Nice Mlive writeup on Duncan Robinson

Love this quote from the article:

“Oh, no question,” Beilein says. “He would have changed a few of our early games immediately with the way he can pass. He shoots, but he really can pass, too.”

I love the back story of him. We missed quite a few momentum changing and crucial open shots throughout last year. Shots that we absolutely needed, had to have, and have a history of making.

His knock down shooting ability will be huge for us.

Well, it remains to be seen whether he can generate his own shot against D1 defenders. The athleticism of the people guarding him will be a universe away from Williams College.

This is where having healthy LeVert, Walton and improved Irvin could help though. Both Dawkins and Robinson could be really effective floor stretchers for that core group of guards.

If he has held his own in team scrimmages, I think he’ll be perfectly fine. When defences collapse on a driving MAAR, Albrecht, or LeVert, he’ll probably have some room to work on the perimeter. Hope to see some really good ball movement this year. The fact that he’s 6-8 and reasonably bulky after a year of conditioning is what I find encouraging. if he were another undersized guy I wouldn’t really take his DIII percentages seriously.

Well, it remains to be seen whether he can generate his own shot against D1 defenders. The athleticism of the people guarding him will be a universe away from Williams College.
He doesn't have to generate his own shot one on one. He'll be utilizing ball screens and kick outs to get open.

I’m wondering what Robinson does that allows Beilein to see that he’s such a good passer. He’s doing something to put the D in tough spot that allows him to demonstrate his passing skills. Is it pump fakes on close outs allowing him to get past his defender? Effective use of his dribble on pick and rolls? Something is going on and I’m looking forward to seeing what it is. Sounds to me like Robinson can do some pretty sweet things on a basketball court. Of course when you’re 6’8" and lights out from 20+ feet, you’ve already got the D on the, uh, defensive

I'm wondering what Robinson does that allows Beilein to see that he's such a good passer. He's doing something to put the D in tough spot that allows him to demonstrate his passing skills. Is it pump fakes on close outs allowing him to get past his defender? Effective use of his dribble on pick and rolls? Something is going on and I'm looking forward to seeing what it is. Sounds to me like Robinson can do some pretty sweet things on a basketball court. Of course when you're 6'8" and lights out from 20+ feet, you've already got the D on the, uh, defensive
Yes, he pump fakes on hard close outs. I could also see with his height being able to dump the ball to the screener rolling to the hoop a la Stauskas.

MChem83 said:

He doesn’t have to generate his own shot one on one. He’ll be utilizing ball screens and kick outs to get open.

That didn’t do Matt Vogrich much good. His inability to generate his own shot relagated him to the deep bench for most of his time here, ball screens and kick-outs notwithstanding.

In fairness, I don’t think Vogrich was ever tabbed as an elite shooter. I remember thinking it was ridiculous that he got even a few starts over Stauskas. By comparison, Brady Heslip WAS an elite shooter, who also possessed very limited size and athleticism. But he could make the most of every kick-out or extra pass that ended up in his hands, without any streakiness or jitters. Just a pure stroke and quick release. I am hoping Robinson is like a bigger Heslip rather than a bigger Vogrich. We’ll find out soon enough.

I'm wondering what Robinson does that allows Beilein to see that he's such a good passer. He's doing something to put the D in tough spot that allows him to demonstrate his passing skills. Is it pump fakes on close outs allowing him to get past his defender? Effective use of his dribble on pick and rolls? Something is going on and I'm looking forward to seeing what it is. Sounds to me like Robinson can do some pretty sweet things on a basketball court. Of course when you're 6'8" and lights out from 20+ feet, you've already got the D on the, uh, defensive
Agree. Insightful question. With all the competition for minutes, it will be interesting. Robinson will definitely get his fair share with his apparent elite shooting ability and size.

If I remember correctly, vogrich was supposed to be an elite shooter. He just never looked like he could find his shot

Vogrich shot the ball really well over the summer and blew up and that’s when Michigan went after him. Never quite seemed to shoot it like that when he got to A2.

Vogrich was labelled the best shooter in his class by some, but he proved a bit streaky in college. This is just my total speculation, but I don’t think Matt was as much of a gym rat as some others. I think he decided pretty early on he was going to be a businessman.

Vogrich was definitely flagged as an elite shooter coming in, but he never showed much of a game and couldn’t make things happen at the next level with real defenders on him. It was probably obvious to Beilein that Stauskas was better right off the bat, and that he’d end up starting, but he may not have had a handle on everything immediately, or Beilein may not have wanted to make Stauskas work a little more and not just hand him the starting job from Day 1. Who knows?

The question now is, where will Robinson fall on the scale between Vogrich and Stauskas? I’d be surprised and deeply disappointed if he wasn’t noticeably better than Vogrich, but I doubt that Big Ten POY is in his future either.