The Center position next year

Next year will be interesting at the 5 position. We have 3 players really capable of playing the 5. It is almost definite that Doyle will start. The backup is the big question mark. Donnal is decent offensively, but he struggles with rebounding, defense, and getting angry down low. He is one of my favorites but the guy is just as soft as a teddy bear. Wilson is a huge ? with lack of experience and strength. I do not think anyone knows what they get with Wilson. Your opinions?

Donnal is a dud...What makes anyone really like him after being redshirted his first year for being too soft and skinny and playing this year softer than Charmin!

They took a swing at him, he was overrated, not a top 100 player…he wouldn’t even start on some MAC teams. Time to cut him loose, his scholly would be opened up for Brown and we can delay Hatch’s medical which would end his career at UM.

If you can’t rebound, block/alter shots or play any lick of defense than you can’t play the 5. As posted above he can’t play the 4 either.

Donnal, I’ll send a couple friends over to help pack your bags for Jaylen to arrive in AA.

Labeling someone as a “dud” after one year? Do not think that is fair. He was a 4 star out of high school he needs to have some talent. I think the real “dud” is the person labeling him after one year.

Donnal is a dud…What makes anyone really like him after being redshirted his first year for being too soft and skinny and playing this year softer than Charmin!

They took a swing at him, he was overrated, not a top 100 player…he wouldn’t even start on some MAC teams. Time to cut him loose, his scholly would be opened up for Brown and we can delay Hatch’s medical which would end his career at UM.

If you can’t rebound, block/alter shots or play any lick of defense than you can’t play the 5. As posted above he can’t play the 4 either.

Donnal, I’ll send a couple friends over to help pack your bags for Jaylen to arrive in AA.

Donnal is a dud...What makes anyone really like him after being redshirted his first year for being too soft and skinny and playing this year softer than Charmin!

I have a feeling IF Donnal transferred they would have picked up Mike Edwards, Jaylen is a longshot. Since it seems like he is on board, let’s hope he can turn it around. Young bigs can develop a lot over their careers. That said, I do wish JB would have prioritized getting a “Schilling” type big man. A 6’9ish guy who can jump, play post D, get rebounds and finish around the hoop; he seems to really prioritize skill/shooting. I honestly believe last year’s team would have made the NCAA if we had a Jordan Morgan type.

Teske’s senior-year highlights will be must-see TV. Develop that drop step, Jon!

I think you guys are going to be very disappointed if you’re expectation is for Teske to come in averaging 11 and 8. He’s probably going to RS. I expect him to be a 6,4, 1 type of player until he’s an upperclassmen wher 11, 7, 2 may be possible.

I wasn’t saying freshman year–maybe a bit later–possibly as early as sophomore season.

I see Donnal becoming a 4 in his senior year--sort of a non-rebounding stretch 4--with Teske, Doyle, and Wilson at the 5. I usually like to refrain from ragging on any of our guys, maybe coming in and giving us a few big games. I will be surprised if he becomes a steady contributor.

Wilson will play the 4 more then Donnal. Donnal will never play the 4 at Michigan. JB likes using wings at the 4 and that is defiantly not Donnal.

We have a guy in Doyle that plays the 5, but the question is will he be adequate in terms of defense and rebounding? I think Doyle will improve, but im certainly not betting that he will be average/above average in terms of post defense or recovering from hedges. Defensive Rebounding is where we need him to be average, but I’m not confident there either. I think he improves marginally at both, and maybe puts it together to average 11 and 6 by the time he’s a junior, which is what I expected out of Doyle based on his HS film.

All I want is a “big” to get us about eleven-and-change and 8.

Should be doable for Teske, right?

I see Donnal becoming a 4 in his senior year–sort of a non-rebounding stretch 4–with Teske, Doyle, and Wilson at the 5, maybe coming in and giving us a few big games. I usually like to refrain from ragging on any of our guys, but (and I know I’m not surprising anyone) I will be surprised if Donnal becomes a steady contributor. I see Doyle as a second-tier B1G contributor down the line, which would be great. And I think that Teske will surprise, and end up in the NBA. (Was gonna say becoming the white Lew Alcindor.)

Or, who will our leading rebounder be? Walton? Will Irvin make improvements in that category? Maybe Doyle? LeVert if he stays? We can set the over/under on 5 per game on whomever it is. :-).

We have one guy we know is capable of playing the 5. Donnal and Wilson are a wait and see. I'm not willing to write Donnal off. Tons of bigs look atrocious early on. But I also wouldn't put money on him developing into a quality 5 at this level. Wilson, as you said, is a question mark.

I agree with you 100%. Donnal could defiantly improve into a solid big and should not be written off. Doyle is the most proven player, but I would not say he has this locked up. If someone out performs him (which I highly doubt would happen) he could lose the starting job. The 5 is the biggest question mark (After LeVerts decision).

We have one guy we know is capable of playing the 5. Donnal and Wilson are a wait and see. I’m not willing to write Donnal off. Tons of bigs look atrocious early on. But I also wouldn’t put money on him developing into a quality 5 at this level. Wilson, as you said, is a question mark.