TJ Leaf

Leaf definitely seems like a four to me if you’re going to include him. Obviously he’ll play on the wing (so the spots are similar to a degree), but he’s going to struggle to guard threes at the next level I suspect.

Also don’t forget about the possibility of adding Seth Towns in there.

Leaf definitely seems like a four to me if you're going to include him. Obviously he'll play on the wing (so the spots are similar to a degree), but he's going to struggle to guard threes at the next level I suspect.

Also don’t forget about the possibility of adding Seth Towns in there.

By no means am I expecting Leaf, but I think that’s a realistic line up and would be thrilled with that combination of length/skill. And who knows how good Wilson is going to be, and I admit he is a solid passer, but Leaf at this point is a notch above in the playmaking/passing categories, assuming continued improvement. The only thing that line up wouldn’t have is perhaps the elite shooting we’re used to, which is why Harris or Coleman at 2G might be a bit more realistic.

Walton/Thornton Jr
Harris/Coleman or Davis/MAAR
Battle or Murray or Ahmad/Dawkins
Chatman/Donnal/Towns
Wilson/Doyle/Austin Davis or Jon Teske

or

Walton/Thornton Jr
Harris/Coleman or Davis/MAAR
Chatman/Dawkins/Towns
Donnal/Ahmad or Leaf
Wilson/Doyle/Austin Davis or Jon Teske

If Walton goes after year 2 then Devin Cannady probably gets a look.

2015: Eron Harris, Davis or Coleman and maybe Ahmad
2016: Thornton Jr, Towns, Davis or Teske, Leaf or Murray or Battle

Those are doable, no? Anyways, so many different options that projecting is kind of silly.

As good a year as 2014-2015 can be, the 2 years after could be scary.

This team is going to be scary good for a long time Guestavo. The results of NBA first rounders’ is difficult to ignore if your a wing player and the wings are the show case in the NBA.
If they continue to add decent big men UM should battle for the B1G every year. What really excites me is how difficult this team will be in tournament play and the continued exposure of the UM brand and John Beilein. Add in the PNR and how this team spreads the floor and you get good opportunities to showcase your talent and prep for the next level. I think someone will sign earlier than we saw last year.

Even if Walton leaves after two years, we probably will skip a PG in 2015. We still have Spike with MAAR as his back-up, and initiation of offense will come from wings. Spike was added late in the 2012 class because Burke was considering NBA and Brundidge transferring.

Doubt it ever happens, I Dont see Kam or DJ staying more than 2 years.

JR Kam Chatman
FR Josh Jackson
FR TJ Leaf
JR DJ Wilson
JR Donnal/Doyle

No way Josh Jackson comes to Michigan. Not even close.

The recruiting priority of 2015 is clearly the wings, both 2 and 3 spots, but 2 more desperate than 3. Harris/Coleman/Ahmed would fill the need very well but I doubt that Coleman will follow Harris. 2016 priority at this point is a PG and a combo forward, Leaf and Thorntan. If Chatman stays for only 2 years, we need someone to fill in his shoes, if he returns as Jr, he can play 3 to make Leaf room at 4. But a lot of things could change over the next year and half. Thorntan might decide sooner than latter when it is clear that we are not taking a PG in 2015, and Leaf might wait out to see how next season folds out. Indiana’s 2015 class will also play a factor in his decision.

Even if Walton leaves after two years, we probably will skip a PG in 2015. We still have Spike with MAAR as his back-up, and initiation of offense will come from wings. Spike was added late in the 2012 class because Burke was considering NBA and Brundidge transferring.

Boy I know players can make a significant leap from year 1 to year 2, but I have always considered Walton a four year player and will be pleasantly surprised if he is on the NBA radar at all the next two years.

Unlikely as it may be, if we were to offer and land Ahmad, wouldn’t that essentially be Leaf’s spot? He’s a 3/4 swing, just like Leaf correct? Throw in Kam/DJ/Donnal/Doyle at the 4/5 with Kam/Irvin/Dawkins at the 3 and you’re pretty full up front.

That math makes me think Ahmad might be a passing fancy that is going to bite us in the butt when we play against him in CBus.

Cannady is camping and has been on a few visits. A backcourt of Spike/MAAR is lean.

Ahmad will be a top 25-30 guy when it is said and done.

I will be surpised if Walton plays 4 years here. If he were three inches taller, I’d be confident he’d be at least testing the waters next year. For reference, his ORtg was 7 points higher than Trey’s his freshman year, with obvious usage and teammate quality caveats, and the same for yogi ferrell’s. Based on how well we’ve done with PGs, how well Walton shot the ball, and how fast and strong he already looked, I’d guess that four years is less likey than two years. Probably depends on how well the team does.

http://michigan.247sports.com/Article/TJ-Leaf-Michigan-Visit-Reaction-28717501

Good read. Some interesting points there regarding why he would have interest in Michigan. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Lorenz predicted Michigan for his crystal ball

Video of Leaf on the front page http://www.umhoops.com/2014/05/20/video-tj-leaf-adidas-gauntlet-indianapolis/