Syracuse - NCAA Sanctions

Thought it was relevant, because this may aid us in the pursuits of Tyus Battle and Jamal Murray to a lesser degree. A 3 scholarship reduction for 4 years is huge.

Syracuse penalties include five-year probation, scholarship reductions, vacation of wins, 9-game suspension for head basketball coach.

— Inside the NCAA (@InsidetheNCAA) March 6, 2015

Nine-game suspension for Jim Boeheim, though, and significant scholarship reduction: three scholarships per year for four years.

— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) March 6, 2015

Dylan - have no idea if the sanctions will impact 2015 recruits that have already signed LOIs (I assume no), but will this impact Matthew Moyer’s ability to go to Syracuse?

Dylan - if I’m reading this correctly, this would imply Moyer can no longer attend Syracuse assuming they don’t have massive transfers, as the NCAA limit is 13 scholarships and Syracuse will have 10 players on scholarship in the 16-17 season…which is the max allowable per the NCAA sanctioned reduction of 3 schollies per year. Looks like Moyer may be back on the market

Here's the list of NCAA penalties against Syracuse from @InsidetheNCAA: http://t.co/GfmQU5lp1s pic.twitter.com/CLdAtbdcnj

— SB Nation (@SBNation) March 6, 2015

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/syracuse

Yeah, it looks like Mr. Moyer will take his services elsewhere:

The scholarship reductions start in 2016-17 year, it seems. Syracuse currently has one commit and 11 scholarship players for that season.

— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) March 6, 2015

Ouch! That’s one of the toughest slaps the NCAA has dished. I’m surprised.

Ouch! That's one of the toughest slaps the NCAA has dished. I'm surprised.

Agree, I’m shocked.

I’m assuming Moyer will reconsider OSU, and if he lands there, they won’t presumably have a spot for Towns.

On the Battle front, they were recruiting him as a primary ballhandler. Gary Battle said that was a big plus, so this eliminates some of our biggest competition.

I'm assuming Moyer will reconsider OSU, and if he lands there, they won't presumably have a spot for Towns.

On the Battle front, they were recruiting him as a primary ballhandler. Gary Battle said that was a big plus, so this eliminates some of our biggest competition.

Hopefully has a nice trickle affect. It can’t hurt at least.

Why they have to do us so dirty

— Matthew Moyer (@matthewmoyer13) March 6, 2015

Get clean with OSU Matthew! We will gladly take your good friend Seth

A Moyer commit to OSU would make me feel really really good about Towns for sure.

I don’t think Syracuse will have massive transfers, because no post-season ban beyond this year. If anything, the younger players may actually like it because they will be all but guaranteed playing time…net result is no Moyer.

Or both him and Seth If we miss on other prospects. Why not?

Why they have to do us so dirty

— Matthew Moyer (@matthewmoyer13) March 6, 2015

Get clean with OSU Matthew! We will gladly take your good friend Seth

https://twitter.com/matthewmoyer13/status/573897306631704576

“Why they have to do us so dirty”

Hopefully very good news on the recruiting front for us.

Get clean with OSU Matthew!

Oh the irony!

Why not come here with Towns or is Moyer to similar to what we already have?

Don’t know how this is possible unless the staff knows of some attrition or they are letting a 15 out of the NLI. In any event, this pretty much shuts the door on Tyus Battle to Syracuse if true

Espn 60 Matthew Moyer "I just spoke to coach Boeheim and I am staying committed to SU, they assured me of my scholarship" Moyer told Espn.

— Paul Biancardi (@PaulBiancardi) March 7, 2015

I’ll say this, these sanctions seem pretty harsh considering there are plenty of teams out there that have done and are doing the same thing right now, yet hiding behind the curtain.

Can anyone explain how North Carolina dodged this bullet? Or are they still in hot water?

Matthew Moyer: "Everything is good to go (for 2016)" #CuseConfidential

— Scott Brown (@RivalsSU) March 7, 2015