Recruiting in Fort Lauderdale?

My co-worker’s father-in-law got on a plane this morning in Detroit bound for Fort Lauderdale. Coach Beilein was on the same flight and told him he was heading down there to do some recruiting. Any idea who he might be looking at?

Maverick Rowan…former Pitt commit.

Just beat me to the punch…Rowan plays for Cardinal Gibbons in Fort Lauderdale. Looks like a shooter that JB loves. Distance obviously not a factor considering he was once committed to Pitt

Very prelim opinion is that he is a good shooter, quick release, below average/average athlete, doesn’t seem to be a very good ballhandler, but does knock down jumpshots/floaters from a variety of spots/positions on the floor. Can shoot of the bounce, with back to the basket in the pinch post, and can get the floater off baseline off 1 dribble.

Edit - a bit more film on Rown below. Seems to be an average athlete in terms of verticality, probably below average in terms of lateral agility and speed, but not horrible by any means. Certainly not a great ballhandler, but he understands how to use his body to gain leverage on a defender by getting his shoulder lower and creating space.

Rowan reminds me of Blueitt to the extent that he obviously isn’t a great athlete, but he understands spacing and how to gain leverage in order to get a clean look. Blueitt was a much better ballhander than Rown, but Rowan is a better athlete.

So far, I look Rowan, think he’s worth a serious look.

Edit #2 - Rowan is originally from Western PA, explains the Pitt commitment. Perhaps distance is a factor, one that could potentially work in our favor.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/highschool/2015/01/30/Rowan-drawing-national-attention-Rowan-drawing-national-acclaim/stories/201501300053

How tall is he? Looks be to around 6’4-6’6ish.

Yep. RT @coreyevans_10: Michigan head coach John Beilein is expected in today for '16 Cardinal Gibbons wing Maverick Rowan

6-7, 200 ranked 37th by 247 Sports Composite

Roy Williams, Donovan, Pitino have all been checking in on him.

Just beat me to the punch......Rowan plays for Cardinal Gibbons in Fort Lauderdale. Looks like a shooter that JB loves. Distance obviously not a factor considering he was once committed to Pitt

Very prelim opinion is that he is a good shooter, quick release, below average/average athlete, doesn’t seem to be a very good ballhandler, but does knock down jumpshots/floaters from a variety of spots/positions on the floor. Can shoot of the bounce, with back to the basket in the pinch post, and can get the floater off baseline off 1 dribble.

Edit - a bit more film on Rown below. Seems to be an average athlete in terms of verticality, probably below average in terms of lateral agility and speed, but not horrible by any means. Certainly not a great ballhandler, but he understands how to use his body to gain leverage on a defender by getting his shoulder lower and creating space.

Rowan reminds me of Blueitt to the extent that he obviously isn’t a great athlete, but he understands spacing and how to gain leverage in order to get a clean look. Blueitt was a much better ballhander than Rown, but Rowan is a better athlete.

So far, I look Rowan, think he’s worth a serious look.

Edit #2 - Rowan is originally from Western PA, explains the Pitt commitment. Perhaps distance is a factor, one that could potentially work in our favor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_-FOQgLyxg

Agree on the Blueitt comparison.

His balance and frame seem to make up for his lack of quick feet and vertical jump IMO
He’s not going to be blowing by or jumping over guys at all, but he can score in various ways.

Looks like a nice player that could contribute offensively right away.

Is he class of 2015?

Corey Evans (NY2LA Sports) claims there is mutual interest between Rowan and UM. Would have to assume that is true in order for JB to take a flight to Florida this late in the game. It seems that Louisville and Florida are the leaders at this point.

@YpsiTuckyBoy yes, definitely

— Corey Evans (@coreyevans_10) February 14, 2015

Interesting fact about Rowan…he’s already 18, and will be 1 month short of 20 when he graduates in 16. That is rather odd. This kinda puts a damper on my high praise for him…he should be able to lower his shoulder against the HS comp when he is closer to being 20 than 15.