NCAA 2021: Michigan vs. Florida State Open Thread

DJ let’s things go down low more than the average ref in the BIG I think. Also, I’m not sure if it was the pace of the ACU v. UT game, but I felt at the time the refs were letting them play.

Surprise ehh?

Anyone else feeling major 2019 vs Texas tech vibes from this game or am I the only one?
I hope I’m wrong

1 Like

I recall a lot of unevenness in Carstensen’s games — “call it on both ends!” Of course, that may be because he’s letting things go at one end of the court that the other referees aren’t at the other end of the court.

I’m a bit torn on that, because Michigan really needs Dickinson to play a healthy number of minutes, but if FSU is allowed to hack willy-nilly, the offense won’t be able to get anything done.

I forget the exact thing that happened in the ACU game. I just remember thinking, “oh, so it’s not just the UM/TSU officials who can’t do X,” whatever thing X was. :grin:

I personally prefer these type of games although there has been a few games this tourney where I thought they started to let it get too crazy and it was a wrestling match on the floor at times…

As long as it keeps Hunter out of foul trouble, I’m down.

No. I will never get TTU vibes in any game, because that had nothing to do with TTU or Michigan and everything to do with randomness. Michigan went 0 for its first 18 from 3. That didn’t happen because TTU was good or because Michigan was bad. It happened because Michigan was unlucky.

1 Like

/whisper… Texas Tech was really good at defense.

2 Likes

Alright ladies and gents!!! My streak of seeing a game continues! Gonna be cheering loud for this one for the whole blog!

19 Likes

Not really. I was taken aback at how dominant TTU was but I think they had a lot more talent and leadership than this FSU team. There some shooters on that roster and Beards scheme was crazy.

Obviously different circumstances and scenarios, I think Michigan would fare better with a stretch big in this sort of game

A bit of that, but TTU was really really impressive too. They were the best team in that tourney imo and peaked at the right moment.

1 Like

Yes, they were, but nobody is that good at defense. 3-point defense is largely about preventing the shots from going up in the first place. Yes, if you can get your opponents to take a whole bunch of contested 3s, you’ll depress their shooting percentage, but most teams won’t do that — excluding late shot-clock situations, teams generally only take threes that are reasonably open.

Michigan was much more likely to hit 6 of 18 than 0, and if they’d hit 6, it would have been a game. They might still have lost, but they wouldn’t have gotten shellacked.

I mean, that’s a way to look at it but Michigan could not nothing offensively. It wasn’t like Michigan was missing open looks in that game.

2 Likes

Yea, I remember feeling helpless.

Tell you what. Let’s repeat the A&M game instead.

6 Likes

At also helped having a guy like Culver who could go get a bucket, no sure this FSU has a guy like that, Barnes doesn’t create a whole lot for himself

Hope Eli and Franz get off early with the 3. Will help prevent doubling of HD.

I’m just here for the rumors/pictures of livers warming up… probably not good that I haven’t found any yet

1 Like

That Texas Tech team dismantled the MSU team that swept Michigan as well.

1 Like

Typical starters for both teams.

Smith-Brooks-Wagner-Johns-Dickinson

Walker-Polite-Evans-Gray-Koprivica