State of college basketball, recruiting

Yeah it’ll only further increase the disparity.

Yeah it'll only further increase the disparity.

As a lifelong Lakers fan, that’s what I absolutely love.

A few comments:

1. The atmosphere and energy of the average college game is way better than it is for the average NBA game, no doubt because college teams play 30 games instead of 82, and there are good college rivalries, while there are very few good pro rivalries.

2. That said, I just hate the way college games are officiated. The skill level is already significantly depleted compared to what it was 20-25 years ago, and now they make it that much harder to score by allowing a TON of contact that was never allowed in the past. A great college game, for me, would be the 1993 Michigan-Indiana game in Ann Arbor (even though we lost). Fast-paced, lots of scoring, tons of athleticism, good shooting.

3. I don’t agree that the pros don’t play defense. I agree 100% with MattD - the skill level is that much better. Some of the best scorers in the game are just nearly impossible to defend.

4. While the NBA regular season can be boring, the playoffs - and especially the later rounds - are great. I had an opportunity to attend games 1, 2, and 7 of the 2010 NBA championship between the Lakers and Celtics, and the environment and intensity at the Staples Center was electric.

A few comments:
  1. The atmosphere and energy of the average college game is way better than it is for the average NBA game, no doubt because college teams play 30 games instead of 82, and there are good college rivalries, while there are very few good pro rivalries.

2. That said, I just hate the way college games are officiated. The skill level is already significantly depleted compared to what it was 20-25 years ago, and now they make it that much harder to score by allowing a TON of contact that was never allowed in the past. A great college game, for me, would be the 1993 Michigan-Indiana game in Ann Arbor (even though we lost). Fast-paced, lots of scoring, tons of athleticism, good shooting.

3. I don’t agree that the pros don’t play defense. I agree 100% with MattD - the skill level is that much better. Some of the best scorers in the game are just nearly impossible to defend.

4. While the NBA regular season can be boring, the playoffs - and especially the later rounds - are great. I had an opportunity to attend games 1, 2, and 7 of the 2010 NBA championship between the Lakers and Celtics, and the environment and intensity at the Staples Center was electric.

My god LA, we may actually have something in common! I was actually at all of those games as well. I totally agree, no rivalry in college basketball can compare to Lakers-Celtics. Game 7 in 2010 was an unbelievable atmosphere at Staples…will always remember that night.

I can remember attending games at the GWF as a kid with my Dad, and man those games were absolutely electric in terms of atmosphere…can honestly say I’ve never experienced any basketball game that can compare to those Laker-Celtics games of the mid to late 80s.

Interesting, I had no idea you were from LA. I moved here in 2002. As far as the Lakers, I’ll always be a Pistons fan, but I’ve always enjoyed watching the Lakers, and I have a long-time client with an abundance of great Laker seats, so that’s how I happened to be at those playoff games (we were actually finishing up a trial at that time, and then my bonus for winning the trial was a pair of tickets for every home playoff game in 2011, of course they lost to Dallas that year). Nothing like a big Lakers game, and Staples is awesome. If there’s a better pro arena for a basketball game, I’d love to see it.

Interesting, I had no idea you were from LA. I moved here in 2002. As far as the Lakers, I'll always be a Pistons fan, but I've always enjoyed watching the Lakers, and I have a long-time client with an abundance of great Laker seats, so that's how I happened to be at those playoff games (we were actually finishing up a trial at that time, and then my bonus for winning the trial was a pair of tickets for every home playoff game in 2011, of course they lost to Dallas that year). Nothing like a big Lakers game, and Staples is awesome. If there's a better pro arena for a basketball game, I'd love to see it.

Certainly the leg room and amenities at Staples are superior to most NBA arenas, but the for pure viewing purposes I like college venues (Duke/Cameron Indoor really comes to mind) much better. For the most part, college venues don’t have suites, so even folks in the upper bowl generally have a great seat because the venue is so intimate. I really do love Crisler since the renovations, it maintained the intimacy while putting in the new seats and much needed re-do of the concourse. Really not a bad seat in Crisler unless you are behind the backboard above row 32-33.

Personally, I like college ball better than NBA (regular season)*
*NBA playoffs are exciting

I like the need for teamwork better in the college game.
I like that for the most part, this is their one and only team they play for in college (unless you’re Alex Legion).
I don’t like the business aspect of the NBA.
I don’t like the way the players are allowed to complain in the NBA.
I don’t like how the game is called in the NBA (basic rules).

And nothing beats March Madness in my opinion.

The NBA died for me in the mid-2000’s. Free agent shennaigans, horribly biased reffing, the constant noise bombardment, and the one-and-doners have all killed it for me. It probably hasn’t helped either that Joe D turned into Matt Millen. I just don’t see myself ever going back as a fan though, even if the Pistons were good again.