'15 Big Man Mike Edwards

Big man from Westland John Glenn. A name to note. He was on campus this weekend.

Nebraska, Kansas State among his offers.

I’ve seen him several times in person…both in open gym and game settings. He plays for Westland John Glenn. Not a guy that fits the traditional JB mold, not going to be able to stretch the floor with shooting, and not a guy that you can dump the ball in the post and get you a back to the basket bucket. He has developed a decent handle for a guy that big over the past 6 months, but I certainly wouldn’t feel comfortbale with him on the wing. Decent athelte and rim protector, but his movements seem very uncoordinated at times…might still be getting adjusted to his body size. He is very much a project type that may be good as an upperclassmen.

Overall, just don’t see the need for another five with Doyle, Donnal, Wilson, and Teske.

Looks like he’s a pretty good athlete, bit of face up skill and a good rebounder from watching a few clips. Haven’t seen him this year, but he also played really well at U-M camp last summer.

I like his film a bit more than MattD, but agree he is not a wing and is not being recruited for that. He did hit a couple of jumpers and looked like he has good form on them. Not explosive, but pretty agile for his size. True, no back to the basket moves on the film, but we run mostly high ball screen and rolls. He looks to have good hands and could be very effective in that way. Could be a 6’10" JMo. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I like his film a bit more than MattD, but agree he is not a wing and is not being recruited for that. He did hit a couple of jumpers and looked like he has good form on them. Not explosive, but pretty agile for his size. True, no back to the basket moves on the film, but we run mostly high ball screen and rolls. He looks to have good hands and could be very effective in that way. Could be a 6'10" JMo. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Better rim protector than JMo for sure.

Looks like he's a pretty good athlete, bit of face up skill and a good rebounder from watching a few clips. Haven't seen him this year, but he also played really well at U-M camp last summer.

I’ll say this…Mike has improved a LOT over the past 12-18 months. I can see why he’s had the recent flurry of offers. He’s probably not a guy that’s going to come in and contribute immediately wherever he ends up, but has a high ceiling.

He looks to have a lot more upside than Donnal. I think it’s obvious Doyle needs help in the paint asap.

A guy that I like a bit more than Edwards is Gerald Blackshear out of Detroit Western. I’ve seen him in person several times as well. Not as tall as Edwards, I’d estimate 6’7 - 6’8, but is more fluid, and has better footwork and athleticism. Blackshear is a very good rim protector and excellent finisher around the rim.

He just committed to UD recently, but I think that could change if UM expressed interest.

Here’s some film from Blackshear, although it’s almost 2 years old at this point.

I know that one of the bigs on the roster went through some on and off unhappiness this season. Could this be a sign that news is around the corner?

I know that one of the bigs on the roster went through some on and off unhappiness this season. Could this be a sign that news is around the corner?

Not sure if it’s that or not, but just based on the fact that they also offered a 6-9/6-10 forward in Wagner seems like they see some kind of need to fill in that range this offseason.

Some of the scouting reports I’ve seen have indeed listed him as a “stretch 4” so that may be the role they are looking for.

Seems to me like more of a guy that would project into a five than a four at U-M… He can’t shoot it, but his ball skills at that spot at the top of the key could be pretty potent.

We talk so much about fives that can shoot… but haven’t really had many.

Seems to me like more of a guy that would project into a five than a four at U-M... He can't shoot it, but his ball skills at that spot at the top of the key could be pretty potent.

We talk so much about fives that can shoot… but haven’t really had many.

Can you imagine how lethal Brian Cook would’ve been in a UM jersey?

It’s certainly being hinted at on other forums that someone is on the way out.

My guess is this - Wagner is being recruited as a four, Edwards a five, and Donnal is on the proverbial hot seat.

I think they enter next year with Doyle and Wilson as fives, Wagner (if he comes) and Robinson/Chatman as fours, and Dawkins gets his minutes at the wing, backing up Irvin and Levert.

I would think Edwards is a prime redshirt candidate.

I also imagine they would take Edwards and Wagner, and move Hatch to a medical scholarship.

I could definitely see this guy at the four. He has a nice shot and handle, based on this clip alone. He might be a better 5, but I could see him playing either.

I also imagine they would take Edwards *and* Wagner, and move Hatch to a medical scholarship.

In that scenario, I think it’s Max’s and attritted’s (many are speculating Donnal) scholarships that are being used, not Austin’s.

This guy looks to me like a Plan B if Wagner elects to stay in Germany. I think he’s a five all the way in JB’s offense and he might even bump Wilson back to the 4 spot (since I think that was what they were originally going to have him play before the demise of Horford).

I read the comments before watching the video. I ended up being pleasantly surprised. He’s not a great player at this stage, but dang, all the tools are there.
He’s pretty fluid for a 6’10" guy. I think he’s desperately in need of coaching, confidence, and experience. He plays very small right now. Once he learns how to use his size he can be a integral part of the team. I would be content if he ends up at M. I would expect a RS, after that it’s a question of how much he wants to put into his craft. The talent and size is there.
M is not for everyone. Coach Beilein is a nice a guy as you could hope to meet, but I get the impression, that he is very demanding on his players. If Edwards gets an opportunity to come to M, and works his tail off, Coach Beilein and company will maximize his basketball potential.

My guess is this - Wagner is being recruited as a four, Edwards a five, and Donnal is on the proverbial hot seat.

I think they enter next year with Doyle and Wilson as fives, Wagner (if he comes) and Robinson/Chatman as fours, and Dawkins gets his minutes at the wing, backing up Irvin and Levert.

I would think Edwards is a prime redshirt candidate.

I also imagine they would take Edwards and Wagner, and move Hatch to a medical scholarship.

I don’t see any way they would take both especially with Teske coming in for 2016.

Clearly another project. The recruiting theory is, if you are going to take a chance, take a chance on size. Bigs tend to develop later than guards. All that being said, I think he has potential based of his highlights. Haven’t seen his lowlights though.