and really frustrated the Hawkeyes

4 Likes

I liked that Matthews did not force things. It was one of his better games in terms of decision making, imo.

4 Likes

With just over 3 minutes to go, Indiana is shooting:

14-44 (31.8%) from the field and
3-20 (15.0%) from distance

Their saving grace has been going 22-25 from the line (88%).

EDIT: Donā€™t look now, but they just made a couple of deep threes to make their averageā€¦ok, it still sucks.

Re: the 5 second call - the ref started counting when MAAR touched the ball (or the ref thought MAAR touched the ball, not sure whether he did or not - then he walked away and let X pick it up). Happy for Robinson, what a turnaround. And Iā€™m there with everyone else praising Teske.

2 Likes

I thought it hit Teskeā€™s leg, but yes that was stupid it was inadvertent contact.

1 Like

Just watched the replay on BTN. In a game of preposterous calls, I think the worst call was the ā€œon the floorā€ call on MAAR at 67-64. MAAR is well into his move when heā€™s fouled. If Iā€™m looking for any conspiracy, itā€™s right there. Hey, letā€™s see if we can get Michigan through AND make it another scheduling mismatch for Nebraska to exploit - maybe UM can still have to play overtime. I donā€™t know, itā€™s a terrible call. The guyā€™s looking right at it, it literally makes no sense. In a world of questionable and-1ā€™s, thatā€™s an obvious one. That it wasnā€™t put on the board, itā€™s just madness. The game was over. No overtime to contend with. An ugly sloppy miserable brutally reffed game and 69-64 with a FT to come on the board. Ugly, but an advance. Instead, overtime.

2 Likes

My late peace:

1. Refs were rough - the call sequence that bothered me most was when Duncan took (what should have been) a charge/offensive foul in the post when 15 or 55 popped him with their hip to clear space on the way up. No call. Then you call MAAR for his 5th foul going pretty straight up for a rebound. There was other contact but at that point, a free ball, itā€™s a judgment call. And to me, if you didnā€™t judge the offensive foul as enough force to warrant a whistle, then you donā€™t just MAARā€™s rebound attempt as enough force to warrant a whistle. JMO

2. Teske - love him but man, heā€™s the shortest 7ā€™1" player Iā€™ve ever seen. Heā€™s had a nice season so I canā€™t knock him too hard. 6ā€™7" - 6ā€™9" guys going right over youā€¦Iā€™d love to see those as swats next year. It seems like when he does get a block, itā€™s at a low contact point. He seems strong enough and physical enough - I hope they work on his explosive jumping this off-season.

Good win all things considered with bad FT shooting and awful 3 point shooting.

3 Likes

And Rutgers wins the gameā€¦

Purdue had a decent turn-out in DC last year, pretty comparable to ours. Itā€™ll be interesting to see whether Rutgers will have a pure home game against Purdue or not.

I thought Teske was really good yesterday. Heā€™s not a great shot blocker (only 18 on the season) but he does alter and affect a lot of shots at the rim. He does a good job of staying vertical and not fouling. I do think he lacks leaping ability and has very little explosiveness but heā€™s outstanding defensively. He played 28 mins yesterday and we definitely donā€™t win without his solid play in place of Wagner.

I donā€™t think you fully appreciate the UM NYC presence.

I lived in DC for 5 years, but this is my home. There is no comparison in terms of our presence in NY vs DC.

Point 2. If that was the late game call on the left side of the key, I agree. The Iowa player picked up his dribble and Teske backed off a step and the guy just throws it up over Jon. He needs to learn that when the guy picks up his dribble you donā€™t have to worry about him driving around you and you should step in closer with hands up to make it harder for him to do anything.

I hear you. I wanted to focus more on the Purdue v. Rutgers game in my post. Since youā€™re from the area, what sort of energy do you think Rutgers will get and could it feed a crazy upset?

If Penn State can knock off Ohio State for a third time, I think that might be enough to push them up to Q1. Something to keep an eye on today.

If Michigan beats Nebraska, probably will be a Q2 win. If Michigan loses to Nebraska, probably a Q1 loss.

4 Likes
1 Like

Rutgers will get great energy if the team is in the game. Tickets are pretty plentiful, with teams getting knocked out, and every Rutgers fan got online last night to buy a ticket and prepared to assault the bridges and tunnels into Manhattan. Theyā€™ll be traveling through some Godawful weather to get there, although the worst of it is happening right now. I just donā€™t see it being a game, though. Rutgers will try hard, but they played their hearts out last night and wrung every last drop out of themselves. I donā€™t see them having a ton left for a third game.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been rewatching the Iowa game over a late breakfast. Mo was playing with fire setting lazy screens with 4 fouls - the 5th foul could have gone either way, but Mo shouldnā€™t have let it be that close. Particularly as it literally looked like the refs had a mandate to ding UM wherever possible. The 5 second call is terrible on rewatch. Yes, the guy sort of started his clock when MAAR sort of touched it. No, his arm motion didnā€™t make it to 5 seconds. Heā€™s counting out each second by touching his fist to his chest and then extending out the arm to count a second. When his arm finishes extending, thatā€™s a second. On Count #5, his damn arm is half way only. He hasnā€™t extended it, which would equal 5. You donā€™t call 5 seconds there unless youā€™re looking to find anything you can call against Michigan. According to his arm movements, which Z is supposed to be able to go off of, he was at 4.5 and the ball was in the air and out of Zā€™s hands. Atrocious.

2 Likes

FWIW, I thought Moā€™s fifth foul was about 90% Simpsonā€™s fault for going too soon. I havenā€™t rewatched it, but watching it live I immediately thought Simpson went way too soon.

5 Likes

Maybe, but I watched the minutes leading up to it in slo mo, and Wagner was setting a number of not definitive enough screens. He was lazy getting to his spots. I still think it was an unnecessary call - there was no real advantage gained - but Mo could have been there much sooner. He ambled into the screen - youā€™re supposed to make a determined, solid movement when you set a good screen.