Who will be our best finishers this coming season?

Dylan brings up this question in the fourth comment of this discussion: http://forum.umhoops.com/discussion/816/west-coast-all-star-classic-highlights-kameron-chatman-and-d-j-wilson#latest.

Without Morgan and Robinson and Horford, things are going to look a little different. Wilson isn’t strong, but he’s long and has some bounce. He could be a decent candidate. I don’t think Donnal or Doyle will be like Morgan or Horford, but Donnal will have had a year of strength training and Doyle is just bigger with broader shoulders. Perhaps Irvin will add a couple inches to his vertical and some strength to enter this conversation.

Max Bielfeldt. I hear that he cannot be guarded.

By “finishing” are we only referencing dunks? Or are we saying ability to score around the hoop?

Outside of dunks, GR3 and Morgan and Horford didn’t seem to do that great (in my mind - maybe the stats are different).

I think Donnal, Doyle, Wilson, Chatman will be able to finish around the hoop better than them. JMO

By "finishing" are we only referencing dunks? Or are we saying ability to score around the hoop?

Outside of dunks, GR3 and Morgan and Horford didn’t seem to do that great (in my mind - maybe the stats are different).

I think Donnal, Doyle, Wilson, Chatman will be able to finish around the hoop better than them. JMO

Morgan shot a ridiculous percentage on 2PA and Robinson was very good as well, his 2-point numbers dropped a bit as he created more offense, but he was one of the best finishers of cuts, etc. at the rim in the country.

Max Bielfeldt. I hear that he cannot be guarded.

I’ve seen this joke before. Just wondering about its origin

John Beilein just said the Big Ten is going to learn next year that “nobody can guard” Max Bielfeldt

If w are talking putbacks and lobs then I will go Wilson or Donnal.

Otherwise, Caris.

GR3: % shots at rim= 25.7 FG% at rim= 83.3 %assisted at rim = 60.0
Caris: % shots at rim= 20.5 FG% at rim= 75.0 %assisted at rim = 26.3
Nik: % shots at rim= 20.3 FG% at rim= 65.0 %assisted at rim = 34.6

http://hoop-math.com/Michigan2014.php

By "finishing" are we only referencing dunks? Or are we saying ability to score around the hoop?

Morgan shot a ridiculous percentage on 2PA and Robinson was very good as well, his 2-point numbers dropped a bit as he created more offense, but he was one of the best finishers of cuts, etc. at the rim in the country.

What about when they’re defended?

Finishing at the rim on shots you create is one thing. Caris is hands down the best creator on the roster next year.

The question I originally asked is who fills the Morgan/Robinson role and whether they can’t do it as efficiently? Robinson and Morgan were both terrific outlets when Trey/Nik/Caris/Derrick would get into the lane… They knew how to cut to the basket and were able to read the defense and finish. There isn’t really anyone proven on the roster who has done that.

Just found it to be an interesting discussion point, especially because it feels like JoMo was here forever.

Oh ok.

Gotta go with Wilson, 7-2 wingspan and athletic. Donnal a close second.

Wilson being the guy is interesting, because the most popular lineup is Walton-LeVert-Irvin-Chatman-Donnal. If that’s the main lineup, Donnal needs to be a roll threat I think. The pick-and-pop threat will be a nice luxury, but his ability to roll to the basket and finish could be important.

With Donnal’s ability to shoot from outside, it makes me wonder, how much this changes up the offense. Who will be the primary “board crasher” on offense with Donnal shooting from the perimeter? Morgan and Horford were very similar in styles, where Donnal and Doyle are quite different (assuming Donnal and Doyle are the primary 5). On a good note, teams will definitely have a fun time game planning around UofM’s differences in abilities. And thats just the tip of the ice berg. Every position this coming year will have a starter, and a back-up, that differ in style and ability. Not a bad problem to have with a coaching staff like Beilein and company.

Dare I throw Aubrey Dawkins in the mix? Especially if he adds a little muscle.

What about Spike?