Any Updates on how Doyle is Doing Against the Likes of Looney and Zimmerman at the NBPA?*

t

This is the only mention I’ve seen out of about 30 write ups and a 1000 tweets. It just mentions him setting a pick for someone else.

http://www.theintentionalfoul.com/

Reportedly struggled a bit. Tough environment but curious to see how he plays in Orlando this July.

Hopefully it was a good learning experience. Sounds like he didn’t waste a second while he was there.

Doyle seems like a player who will take 2-3 years to develop, but could be a very solid force inside once he does. Not flashy, and maybe not a great all-around game, but strong defense and rebounding and just plain muscling folk out of the way.

Doyle seems like a player who will take 2-3 years to develop, but could be a very solid force inside once he does. Not flashy, and maybe not a great all-around game, but strong defense and rebounding and just plain muscling folk out of the way.

Like his length and he’s pretty skilled. Still a lot of development to grow, hope he can grow a few more inches. Never going to be a dominant defender I don’t think but could be a solid low post option.

Personally, I like his width as much as his length…we haven’t recruited widebody types very heavily, but they can be nice to have around. And as far as defense, I’d never say never…a lot of defense is learned and coached, not simply natural talent. He may never be a great shot blocker, but there’s a lot more to defense than that. Very often it’s enough just to be a shot alterer.

Reading between the lines here - Doyle seems like a high floor/low ceiling type of player. From the limited film I’ve seen in addition to recent reports, he seems to have an above average to good skill set, but his upside and potential is limited because he is an average athlete at best. He is able to compensate for the lack of athleticism to a certain extent based on length, but his lateral quickness and jumping ability will never allow him to be a great player.

I wouldn’t say that his ceiling is low. He has great length, a number of post moves, pro bloodlines, and a clear desire to get better. If it’s true that he’s just 6-8, then it would be good if he could grow another inch or two, but aside from that, he has a lot of physical tools.

I wouldn’t say he has a number of post moves, what he has is great touch around the basket with either hand. But in terms of footwork, he’s certainly not great, or even good in my opinion, but simply above average. From the footage I’ve seen he’s mostly limited to a turnaround 5-9 foot jumpshot/hookshot or simple face up jumpshot from 14-18 feet. He does give the occasional pump fake or up and under, but to say that Doyle has a multitude of post moves at this stage of his development is simply an exaggeration in my opinion. Again, what he lacks is athleticism, and it is becoming increasingly important to have that attribute unless you are supremely skilled. In addition to the lack of athleticism, I wouldn’t characterize Doyle as being an overly physical player.

All that being said, I think Doyle has the tools to become an above average PF, as I don’t think he has the requisite physicality to be a true center in the big 10.