Big Ten Tournament Discussion Thread

Hmm I don’t recall that play - may have been part of the collection though.

I was thinking about Tyler Cook going chest to chest with him and getting up high enough to score over him. Also (I think Baer) coming under the hoop along the baseline, catching, and just shooting it up over Teske - throwing it over a wall no doubt - but didn’t even looked rattled that a 7’1" guy might possibly send it into the stands.

Then just the general aggressiveness. The play you mention. Also a loose ball right in front of him that he looked like he was hesitating to go after (and didn’t).

He does a lot of good things but I’d love to see him add some explosive intensity on the defensive end especially. Maybe eventually lead to more of an aggressive offensive game around the hoop as well.

Was so pissed when I got stuck on the phone yesterday and couldn’t watch the game after the first ten minutes. Might have turned out to be a blessing. After reading thru the comments, not sure I would have been able to handle the officiating.

1 Like

I listened to the Iowa feed for the game, which I like to do once in a while (not Iowa specifically), and a couple funny things. First, they love Beilein, but the announcer was saying he should “calm down” a couple times when he was complaining about calls. Your coach is Fran McCaffrey! Second, they are huge homers, and complained about every call against Iowa and went out of their way to say several times “I don’t know why [Michigan player] is complaining, that was obvious.”

4 Likes

Wisconsin is not enjoying this officiating crew…

Following along online for the MSU-Wisky game. Looks like Wisconsin was holding its own early, but if Happ gets his third foul before halftime, that team will be in a world of trouble.

EDIT: Wisky continues to rally ahead. Has Happ been on the bench since the 7:46 mark? It looks like Reuvers is playing with two fouls…but he’s not as vital to their chances as Happ.

Wisconsin’s offense has been either Ethan Happ dribbling his way into the post or Brad Davison shooting step back jumpers. Now both have two fouls. No clue what the Badgers will do on offense for this final 3:45.

2 Likes

Apparently, the answer is…not a damn thing.

3:38 Pritzl made 3 pointer

and then…

2:53 Andy Van Vliet missed Jumper.
2:39 Brevin Pritzl missed Layup
1:50 Brevin Pritzl missed Jumper.
1:03 Alex Illikainen missed Jumper.
0:21 Nate Reuvers missed Layup.

End of Half.

They should feel lucky to only be down 4. Those first 4 minutes of the 2nd half are gonna be huge.

Aleem Ford with back to back 3s to tie the game back up at 38 apiece at the 15:32 mark.

1 Like

Can anyone explain why it wasn’t an intentional foul on Iowa ?

That last charge on Wisconsin was terrible. McQuaid’s feet were moving AND he was in the circle

1 Like

Wow, good to see Happ’s dirty playing screw MSU instead of us.

edit: Aaaaaaand of course he misses the free throw

2 Likes

Two misses on front ends for Wisconsin there. Huge.

1 Like

Well I will say that I remain unconvinced about MSU…

7 Likes

Adjusting to shooting at the Garden still seems like a thing. Didn’t see the game myself, but I saw that Davison and Pritzl combined to shoot 5-21 and 3-11 from deep. Davison did improve from his 0-4 mark from 3 yesterday, I suppose. Winston alone shot 1-7 from behind the arc today.

Don’t see why we should do anything but go and play our game. . . providing we get past this little roadblock today. [Post smiley thing here.]

2 Likes

Man I like this team. I’m gonna gush for a second.

Charles Matthews played one of the best 0 FGM games I’ve ever seen. The guy came in as a highly touted transfer and easily could have turned into an “all about me” kid. He’s far from it and I love it.

Beilien took an unranked kid from Germany, a 2-star shooting guard with offers from Rice and George Mason, and a kid from D-III and turned them into the core of a top-10 defense in the country and a serious big ten and national contender. Props.

Speaking of Moe, he completely dominated. 20 points, 13 boards. Such an improvement as a rebounder from last year. Postseason tournament Wagner is becoming a real thing…

How about non-big ten all defense Zavier Simpson.
Holds Bohannon to 3-14 shooting, 11 points.
Holds Glynn Watson to 4-12 shooting, 10 points.

If I’m Sparty, I am very very nervous. Get anything from Matthews, Poole, Livers on top of how the upperclassmen are playing and who knows what happens. I just really really really like this team and I am shocked how balanced and good they are this year.

11 Likes

MAAR and Duncan playing like they want their careers’ twilight to also be their careers’ pinnacle is a beautiful, beautiful thing. Happy for those guys

13 Likes

I made this comment in the game thread but I’m so pumped for Duncan Robinson. He worked his tail off in the offseason only to not get the results he was expecting at the start of the year. He even got benched for a freshman after the entire fanbase was calling for his benching. Now he’s playing the best basketball of his life on both ends. He deserves this.

19 Likes
9 Likes

Being a JB fanboy wasn’t always fashionable…but this season and the future ahead make me awfully proud to be a Beilein admirer

10 Likes