State of college basketball, recruiting

This discussion was created from comments split from: Any visitors this weekend?.

I’m really starting to dislike college basketball. The games are boring now, since refs no longer call fouls. The Big Ten should be embarrassed with these 50-45 games that have become commonplace.

Meanwhile, schools like Kentucky and Kansas are basically operating pro teams (a “players only” dorm? Come on) and the NCAA could care less. And then there are programs where cheating is a way of life. I feel confident that there is nothing about the LSU basketball program - other than improper benefits and a promise you don’t have to attend class - that would cause them to land five star recruits. Yet they are.

And I haven’t even mentioned the shoe companies, and their absurd influence. Juxtaposed against that backdrop is Michigan, a program that doesn’t cheat and where kids are expected to attend class. And guess what? After a great four year run - with a title game appearance, a national player of the year, six NBA players (Morris, Hardaway, Burke, Stauskas, Robinson, McGary) and soon to be a seventh (Levert), and with a team that plays an exciting offensive style, now we’re struggling to get recruits?

Frankly, I think it speaks more to the mindset of today’s recruits than anything else - they want the path of least resistance to the NBA, and someone kissing their ass and telling them how great they are at all times. It’s no wonder most of these guys wind up bankrupt after a few years in the NBA, and usually with no degree to fall back on. And I have to laugh at all the grown men (coaches, “handlers,” agents, shoe company reps) making fools of themselves pandering to this nonsense.

Not trying to be funny, but who doesn’t want to be told how great they are and head down a path that leads to millions?

Sure, everyone likes attention and accolades. But with most of these kids, aside from the occasional LeBron James type talent, their willingness to work hard and realize how much they still have to learn will be critical to making it to the next level. And I’d suggest that when you already (falsely) think you’re the greatest thing since sliced bread, your motivation to work hard isn’t nearly as great.

If I’m a parent, I’m looking for an
honest coach that is going to make my kid work hard to reach his potential, and a good school where my kid will actually be forced to attend class and learn something, even if it’s only for two years.

Sure, everyone likes attention and accolades. But with most of these kids, aside from the occasional LeBron James type talent, their willingness to work hard and realize how much they still have to learn will be critical to making it to the next level. And I'd suggest that when you already (falsely) think you're the greatest thing since sliced bread, your motivation to work hard isn't nearly as great.

If I’m a parent, I’m looking for an
honest coach that is going to make my kid work hard to reach his potential, and a good school where my kid will actually be forced to attend class and learn something, even if it’s only for two years.

From a moral standpoint, I absolutely concur with you. But from a functional standpoint, that’s just not the way the world works in contemporary times in light of the economic climate and global job competition.

From an economic standpoint, it seems to me that the two best ways for a basketball recruit to make money are getting to the NBA, and having a good degree to fall back on in case the NBA does not work out. It seems to me Michigan ought to rank pretty highly in both categories.

From an economic standpoint, it seems to me that the two best ways for a basketball recruit to make money are getting to the NBA, and having a good degree to fall back on in case the NBA does not work out. It seems to me Michigan ought to rank pretty highly in both categories.

Overseas

But there’s no reason why choosing Michigan would be detrimental to a career overseas.

But there's no reason why choosing Michigan would be detrimental to a career overseas.

Academic rigor may be a perceived roadblock to some. You have to put yourself into the mind of a 15-18 year old urban youth in most cases. Why spend a year bustin your ass when you can simply take a BS courseload in route to a lucrative contract?

Think it is more about being a teenager with clear early departure potential than being an urban youth case. Coaches like JB and Izzo demand more from you as a student athlete than a Self, Coach K, Cal or Roy Williams do. Go somewhere where your clear focus is basketball and the atmosphere will enable it. If you develop as a player, you should have the money to go back and get your degree.

I get that kids want the easy path of least resistance. It’s sad some of them don’t have adults in their lives to guide them, and it’s sad that some “universities” require nothing of them as students and could care less about them as individuals so long as they sell tickets.

I agree that the rules of going to the NBA could be changed however, the game itself blows away the NBA in my opinion. Players play to prove something, it is fast paced, the fans are way more into it, and the players play a lot harder. It is a better game in my opinion.

I agree that the rules of going to the NBA could be changed however, the game itself blows away the NBA in my opinion. Players play to prove something, it is fast paced, the fans are way more into it, and the players play a lot harder. It is a better game in my opinion.

Couldn’t disagree more. While the spirit of college sports certainly exceeds the professional game, there simply is no comparison in terms of the quality of play. Any college player that is decent leaves after 1-2 years, and that is why you see college basketball struggling to put out a good product…UM and MSU are prime examples.

Couldn’t disagree more. While the spirit of college sports certainly exceeds the professional game, there simply is no comparison in terms of the quality of play. Any college player that is decent leaves after 1-2 years, and that is why you see college basketball struggling to put out a good product…UM and MSU are prime examples.

I see where you are coming from, but what I am saying is if I was forced to sit down and chose between watching a College Basketball game or NBA game, I wouldn't think for a second and chose the college game. It is just a different energy that makes it exciting to watch.

Meh, depends on your definition of quality. There’s way too much isolation and pick and pop with no defensive effort in the NBA. The playoffs are entertaining, but outside of a few teams/players it’s not worth watching the regular season. I’d say the ball movement, team play, and defensive effort make the college game higher quality, despite the obvious talent gap.

Meh, depends on your definition of quality. There’s way too much isolation and pick and pop with no defensive effort in the NBA. The playoffs are entertaining, but outside of a few teams/players it’s not worth watching the regular season. I’d say the ball movement, team play, and defensive effort make the college game higher quality, despite the obvious talent gap.

Disagree, the quality off offense, skill, and athleticism amongst NBA players makes it nearly impossible to defend. Effort looks better in college because offensive players simply aren't that good. All relative

I see where you are coming from, but what I am saying is if I was forced to sit down and chose between watching a College Basketball game or NBA game, I wouldn't think for a second and chose the college game. It is just a different energy that makes it exciting to watch.

For the most part I would agree the atmosphere at a college game exceeds a pro game, unless we are talking playoffs or rivalry game. From a quality standpoint, simply no comparison though, talent level in NBA is exponentially better

Well of course talent is far better in the NBA, as it is with all professional sports, but I don’t think that having better talent necessarily makes it more entertaining to watch. The tanking of half of the teams in the NBA doesn’t help their case either.

Disagree, the quality off offense, skill, and athleticism amongst NBA players makes it nearly impossible to defend. Effort looks better in college because offensive players simply aren't that good. All relative

Well that’s kind of the point, no zone defense/defensive 3 seconds allows that individual athleticism to dominate. There’s a reason it doesn’t in international competition, partially because it’s a group of guys together for a month vs actual teams, but partly it’s the rule differences.

Well of course talent is far better in the NBA, as it is with all professional sports, but I don't think that having better talent necessarily makes it more entertaining to watch. The tanking of half of the teams in the NBA doesn't help their case either.

And the cap increase in the next few years is going to make things worse