The new site design is looking good

Nice job.

Agreed, much more user friendly and cosmetically pleasing vs the previous version

Thanks guys, will have a full announcement up soon.

Well done!

First time I had logged in since “Horror 2.0” - was expecting “much despair & rending of garments.” What a nice surprise to find this tremendous rehab instead!!

Love the new site!! Great job guys

I spend 50% of my time here on the forum and 50% on the blog. It’s giving me a headache to go back and forth between the two different layouts. You going to get this switched over, too?

I spend 50% of my time here on the forum and 50% on the blog. It's giving me a headache to go back and forth between the two different layouts. You going to get this switched over, too?
We have plans for the forums, but need a bit of time to catch our breath.

Not a fan of the new site design. Maybe it grows on me.

Well I have lived with the new layout for a few days and it is not growing on me. If the goal is to emulate an ESPN-style website, bravo, you have succeeded. Then again, I would never, ever give $50 to ESPN. I like the old website better.

It is really not easier to find things and there’s these d*mn photos popping out at me all the time. The text is too big, at least on a computer. It’s all about the content, not the visuals. In this case, the visuals distract from the high quality of the writing.

At least for now, I am refraining from making a donation.

Prior to the new website design I always typed in “umhoops” in my Google search and the umhoops.com would always pop up first in the search results. Now I do not get umhoops.com in the search results–I thought that was weird. Instead I get Dylan Burkhardt’s twitter, the forum and then umhoops but links to specific and old posts–that is I do not get the link to the general site: “umhoops.com”. I thought you might like to know…

For example, I just now googled “umhoops” the only search results that take me to umhoops blog are an old article about TJ Leaf.

For example, I just now googled "umhoops" the only search results that take me to umhoops blog are an old article about TJ Leaf.

Thanks for passing that along… Not sure what’s going on but will look into it.

Well I have lived with the new layout for a few days and it is not growing on me. If the goal is to emulate an ESPN-style website, bravo, you have succeeded. Then again, I would never, ever give $50 to ESPN. I like the old website better.

It is really not easier to find things and there’s these d*mn photos popping out at me all the time. The text is too big, at least on a computer. It’s all about the content, not the visuals. In this case, the visuals distract from the high quality of the writing.

At least for now, I am refraining from making a donation.

Personally I find the articles much easier to read… What pictures are currently bothering you? Would love to tweak things to make them easier to use if possible.

Dylan,

OK, here’s a very specific example. Before I could get the schedule with 1 click. Now I have to hover (assuming I know to do this) and this big panel pops up with pictures (actually article links), and then I slide over to get my schedule. This is an enhancement? I just want to look at the schedule.

BTW, I sure would like you to include a box score for each game, and link this to your schedule page. BTW, I’m talking about a classic box score, just like you might find in the Freep.

In general, basketball pictures are not really all that exciting to look at. Dustin Johnston does take excellent pictures, but these are still rather boring to me. So in general, make the pictures smaller. (Video is different.)

For example, I just now googled "umhoops" the only search results that take me to umhoops blog are an old article about TJ Leaf.

I think I may have fixed the search issue… Hopefully should be back to normal in the next few days. Let me know.

I think the site is a huge upgrade for mobile users, which I believe is what you intended, but I am not loving parts of the desktop version. I think the spacing between articles in the feed could be better, I have trouble deciphering between when articles and adds start and end. Overall it does look crisp but I have noticed that I am no longer as willing to scroll down to read, or even see the titles, of all the posts. Not sure what percentage the poor play on the court has to do with that.

I think the site is a huge upgrade for mobile users, which I believe is what you intended, but I am not loving parts of the desktop version. I think the spacing between articles in the feed could be better, I have trouble deciphering between when articles and adds start and end. Overall it does look crisp but I have noticed that I am no longer as willing to scroll down to read, or even see the titles, of all the posts. Not sure what percentage the poor play on the court has to do with that.

x2

Thanks guys… We can definitely tweak the spacing. Do you think the posts are too close or too far apart? Bigger excerpts or shorter excerpts?

Now that I take a good second look it doesn’t look as cramped as when you originally launched the site, I think possibly because you don’t have as many featured pictures and articles?

For me where I see it being confusing is when you have the comments count as the footer of one article and the header of another, I think this only happens on the top feature article though. The other thing that I find confusing is when you have a feature picture with the article title/link within the picture. When that happens you don’t have any spacing between it and the article below it or above it, I wasn’t sure if they were the same article with a different link or not. I took screen shots that I can send if you don’t understand what I am saying.

I am definitely being nit-picky and would say overall the site looks really, really good. If it doesn’t bother you or anyone else I would leave it alone.