That game is on beilein

Posted it in another thread, but I was so upset with the ending of the game I had to post a thread on it. I think the subject says it all. That was piss poor coaching and execution to end the game. Once a team figures the 1-3-1 out and starts hitting shots in the corner or getting short corner, you have to bail on it. It works in spurts, but there was no reason to switch back to it when nunn hit the three in the corner. It was the only good looks they were getting in the game in that second half.

Then you allow a five second count? Call a timeout. Plus we don’t even get a shot off on our last possession? Disgusting, no reason we shouldn’t have won that game. Just bonehead stuff down the stretch.

I rarely criticize Beilein, but man this one is on him completely.

You have a gameplan and have guys focus for 37 minutes, you have lead for pretty about 90% of the game, have kept an atmosphere that wanted to go nuts pretty much out of it the entire time, and you just hand it to them on a silver platter.

This truly was disgusting as you said. There is really no other way to put it. The whole we are young thing doesn’t work - our youth didn’t matter for the first 37 minutes we seemed to be pretty damn fine.

We had an advantage down-low, we stop going to it.

To not even get a shot off at the end, and actually give them a shot at the end was completely absurd.

Times like this is why I get angry that we don’t manage our roster better and the fact we had to go into a complete rebuild 8 years into Beilein’s tenure. Then we have injuries and have zero veterans with significant playing time besides Spike.

This is beyond upsetting because you sit there and watch a game for 2 plus hours which we have the lead the entire time only to watch us hand it to the other team on a platter in the last minute.

You sit there and hope and believe we can put together a run and get some kind of postseason play (a win here would have been 2 signature wins over Illinois).

Another great effort completely wasted.

I do understand he has been dealt a shitty hand with everyone leaving/the injuries, but I actually thought theres been a few games hes mad tactical errors. I mean us winning this game wouldn’t have led us to a tourney bid or anything as I see more losses coming up, but I just don’t like to give games away.

We just haven’t taken games when they were there for us to take this year. We instead let it slip through our fingers. Pretty frustrating stuff and I am sure he agrees.

I do understand he has been dealt a shitty hand with everyone leaving/the injuries, but I actually thought theres been a few games hes mad tactical errors. I mean us winning this game wouldn't have led us to a tourney bid or anything as I see more losses coming up, but I just don't like to give games away.

We just haven’t taken games when they were there for us to take this year. We instead let it slip through our fingers. Pretty frustrating stuff and I am sure he agrees.

Well winning this game kept the tiny hopes of a bid up, I think that is why you saw Spike so pissed. Even if it was 10% chance, these guys knew it and played like they wanted it for 37 minutes.

I agree with you this game goes in the botched column more than a true loss. Unfortunately they count the same. We simply gave the game away. We outplayed a team that was had everything going for them (home game, hope for a bid, a winning streak) pretty much the entire night. But we failed to finish the game.

This along with the Michigan State game, we let both slip through our fingers. I feel bad for Beilein because the guy does everything right (doesn’t run his mouth when he beats people) like a lot of other lamebrain coaches do. He is all class.

But we have a razor thing margin for error, and when Beilein makes a tactical mistake, that basically kills us.

This is the one downfall JB has. They always struggle with inbounds play, for whatever reason. They also have end of clock play calling as well. His teams have really been very poor the last few years in these situations. I don’t get it either.

Few more comments that aren’t exactly beilein related. Although I believe I guess my main beef with him is he doesn’t know when the 1 3 1 is finished. It works but once it stops confusing team and they figure it out it seems to be very simple to break down.

I also I guess kinda wonder why he doesn’t get on his guys to go down low more. Surprisingly there has been a few games this year doyle and bielfeldt were killing it down low on offense. For whatever reason our guys don’t want to feed them consistently. Especially when they were switching yesterday there was three or four possessions they should have fed them against smaller guys.

To their credit they fed it more then they usually do, but when doyle has a 5’9 guy on him and is being fronted you have to toss it up to him. Even when belfeldt misses it on the block its usually a miss I can live with because he barely missed and it was a good look. With our lack of consistent perimeter shooting a good post game is essential, so you gotta capitalize when a team can’t guard down low.

Agree with pretty much all of this. I also have an issue with the way we foul up to the bonus on the last possession of halves. We do it so quickly that the other team usually ends up with at least 7 or 8 seconds by the time we hit six fouls, so we start the second half with our guards having 2 fouls without really gaining a significant advantage. If the other team is going to drive just to get fouled, then play defense and force them to take a bad shot or turn the ball over, maybe you’ll even get a possession out of it going the other way.

When the situation was reversed at the end of regulation, Irvin dribbled to nowhere for a few seconds instead of driving to force the foul, and thus we ended up with 4-5 seconds to put a shot up instead of 8ish. That’s a big difference when you’re inbounding from the backcourt (which I agree is a problem in and of itself).

I also think this team expects to lose at the end of close games, which is something the coaches need to figure out. Not saying that’s an easy thing to do, but it is their job.

I also I guess kinda wonder why he doesn't get on his guys to go down low more. Surprisingly there has been a few games this year doyle and bielfeldt were killing it down low on offense. For whatever reason our guys don't want to feed them consistently. Especially when they were switching yesterday there was three or four possessions they should have fed them against smaller guys.

I actually think they did a pretty good job of this yesterday in the second half when Illinois was switching ball screens.

How we got in that position losing the turnover battle and shooting 23% from 3 is beyond me.

Great job using the tools we have to get to the end (again), just need to close. Some questionable calls but at the same time, the game plan took us 95% of the way. I wasn’t expecting that at all on the road.

Hopefully the guys learn from it and move on to the next game. Can’t let this stretch define us.

I also I guess kinda wonder why he doesn't get on his guys to go down low more. Surprisingly there has been a few games this year doyle and bielfeldt were killing it down low on offense. For whatever reason our guys don't want to feed them consistently. Especially when they were switching yesterday there was three or four possessions they should have fed them against smaller guys.

I actually think they did a pretty good job of this yesterday in the second half when Illinois was switching ball screens.

Really? I saw what OP saw, guards and wings unwilling or unable to feed Max or Ricky in the post on mismatches time and time again.

Really? I saw what OP saw, guards and wings unwilling or unable to feed Max or Ricky in the post on mismatches time and time again.

When you don’t work on entering the ball to the low post in practice, don’t expect to see it in the game. Since we really have no low post options on the block in the offense, I think that’s what it comes down to.

The coaches out there know you can’t tell these kids what to do. You have to show them and rep it, then rep it and then rep it some more before they can execute it in a game.

Last play in this clip from 5KP is one time they got Max vs. smaller guard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u8oBrBv6tY

There was a great possession that ended up in an Irvin three I believe where they got the ball into Max on the switch then kicked the ball out and moved it for the open three.

Would have to watch more tape.

Here’s the play I was talking about:

Here’s another where Doyle blows the layup

UM hoops, on that second paragraph I concede they did it better then they usually do. I just still saw some possessions especially early where they just look off doyle or bielfeldt for no reason. Not consistently going down low when its there is part of the reason teams just hound us on the three point line and we can’t get a good look leading to lower shooting percentages (also we just don’t shoot as well as usual).

They did a “pretty good job” yesterday compared to many games where they didn’t even consider it I totally agree with you there. I just still saw wasted opportunities to feed the post.

Also anyone notice we actually beat guys back door a lot and guys don’t pass it like we use to years ago? Dakich hitting dawkins had me so excited because I feel like many times this year that back door was there and we just refused to make the pass. Maybe their scared guys can’t finish at the rim? No trust? not sure but was real happy someone made the pass.

They are a poor passing team. Spike is really the only good passer on the team that is currently playing. I would say everyone else is below average and in some instances, well below average. I think that’s one of the reasons why we struggle offensively.

They are a poor passing team. Spike is really the only good passer on the team that is currently playing. I would say everyone else is below average and in some instances, well below average. I think that's one of the reasons why we struggle offensively.

I agree.

They are a poor passing team. Spike is really the only good passer on the team that is currently playing. I would say everyone else is below average and in some instances, well below average. I think that's one of the reasons why we struggle offensively.

Yep. This has been the case all year… Spike is the only above-average passer on the healthy roster and Beilein’s offense needs good passers to really click. U-M’s offense doesn’t generate interior scoring via the post-up, instead that offense is supposed to come via good cutting and passing. That’s very rare for this team right now.

Where was Mark Donnal in that game. I really think he is a good player off the bench that makes an impact.