Podcast: Understanding (as best we can) the Michigan-Michigan State postponement

2 Likes

Another thing different about this season is fans. Not only are three no gaps in the schedule to provide flexibility to move games, you have to move games that people have bought tickets for. And more importantly you have all of the logistics and staff involved with the wrangling fans on game days. These are massive operations.

That’s another good point, but I think they can work around that. Don’t think that fans really have much recourse other than complaining.

2 Likes

It’s very media-brained of BQ to think MSU fans wouldn’t have conspiracy theories if he just got slightly more media access! :rofl:

1 Like

Judging by how he has had to respond to some they still don’t get it.

1 Like

And now the Purdue game has been postponed.

1 Like

Yeah, I think the infrastructure for dealing with fans would be the tougher part. Especially when you’re not sure if/how many workers and volunteers will be healthy.

Is the big 10s rule for 7 available players count just scholarship players or also walk ons? If you’re only counting scholarships and Michigan already counts that as only 11 or 12 guys due to redshirts and Zeb, there’s a much smaller margin than it seems like at first.

1 Like

The rule is that a team has to play unless it has less than 7 scholarship players and one countable coach.

The fact that Zeb is unavailable and Barnes/Tschetter are redshirting means that Michigan starts at 11.

1 Like

Zeb is just unavailable so Michigan can duck this game.

• Credentialed Spartan media
1 Like

LOL but he’s exactly right. Any PR firm will say the same. Michigan isn’t going to learn that lesson anytime soon though, if going by the volume of opportunities they’ve had.

Ehhhhhhhh. Let’s just say that I’m skeptical that Rico, DK and @SpartyPoop69 are behaving any differently on Twitter based on whether or not UM’s team physician had a press conference.

2 Likes

Both can be true. They’ve got some special people over there, but if you want to tamp down that stuff you can.

1 Like

Michigan’s press conference with the chief medical officer that BQ referenced definitely prevented anyone from saying that Michigan ducked Ohio State, so that definitely worked. /s

The biggest mistake in this whole thing from Michigan’s POV was saying anything on Friday publicly about who might be back, etc. when it clearly wasn’t determined.

3 Likes

“Some people are idiots so let’s needlessly keep everyone guessing” makes sense to you?

1 Like

I didn’t see any public statement from anyone on Michigans side on Friday about players being available, did I miss it? I saw a lot of reporters saying “I’m hearing…”

2 Likes

Not a public statement but it was communicated to the media:

Would like to hear breakdowns for the all big 10 list of specifically how these players compare to the 2021 version of themselves on the next pod. Ex 2022 Kofi has improved assist rate, Hunter added a few outside shots, etc. The all big 10 crew is interesting because there are so few differences from what we expected in the preseason, but exactly why these guys are performing well is a little more intricate. Keegan Murray and Johnny Davis were obviously too low in the preseason rank, but for the most it’s as expected.

2 Likes

I just got a chance to listen to the podcast ( noon hr ) Tuesday which was very good. Covid is the perfect example of “Stuff Happens” and you have to deal with it as you go. :disappointed_relieved: