The art of inbounding the basketball

Love watching Beilein coach, but after being a head coach for 30 plus years, still amazes me that inbounding the ball can be so difficult for his teams. Or at least at michigan

Does anybody know why michigan has sucked at inbounding the ball, even when they have been good they couldnt inbound?

Missed free throws will always lose you a game, but really the NW game comes down to Beilein’s/michigan’s achilles of not being able to execute an inbounds play.

Thankfully this game had no meaning behind it…feel really bad for this team

For one thing, the only guy we apparently trust also happens to be the smallest guy in the arena for both teams.

I mean, I understand why Beilein doesn’t trust anyone else - Bielfedlt’s pass to no one is a great example. And its not the first time Max has done that. He did the same thing all the time on those type of plays.

This team has zero depth, but doesn’t take the easy points. We needed a 4 point lead, these guys failed to get it to that point.

Irvin had a stretch of free throws where the shots were pure as can be. and then he misses the front end of a 1 and 1.

Spike 22 straight, missed the first. Then he missed again in OT.

We don’t rebound, we don’t foul up 3, we lose games where we have 6-7 point leads with minutes left.

Thankfully this game had no meaning behind it…feel really bad for this team

This game did have meaning. Winning would have likely secured a respectable 9-9 (non-losing) record and a NIT bid. Losing results in a 8-10 record in a weak Big Ten conference and another few days of what ifs thanks to our late game play. Also making the NIT is probably over at this point.

I think one of less mentioned attributes of an inbounds play is that our guys (especially without Caris and Walton) simply lack the agility and speed to get enough separation in order to receive a clean pass.

@ Fresh You are 100% correct. I’ve been screaming about this for years. What ever he’s doing, he needs to scrap it. Throw away all of his out of bound plays and start fresh. They clearly do not work. Maybe have his assistants come up with some fresh ideas. Any pressure at all and they struggle. And they never seem to get an easy bucket, or seldom even get a good look on an inbound play under their own basket. This is supposed to be a great scoring opportunity.

On the other end, anyone but Spike. He is your best ball handler and best free throw, he should be receiving the ball! And I don’t want to hear that crap “he is the only one Jon trusts”. That being the case, nobody else should even handle the ball in the offense, except to shoot it.

Out of bounds plays are all about execution. Practice, practice, practice. Then practice it some more!

To counter the lack of speed and agility, run your man off a screen (Do not telegraph it.) If they switch, whoever set the screen, open up and flash to the ball while keeping the defender on your back. If you have to use a little “hook” with your arm to keep them there, so be it. It rarely gets called.

Here’s the thing though MattD, we have struggled to inbound the ball every year JB has been here. I don’t think it’s lack of agility and speed. Certainly, Northwestern isn’t any more agile or faster than us. That’s a slow team.

Inbounding the basketball is a fundamental flaw in JB’s coaching philosophy.

To counter the lack of speed and agility, run your man off a screen (Do not telegraph it.) If they switch, whoever set the screen, open up and flash to the ball while keeping the defender on your back. If you have to use a little "hook" with your arm to keep them there, so be it. It rarely gets called.

Here’s the thing though MattD, we have struggled to inbound the ball every year JB has been here. I don’t think it’s lack of agility and speed. Certainly, Northwestern isn’t any more agile or faster than us. That’s a slow team.

Inbounding the basketball is a fundamental flaw in JB’s coaching philosophy.

I totally agree, just saying that you can run any number of screens you want, but if the defender can get around the screen before our guy can get enough seperation to allow the inbounder to put some air on the pass…it’s going to be hard to get the ball when the defense is pressuring us. I really saw this in the home game vs OSU, there were times in the 2nd half where the only person to touch the ball was the guy bringing the ball up the court because OSU was face guarding everyone and playing ball denial. It was a real struggle for Spike to get the ball because he couldn’t get separation.

I got cut off the last nine seconds of OT as I taped the game. To come on the internet to see that they lost in double OT is sickening. Beilen has been really really suspect this year. First off why not foul so they cant shoot the three?

second why is spike inbounding? I get it max cant inbound the ball as he always throws it away. Your telling me dawkins can’t get the ball in? MAAR? anybody but spike? That stupid play he draws up with all three guys at half court is ridiculous. You are literally better off doing what they did at half court, and have every body moving around not set and then randomly cutting.

Its literally so easy to inbound the ball. I don’t understand and am baffled that they can’t do it. It says on espn beilen said in the first OT he was considering fouling but they said “no were not fouling” whos they? the kids? why would you be listening to the same group of guys who can’t figure out how to cut and get open for an inbound?

I want to vomit.

I see our kids trying to juke their defenders to get open. All the defender is worried about is staying in front of you, they’re not going to be fooled by jukes and jives.

Our screens were abysmal in open play last night, and even worse on dead ball situations. Kids need to get much better at setting and utilizing them.

I got cut off the last nine seconds of OT as I taped the game. To come on the internet to see that they lost in double OT is sickening. Beilen has been really really suspect this year. First off why not foul so they cant shoot the three?

second why is spike inbounding? I get it max cant inbound the ball as he always throws it away. Your telling me dawkins can’t get the ball in? MAAR? anybody but spike? That stupid play he draws up with all three guys at half court is ridiculous. You are literally better off doing what they did at half court, and have every body moving around not set and then randomly cutting.

Its literally so easy to inbound the ball. I don’t understand and am baffled that they can’t do it. It says on espn beilen said in the first OT he was considering fouling but they said “no were not fouling” whos they? the kids? why would you be listening to the same group of guys who can’t figure out how to cut and get open for an inbound?

I want to vomit.

I don’t understand why Beilein asks the team if they should foul. He has mentioned a lot about us struggling with very basic elements of the game - so why allow these young guys to make that call. To top it off, our guys weren’t even ready to stop the shot after they just said they want to defend rather than foul.

I want to vomit.

I don’t understand why Beilein asks the team if they should foul. He has mentioned a lot about us struggling with very basic elements of the game - so why allow these young guys to make that call. To top it off, our guys weren’t even ready to stop the shot after they just said they want to defend rather than foul.

That being said, its simple math that it is a 3 point game and two points will not win it, especially after the buzzer beater in the first half they should have known better and fouled. That game ended any NIT hopes. That game was the story of the season.

It also cost them a win against Illinois. Up 8 with just under 3 to go, and Mich trying to inbound the ball at mid-court. Jon Groce, w/o even calling a timeout, puts his biggest guy on Rahkman (throwing it in). Three attempts and still couldn’t get it in. 5 sec call. Illinois ball. They come down hit a three in a matter of seconds. The rest is history.

That Rahkman inbound explains why he doesn’t put the ball in play anymore. Bielfeldt’s baseball passes explain why he doesn’t.

It’s no secret that Irvin or Dawkins aren’t very good at doing much with the ball other than passing it.

Michigan had ran that same inbound play twice in a row before Spike and Zak turned it over – a lot of it was just poor execution.

This team struggles mightily at getting the ball in. And it is embarrassing. But to say that Beilein should scrap his out of bounds plays doesn’t strike me as the right answer. We just need a better passer over 6 ft tall and for the guys to execute. Am I wrong in remembering us scoring out of timeouts often the last two years? I remember announcers talking about it being a strength of Beilein’s. And there was the great end of game winner by Robinson last year at Purdue. I question some of coach’s thoughts on fouling, etc. but I have confidence in his play calling coming off timeouts.

This team struggles mightily at getting the ball in. And it is embarrassing. But to say that Beilein should scrap his out of bounds plays doesn't strike me as the right answer. We just need a better passer over 6 ft tall and for the guys to execute. Am I wrong in remembering us scoring out of timeouts often the last two years? I remember announcers talking about it being a strength of Beilein's. And there was the great end of game winner by Robinson last year at Purdue. I question some of coach's thoughts on fouling, etc. but I have confidence in his play calling coming off timeouts.

Either way, its on JB. If you can’t find a better passer over 6ft tall, then either you need to improve recruiting or develop guys to the extent they have the ability to complete an inbound pass. Obviously a coach can only do so much development when the roster is so young, but I don’t think its too much to ask a coach to develop a team to properly inbound the ball without issue regardless of youth/inexperience this late in the season. We always talk about JB being a great fundamental teacher, and rightfully so, but it seems we have struggled mightily in several fundamental skills this year…inbounds passing, screens, boxing out.

#23 was pretty good at it.

This team struggles mightily at getting the ball in. And it is embarrassing. But to say that Beilein should scrap his out of bounds plays doesn't strike me as the right answer. We just need a better passer over 6 ft tall and for the guys to execute. Am I wrong in remembering us scoring out of timeouts often the last two years? I remember announcers talking about it being a strength of Beilein's. And there was the great end of game winner by Robinson last year at Purdue. I question some of coach's thoughts on fouling, etc. but I have confidence in his play calling coming off timeouts.

Either way, its on JB. If you can’t find a better passer over 6ft tall, then either you need to improve recruiting or develop guys to the extent they have the ability to complete an inbound pass. Obviously a coach can only do so much development when the roster is so young, but I don’t think its too much to ask a coach to develop a team to properly inbound the ball without issue regardless of youth/inexperience this late in the season. We always talk about JB being a great fundamental teacher, and rightfully so, but it seems we have struggled mightily in several fundamental skills this year…inbounds passing, screens, boxing out.

I’m impressed that you were able to slip a “recruit better” jab into a discussion on inbounding. While we could use better recruiting for most other aspects of the game, our current players should be more than adequate to get the damn ball inbounds.

Inbounding from your opponent’s baseline, especially when you can run the baseline, should not be this difficult. And I mainly fault JB for our struggles here, although the players bear some blame.

First, he needs to trust someone other than Spike to inbound the ball. Spike is too short, so his passing lanes are very limited. Also, Spike is our best and probably our most clutch FT shooter. I want him receiving the ball in that situation.

Also, it seems like we typically just bunch 4 players near the free throw line and send the same 2 guards towards the ball (or the corner, unfortunately). It’s predictable, allows for too many defenders in the area, and limits the space the defenders have to cover. We had success last night when we started our two guards by themselves at the 3-point line. The area was less clogged and the defenders had more area to defend. I think we only utilized that set once.

We could also run the 4-across play that is run successfully at all levels of basketball. You can send one guy deep, one or two toward the baseline, etc. spacing is improved and the defenders don’t know if their man is going to release deep or toward the inbounder.

I don’t ever recall seeing a team struggle so much to inbound the ball. It very nearly cost us in the tournament against Tennessee last year, and has hurt us several times this year.

Key word is your post is should…but if the current personnel can’t, then it is the coach’s job to find someone that can since, as you say, it shouldn’t be that hard.

why not just having irvin literally just box a guy out? loft it over his head safely into irvins arms? almost worst case scenario is they grab irvin for a foul. or you could push off like everyone else in the country does. its called so few times too at that point in the game. you initiate it push off slightly boom your open, ball game.

If I was beilen (i wish) at practice until our next game, I would literally do nothing but inbound plays for two hours. New ones I drew up, along with just doing it over and over as punishment/to make sure this never ever occurs again next year.