Offseason Thread: Ricky Doyle

It was something of an up and down year for Ricky Doyle. What do you think about his freshman season and what do you want to see from him entering next year?

Has to improve lateral movement and boxing out. Just by improving those 2 things he could potentially be a 10 and 6 guy next year.

Has to improve lateral movement and boxing out. Just by improving those 2 things he could potentially be a 10 and 6 guy next year.

Yep, I think defensive rebounding and playing smart on defense are key. He needs to learn that positioning is more important than trying to block shots (he’s not going to block many anyways) and he just has to be come more productive on the defensive glass.

Only Aubrey, Spike and Muhammad had lower defensive rebounding rates last year.

Just work hard in Camp Sanderson this summer.

Also, I would like the staff should work on implementing a 10-15 foot jump shot into Doyle’s game. He seemed to use that a lot in his high school footage and it would be interesting to see if he can translate that into the college game.

Just work hard in Camp Sanderson this summer.

Also, I would like the staff should work on implementing a 10-15 foot jump shot into Doyle’s game. He seemed to use that a lot in his high school footage and it would be interesting to see if he can translate that into the college game.

Beilein spoke specifically about Doyle developing that shot near the end of this season. He also probably talked about it with JoMo for four years :slight_smile: I think Doyle has the chance to do that though.

Haha, yeah. I remember when J-Mo shot a couple of those in the first few exhibition games after his freshman year and thinking “wow he’s really gonna become a more dynamic offensive threat this year.” Hopefully that’s the case with Doyle this year.

Improve his hands - ball slipped away quite a bit in general and in those scrums/fights for the ball, even if he was first to it - he wouldn’t secure possession.

Something clicked early in that first half against Ohio State for him - find that groove consistently. He had one rebound where it looked remarkable how high he jumped. I think he tweaked his leg a bit so it was probably sore the rest of that game. Play with that type of groove and confidence.

Finish with dunks, not layups when possible.

I sensed he played smaller than his height at times, keep the ball high and don’t shorten yourself by bringing it down

For a true freshman with limited athleticism and a depleted supporting cast, Doyle did a solid job, about as well as could have been expected this season. With reasonable improvement in his game, he could get about 25 mpg next year, and maybe average about 8/6. I don’t think we’ll ever see explosive improvement from him, but he’s a guy that could get steadily better every year.

It’s critical for Doyle to process the game faster…I think it is more of an issue defensively than offensively. He is too slow on rotations and block outs…hopefully, a year of experience will mitigate that issue.

I felt like Doyle was really, really slow picking up the offensive reads through the 1st half of the season but I think the light turned on a bit for him but he still has some work to do on that end.

He is a worker…I have no doubt he will put in the time in the weightroom and the gym…I just hope he is able to grasp the details of defense and offense much better next year…that will really help him and the team.

Build up consistency

Get stronger and be ready to catch the ball. He seemed to be often off balance when the ball came in to him and was unable to do anything with it. I think that he has a much better game on offense than what we saw this year.

Doyle showed promise on post ups. Nice footwork, patience, hands, size, and a nice jump hook. Keep it up! Eventually, young Dick Doyle will be a load to deal with on the low blocks without a double team.
Of course all this adds up to squat, if nobody makes the pass into the post.