No Bronson Koenig for Wisconsin tonight

We cant guard a back cut to save our lives

Never would have thought Trice would take that many shots. That by itself makes Koenigā€™s absence very relevant.

In the mistake categoryā€¦7 first half TOs, 3 second half TOsā€¦ DJ still a ghost, and really looked JV out there.

Glad we won. Not sure I feel like our floor is higher (ie, raised expectations such that any remaining game is going to be a guarantee), but showing guys can/will step up when the normal contributors arenā€™t scoring is really big

I hope that is the last we see of Jim Calhoun

Donnal quietly had a solid game off the bench. Not much that showed in the box score but he provided strong minutes, especially in the second half. Nice to see Zak Irvin finally hit some shots tonight (especially on a night when Walton wasnā€™t hitting).

Side note, Teske looks so bad. He does NOT look anywhere close to a big ten basketball player.

Letā€™s go get some road wins and get into the dance.

SKnight

2 Likes

Discouraging: terrible first half gameplan/execution
Encouraging: Great half time adjustments and thereā€™s no way I wouldā€™ve guessed we won if you told me Happ would have 22 and Dwalt would have 5 on 1/8 shooting

Yep I really donā€™t wanna hear anyone else calling for Teske to get Donnalā€™s minutes. He had a really solid stretch in the 2H

1 Like

To be fair, Teske got eaten by the best post player in the conference. he has typically looked at least competent on defense. But itā€™s 4 v 5 on offense, for sure.

And gotta give credit to Mark, he really battled in the second half: moved his feet, stood up, and even took a couple of swats

3 Likes

Everybody that had us beating Wisky with Derek having 1 fg, take a bow.

Random thought, but Happ might be my favorite non-Michigan player. He plays incredible, active defense, has the stamina to battle for a post touch on just about every possession, has the best vision on his team, never complains, and just does his job (which happens to be leading his team in essentially every counting stat).

1 Like

I wasnā€™t able to watch for Teskeā€™s run in the first half. Was the horribleness on offense or defense?

Both ends were absolutely horrible

2 Likes

Agreed. Normally I can justify my hate for good players, but Happ acts like a consummate pro. You just have to respect his talent.

1 Like

Donnal led the team in The Victors in the locker room. JB/Team definitely recognizing his big second half stretch. It was seriously a big impact to right the ship in the second half.

4 Likes

Donnal got to lead ā€˜the victorsā€™. Maybe the first time iā€™ve heard him talk (or sing).

Waiting for that Kenpom updateā€¦

3 Likes

Both. He got beat on a PNR and 2 post moves by Happ. On offense he almost botched a few routine screen passes at the top of the key and looked like he didnt know how to roll on the PNR

1 Like

Haha good timing!

Bleed Blue, valid points about Teske going against Happ tonight. Maybe I am being too harsh or passing judgement solely on tonightā€™s game. Still havenā€™t seen enough from Teske that gives me any hope heā€™ll be goodā€¦best case scenario heā€™s as good as Ricky Doyle IMO.

SKnight

1 Like

I think his ceiling >>>> Rickyā€™s, but he has to show some semblance of an offensive game (specifically how to roll on the PNR) before thereā€™s too much hope. But I think he clearly has the potential to be a defensive stopper, though.

1 Like

Both. Teske played 2 minute and 4 seconds. We went from up 21-15 to tied at 23. The sequence went as followed:

Teske fouls Happ (Happ makes both)
Happ steals it from Teske for an immediate dunk
Walton pass to teske off pick and roll - turnover
Happ layup over Teske
MAAR pass to Teske off pick and roll - turnover
Teske fouls Happ (non-shooting)

8 Likes

To be fair, if he can get to a point in his career where he can catch a pass then heā€™ll have achieved this.

2 Likes

If I were an opposing fan I would HATE Wagner.

4 Likes