DJ Wilson, Duncan Robinson physical gains

Nice pic from Sanderson

Proud of this guy, by far the most productive red-shirt year I've ever seen in my career! #GoBlue pic.twitter.com/KojCj4QPDY

— Jon Sanderson (@CampSanderson) October 26, 2015

Proud of this guy! He embraced his redshirt year and improved a lot. #GoBlue #D3toB1G pic.twitter.com/SrhsoK7WmB

— Jon Sanderson (@CampSanderson) October 26, 2015

Great results! 7 inches on the vertical for DJ?!? Is he putting quarters on top of the backboard now or what?

Glad to see Duncan got quite a bit quicker too. This is exactly what the redshirt year is supposed to do!

Heard it here first. Remember the name Duncan Robinson for UMich bball. That boy can shoot! Missed only 1 live ball shot at a 2hr practice!

— Mr. M. Kainz (@CoachKainz) October 25, 2015

To be fair, they are (especially Duncan) definitely making a concerted effort to flex in the “after” pictures…LOL. Like when getting team pictures taken in high school.

I would be so happy to look like their before pictures.

I would be so happy to look like their before pictures.

HAHA!!! Okay that’s funny!

My prediction with Robinson is that he struggles early on the big stage, then surges in the second half of the year.

great to see from the 2 biggest wildcards going into the season. We will need them both to contribute at points during the season if we are going to go from middle of the pack to top of the conference.

7 inches added to Wilson’s vertical is incredible. He is a very unique player with his length and skill set. I truly believe , before he is done he will be one of those rare players capable of playing positions 1-5. Is that a crazy statement? Anybody else agree?

D.J. Wilson playing the 1? What?

before he is done he will be one of those rare players capable of playing positions 1-5. Is that a crazy statement? Anybody else agree?

I usually try to avoid very concrete statements on here, but that is a crazy statement in my opinion.

Haha. That is cool if it sounds crazy. I think his foundational guard type skill set,is there, and if he builds off of it, he can, in time, be one of the most versatile players in the big ten-- down the road.

The thing I love about the idea of DJ at the five is an incredible ability to switch and hedge on ball screens. That being said… he hasn’t really shown any ability to play offensively further down the rotation than potentially the 4.

Yes, I think DJ Wilson is the single greatest X-factor on this team. More so than Wagner or Robinson or Chatman or anyone else. If he can be a weapon at the five, then that could be the missing piece of the puzzle to catapult this year’s team into serious contention for the big ten and beyond.

(As an aside, I find it more exciting to think about game-changing X-factors than whether the Big Three will make marginal efficiency improvements ;))

Honestly, I would temper expectations on Wilson based on Beilein’s comments. Sounds like hasn’t quite gotten it yet. Maybe as the season goes on he can make a jump, but I wouldn’t expect him to be much better than a standard backup center to start the year.

Yes, I think DJ Wilson is the single greatest X-factor on this team. More so than Wagner or Robinson or Chatman or anyone else. If he can be a weapon at the five, then that could be the missing piece of the puzzle to catapult this year's team into serious contention for the big ten and beyond.

(As an aside, I find it more exciting to think about game-changing X-factors than whether the Big Three will make marginal efficiency improvements ;))

I agree for sure that it’s more fun to think about someone coming out of nowhere and being a factor (DJ, Wagner, Robinson) when it wasn’t expected.

I actually have reasonably high hopes for DJ myself. I think in a similar way to how MAAR brings a unique skillset that can’t be replicated by the other guards, DJ does something similar for the forwards. Lots of questions for this team and thankfully we get to start having them answered soon.

Honestly, I would temper expectations on Wilson based on Beilein's comments. Sounds like hasn't quite gotten it yet. Maybe as the season goes on he can make a jump, but I wouldn't expect him to be much better than a standard backup center to start the year.

Agreed. I think DJ was the physical tools right now, but is definitely lacking the skill/mindset department. Obviously we haven’t seen him in live action (aside from some quick minutes early last season), but he seems very passive off-the-court so I’m hoping that doesn’t translate to on-the-court play.

Still kind of young too - DJ won’t be 20 until the end of the season.

Doyle and Chatman are the same age as Brent Hibbitts (incoming freshman)
Dawkins is 1 year and MAAR is almost 2 years older.

Still kind of young too - DJ won't be 20 until the end of the season.

Doyle and Chatman are the same age as Brent Hibbitts (incoming freshman)
Dawkins is 1 year and MAAR is almost 2 years older.

I just hope he’ll be able to dunk on people under 6’3 this year.

Honestly, I would temper expectations on Wilson based on Beilein's comments. Sounds like hasn't quite gotten it yet. Maybe as the season goes on he can make a jump, but I wouldn't expect him to be much better than a standard backup center to start the year.

Yeah, he looked completely lost out there in his limited time. He’s going to have to make a bigger leap than Chatman to be a big contributer, and I wouldn’t expect either one of them to make that jump, based on their play last year.