Report: Michigan to face Arkansas in 2024 Jimmy V Classic

yes bruh!!! cool af!!!

Wow that’s big time. Johnell Davis vs Dusty May and Vlad

5 Likes

Dusty is gonna start his tenure the same way Juwan did… by scheduling games with John Calapari!

How long do these things usually take to come together? Think this was done post-Cal and maybe even post-Johnell?

At MSG, huh?

Nimari Burton legacy game incoming!!

3 Likes

I don’t know for sure in this case, but I would guess this is something that Dusty and Cal both signed on to play in.

MTEs are scheduled a year out (and some other one offs like the rotating ones) but I think these are probably just used year by year as a scheduling tool.

Now, is that “let’s play each other” or is it “yeah, I rock with the Jimmy V guys who run that event (FAU played in it last year, for example)” and then they pair the teams up. I’m not sure.

1 Like

Wow. Just wow. I expect a 60% M-Leaning crowd with 25% Miami and the other 15% Vols/Hogs, just knowing NYC.

Cal appears not done loading up after the DJ Wagner get but I believe only has 8-9 on the roster. Are we expecting any more massive additions?

1 Like

Coleman Hawkins.

2 Likes

IIRC Cal has also openly said he doesn’t want to fill all 13

1 Like

Yeah, he wants to fill like 9 spots. Doesn’t really make sense to me, but Cal gonna Cal.

I’m not a full 13 guy, but 10 or 11 at least come on!

3 Likes

Nice add to the schedule with storylines for the game already built in!

1 Like

This is probably on Tuesday, December 3rd, right? Typically a Tuesday night and the following week is usually the start of conference play.

Sorry – yeah, I think that’s right. I misread the calendar.

Last year’s game:

1 Like

It will be interesting… I’ve been to a lot of U-M games in NYC and I would say that the quality of the U-M contingent will depend highly on how November goes.

A bit of a new coach buzz will definitely play a part, but U-M could have an awesome crowd at MSG if Fort Myers tourney goes well… Or not…

The last trip to Barclays was pretty bad. It’s been a while since U-M had a good draw there IMO.

Also feels like Beilein used to play there almost every year which hasn’t been a thing as much anymore.

2 Likes

I love Fort Myers

Agreed. November will mean alot. I do think new coach/football general desire for M support in the Big Apple matters. To summarize the history:

23-24: Johnnies Home Game + Pitino inaugural season created the divide

22-23: Barclays event featured lackluster teams (I also think NYC has a weird amount of VCU fans + Pitt)

21-22: Covid

20-21: Electric 50/50 crowd split with Rutgers (home)

19-20: N/A

18-19: N/A

17-18: The NY Wolverines (Heavy M Crowds)

• “4 games in 4 days”

16-17: MTE in Garden (Heavy M Crowds) - smoked Marquette and SMU

15-16: Beat Penn State in a Hockey/Hoops double header in the Garden (HEAVY M Crowd even though it was “semi-away”)

14-15: MTE in Barclays (Heavy M Crowds but coming off Elite 8 and National Title Runs b2b) - Beat Oregon/Lost Villanova

1 Like

This one was definitely more of a marketing failure I’d say. The whole place was dead empty the whole weekend. Was an awful environment.

I’d also add the Pitt/KSU MTE in 2012-13 as a good Michigan environment. And then later that year there was a good U-M crowd at Barclays.

I’d say that Michigan has generally turned out better to games I’ve been at at MSG than Barclays for whatever reason.

I would be pro-playing in NYC every year for U-M and I think it is a good thing to keep that fanbase engaged. I just think that Michigan hoops fans are pretty success-dependent to show up to neutral games like this. (Michigan doesn’t usually draw that well to MTEs either, FWIW, but these are often OSU week)

2 Likes

Also a number of NYC storylines for Dusty/FAU:

• They won the regional to go to the Final Four at the Garden
  • They played a big non-conference game there last year (Illinois)
  • They played this year’s NCAA game against Northwestern at Barclays.
3 Likes