Olympics and USA Basketball

Let’s see what you say about my people once Moussa wins you a big ten banner :rofl:

13 Likes

I happened to turn on CBC and there was Jevohn Shepherd talking about the game. Apparently he’s an analyst for them.

5 Likes

Correction: umhoops fantasy football league

5 Likes

Might be unfair. I would dominate

The roster construction might have its issues, but at the end of the day, the U.S. was in position to win before totally collapsing down the stretch. 16-2 run to close it out, oof.

1 Like

BigB’s first round pick: newly aquired hometown hero Matt Stafford.

One way to find out…

2 Likes

KD, Dame and to a lesser extent Tatum have to show up. Roster’s a mess if those three aren’t superstars.

1 Like

They tried the pool stuff a few years ago but had to make it bigger because no one wanted to play in the Basketball World Cup. The idea of having a training camp and/or practice session once or twice a year isn’t that unthinkable. NBA is only league (that I’m aware of) that doesn’t alter it’s schedule for Olympic qualifiers. I like the model they do in soccer, give the national team players a week off to train with their country at certain points throughout the season and play a game or two for qualifiers.

I"m not even saying to have 12 players. Even if the pool is 24 to commit for an Olympic cycle is reasonable in my mind. Again, just to do it a couple of times a year and then have them play some exhibition games against the top teams in the world. Soccer’s system is very doable but NBA owners want full control.

3 Likes

Maybe I’m out of my mind here, but I’ve got Women’s Volleyball (China vs. Turkey) on in the background while doing some work. And Turkey has a player that reminds me so much of Mo. Her name is Karakurt. Tall, lanky, swag. Someone please turn on this game and confirm whether I’m losing it.

I have no idea how a country qualifies for Olympics in basketball, but I can certainly agree w/ skipping the World Cup.

I like your basic model of having a couple friendlies throughout the year in which NBA guys take a week off for a couple practices and a game. I honestly don’t see how you could do it outside of NBA season, but maybe an October game and a January game seems doable. Put it in MSG, put in the Forum in LA, maybe Miami, I think you could get guys. FIBA would have to subsidize, but I have to think the foreign players would travel. Maybe NBA would subsidize a little? It’s like free scouting for them.

1 Like

NBA has been looking for an in season tournament, right? Why not do an NBA rules country v country tourney? FIBA rules are important I’m sure but playing together is probably a bigger deal, right?

Also I’m pretty convinced that the real problem for Team USA is the schedule. These guys are absolutely gassed and probably aware that they’re significant injury risks. Should’ve only grabbed guys who didn’t play in the playoffs. That probably lets them rest, then practice together, then play, right?

1 Like

I’m not sure guys would want to risk injury in the middle of the NBA season to play exhibition games. And if they do play, I’m not sure how serious they’d take it. And if they don’t take it serious, I’m not sure it’s all that helpful. I’m not sure what the solution is.

2 Likes

The guy that just lit the US up for a billion points is a current NBA free agent.

1 Like

The shine and prestige of making Team USA (for the men) Basketball is all but gone. So far, I’ve only seen Trae Young being upset that he didn’t get asked.

I have to imagine they try a college guy next and i bet they’d like it to be an african american. If juwan continues on the current trajectory i can see him getting a pretty good look.

14 Likes

Kinda wild how much sense that makes

5 Likes

I don’t like the overall construction of the USA roster. Colangelo is responsible for it.

Juwan would be a perfect coach because the rules and how the games are being played are pretty similar between college and FIBA level. He understands how to relate to the players since he’s a former NBA player who recently retired (and still is buddies with the Heatles players). That would take recruiting away from his duties but hopefully coaching USA would more than makes up for it in the recruit’s eyes.

3 Likes

Ja was upset that he didn’t get asked as well.

So what is it about NBA coaches that seems to not work out? Why would college coaches get better results with pro players? It seems counterintuitive.

3 Likes