Olympics and USA Basketball

The roster is fine. Tons of shooting, guys that can make plays for others. Athletic big man that can switch onto guards. They are just getting beat. Shot terribly (10-32 from 3 with mostly decent looks and a shorter line)

1 Like

Teams qualify through a regional tournament or by finishing first or second at the World Cup, which is why the World Cup is important. World Cup is usually more important for other countries because it’s a bigger tournament.

I think it’s a good idea to have a permanent head coach for at least a few Olympic cycles. I know not a lot of people are fans of Jeff Van Gundy but he did a really good job with the Olympic qualifiers with nothing but G-League guys. US Soccer’s national team coach doesn’t coach another club/pro team, I don’t see how it would be any different for basketball. I’m not sure what other countries do.

1 Like

International soccer is big enough that that can be a full time and well paying job. I assume US basketball doesn’t have 2 million a year to spend on a coach.

I believe Pop signed on for 2 cycles. But I’d also imagine he’ll resign if they lose

1 Like

USA Basketball has plenty of money. There are also way more competitions in soccer throughout the year and in between the seasons.

1 Like

That’s what I mean. More competitions = more money. And more of a reason to have a full time coach.

I genuinely have no idea how much money USA basketball has. This is the only article I could find that mentioned anything about their finances. It mentions that 5 WNBA players got a salary for spending the offseason with Team USA and they did exhibitions to make that money.

1 Like

Honest question: would people prefer that? I very much enjoy watching some of the best players in the world try to figure it out

4 Likes

Just caught the USA-China women’s 3v3 and nobody is taking anywhere near enough 2’s.

1 Like

Yeah, honestly, this is more dramatic than the 1990s Olympic tournaments where we won every game by 30. If we rally to win gold now, that’s a more interesting story.

2 Likes

Im_in

7 Likes

Mo had a great first half for Germany. Germany’s leading scorer with 12 points, 3 rebs.

4 Likes

You figure that floppin’ FIBA would be unkind:

Blockquote
Moe had 17 points, 3 boards, 3 steals, an assist in 12 minutes (foul trouble)

3 Likes

Moe dunks on Ekpe!!!

13 Likes

Well, there are some UM Football fans living in a fantasy world of years gone by…long ago! :wink:

1 Like

Ekpe can at least find comfort that he did better than Nick Ward

8 Likes

Does anyone know where to watch the Olympic Games live besides the USA games? I know the US is on Peackock+ but I’m debating on staying up and watching part of the Slovenia vs. Japan game tonight to see Luka.

1 Like

I could not find the France vs. Czech on Peacock game today but was told later it may be on the NBC Olympics website if you have cable

Someone has to teach Mo how to play defense without fouling.

1 Like

So we can’t watch anything live? How were people watching Germany yesterday

1 Like