Podcast: On Michigan's defining performance vs. Ohio State, and Michigan State's last gasp

3 Likes

On the topic of the state of the rivalry.

Iā€™m pretty sure Stu Douglass has said once or twice on a podcast somewhere that he didnā€™t really ever give a sh*t about rivalry games, MSU or OSU.

On the flip side, I think Chaundeeā€™s Snapchat stories might mean that he cared more about the rivalry than he apparently led on in the interviews referenced.

1 Like

oh yeah itā€™s Moving Screen time!!!

2 Likes

Having listened to some of his podcast stuff, I am not even close to surprised that he said this. Iā€™d also be extremely surprised if that view represented a sizeable chunk of players.

4 Likes

Based on past podcasts, Stu didnā€™t seem to care much about anything haha. Not surprised at all. Iā€™m guessing Novak would give a completely different answer

9 Likes

We believe in nothing, Lebowski. Nothing.

5 Likes

Starting to listen nowā€¦ Quinn doesnā€™t say it explicitly here, but his entire post-game story being about it kinda brings up how fixated outsiders get on it. Dickinson being good because heā€™s a 20 year old freshman is like Juwan Howard being good because he hired Phil Martelli to me. Iā€™m tired of it being used to qualify his successes.

10 Likes

Yeah I didnā€™t say anything because I feel like it gets talked about a lot, and I donā€™t want to insinuate its a bad thing, but Stu is Stu. And he is a pretty unique guy and just generally doesnā€™t go for the whole concept of college fandom, which is actually funny to me now that he has a Michigan basketball podcast.

3 Likes

Yeah with regards to the basketball rivalry stuff, I donā€™t think itā€™s that hard to explain. Michigan-OSU football is the rivalry, itā€™s bigger than any other rivalry in any other sport. So residual hate from that leaks into every other sport. I donā€™t hate OSUā€™s basketball team nearly as much as I do football, but I still hate them and want them to have little to no success.

For Michigan, itā€™s clear that MSU is the #1 basketball rival. OSU falls way behind them there. But OSU doesnā€™t have an MSU equivalent for basketball, so we still take the #1 rival spot for them in basketball. Which is probably why you see those intense pre-game packages for Michigan games in Columbus. So between us being OSUā€™s #1 rival, and most Michigan fans still hating all things OSU even when itā€™s not football, these games will always register as some sort of rivalry game. But itā€™s not going to come close to what we see with Michigan-MSU. It only really becomes a big event when both teams are good, like this year or the 2012/2013 years.

2 Likes

Wow @ReegsShannon gets the rare Dylan podcast forum shoutout

13 Likes

I havenā€™t watched it back in a while, but in the Fab 5 doc I remember Jalen and Jimmy still holding on to some hate for OSU.

Really looking forward to this podcast. Iā€™ve been thinking itā€™s about time I had my update on Michigan State.

2 Likes

All my years of posting and hot takes have paid off

9 Likes

Wouldnā€™t a tennis or volleyball match be a back-and-forth? I always thought, like BQ, that a boxing match meant a slugfest.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the ā€˜gold pantsā€™ video that got everyone all hot and bothered

New traditions. Playing for soāŒething āŒore on Sunday. #BeatTTUN pic.twitter.com/CFc23Z0KkU

ā€” Ohio State Hoops (@OhioStateHoops) February 20, 2021
3 Likes

Listening now, Dylan your observation on the rivalry is on point. Itā€™s the plight of Michigan in general, everyone considers Michigan their rival, and several consider Michigan their main rival. But we can obviously only have one ourselves. What you described for OSU basketball is similar to MSU-Michigan football, though Iā€™d say thereā€™s much more vitriol there for obvious reasons. But Holtmann giving out gold jerseys is the dumbest thing Iā€™ve seen in a long time. Civil ConFLiCT level stupidity

4 Likes

good point! a year older or even two years older doesnā€™t automatically make a freshman good at anything.

2 Likes

Mady Sissoko says hi.

6 Likes

So does AJ Hoggard

5 Likes

@umhoops loved the pod! Only one detail I wanted to point out is that we have an Ohio kid on the roster still. Donā€™t forget about Zeb!

3 Likes