Report: Michigan to play in 2022 Legends Classic

1 Like

Michigan playing in the Legends Classic.

1 Like

Meh. Kind of a weak field. Pitt is bad and the other two are middling programs.

3 Likes

Yeah that field sucks

3 Likes

O/U 2.5 first-year coaches in that event.

Should still be a decent non conference schedule with Kentucky somewhere, one of Oklahoma/UNC/Florida in Charlotte, a home ACC/B10 game, and maybe the road Oregon game?

2 Likes

Definitely a weak tournament… but if you think the game in London is happening then I guess it makes some sense?

I’ll take the under. Capel seems like a surefire goner but I don’t see VCU and ASU moving on from Rhoades and Hurley unless they completely implode.

To echo others: this field is garbage.

Yeah like stated not the best MTE but there are enough other pieces that the non con schedule will be solid. Plus with the youth that is looking to be prominent on next year’s team this may not be a bad idea.

1 Like

I was thinking Rhoades might get a better job if he’s able to scrape together a third tournament team in five years with the rash of bad injury luck they’ve had.

Which venue is most likely to host this tournament?

2 Likes

It had always been at Barclays but is moved to the Prudential Center this year, not sure if that’s permanent or COVID related.

Not a great field and hopefully this isn’t a sign of Michigan not being in good tournaments moving forward. Las Vegas is a draw because of the area I think the field for that tournament is better than 2022 Legends but still not great. Eg. the one in Vegas next year has UCLA/Illinois/Baylor/Virginia. There are many top tourneys next year eg Maui/Atlantis/PK80 is back. Just hope maybe in 2023 Michigan gets to go back to Maui.If Michigan isn’t going to be in top tourneys they better load up with top teams in single play neutral court games.

We were just in Atlantis. We obviously can’t do Vegas next year since we were just in it. I’m sure we’ll be back in Maui when we are able/invited to. But outside of those big ones we’ve seemed to want to be in New York or other draws like that over anything else. That concept goes back to Beilein

1 Like

I attended this tournament the last time Michigan was there. I’ll never forget the “Ri-cky Doyle!” chants! Barclay’s Center is a great place to catch a game.

2 Likes

Going to Maui and London in the same year sounds like suicidal scheduling. It makes sense to do an easy east coast tournament if the London game is a go.

4 Likes

2023 Maui would be ideal because it already has Marquette/Duke/Gonzaga. Purdue hasn’t been there since 2014 so it might be time for them.

1 Like

Maui is usually a pretty extended rotation because everyone wants to go. I think Michigan went in 12 and 18?

4 Likes

I tell you one thing, the next time Michigan goes to Maui I’m there

2 Likes

It is by far the best preseason tournament. Nothing else compares. I’ve had a chance to see hoops games in a lot of fun places but if you had to go to one thing like that, it is No. 2 after the Final Four, I’d say.

4 Likes