NBA Summer League 2019

Making Progress!

JP getting the start Dakota Mathias with the Lakers

A rematch from Spain

1 Like

Poole really struggling so far in his first two summer league games. 20% shooting overall and 9% from three. Hope he gets it going soon.

1 Like

Give it time. Warriors won’t bail on him so fast. Their entire dynasty was made off developing their draft picks. They won’t abandon that with Poole.

2 Likes

Agreed. This is why being a first round pick is huge. It’s not just the guaranteed money, it’s the guaranteed time to develop.

5 Likes

I’m not worried about them bailing. He’s just off to a really rough start. Could possibly need some G-League time to develop. Still too early to tell.

D-Walt on the Clippers summer league team

6 Likes

Amir Coffey (Minnesota), Nigel Hayes (Wisconsin) and Robert Carter (Maryland) representing the B1G as well.

Walton might have a chance to stick as a third PG if he plays well. Clippers have a lot of combo guards, but not much representing a typical PG

2 Likes

Forgot about Robert Carter. I thought his style of play would get him on an NBA roster.

Probably not with the Clippers - Shai is going to start, and Lou is going to play with the ball in his hands when he’s on the floor, whether you want to camp him a PG or not. They just re-upped Beverly for $13 mil a year. They also have a “program” guy who has been an NBA-G League two way guy for two years in place - Ty Wallace. I guess Walton could unseat him, but the institutional familiarity is probably strong.

All due respect to Walton - I hope I’m wrong here: at his age guys get invited to summer league because they need bodies for the blue blood prospects to whoop up on.

Beverly is actually a pretty good object lesson here (a PG with the same body as Walton, out of the NBA) - he needed to dominate in Europe to get a nod in the NBA after a few years of kicking around (he was also 2 years younger than Walton is now). Not sure a summer league run over a few games will help.

1 Like

I think this was predictable considering how poorly he was playing against lesser competition.

Obviously, a perch on an NBA roster is the goal, and I don’t want to undersell that. But I also think we sometimes lose sight of the fact that these guys are basketball players, that’s their metier. I’m an ecologist, you’re a lawyer, etc. DWalt is doing what he loves to do at a very high level, a higher level than that at which I am plying my trade, and I’m a pretty happy/fulfilled guy. Just think it’s important to temper the notion that these guys are somehow failing because they’re not making bazillions.

I know I’ve tried to articulate this before, and I won’t bore everyone with it again.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree - if Walton can keep playing high level basketball for a decade in an awesome city like Berlin, it’s a good life, he’s still one of the best in the world, and a great accomplishment.

1 Like

He has a contract.

Duncan lighting up China right now 5/8 for 14 points in 15 minutes

2 Likes

Poole shot 3/14 from three tonight. Yikes. Thats a lot of 3s to take when you’re not stroking it.

Gotta think the Clippers trade for PG increases Walton’s chances at the NBA a smidge

1 Like

Why? Was not even the best PG on his German team. He’s not an NBA player

With LAC losing their PG and taking on George, they’ll presumably be looking for cheap options in the backcourt. I would think they’re more likely to take the guy on the two way contract that has been in their system (Wallace, mentioned earlier in the thread), but that would leave a spot on their GLeague team open. And who knows from there.

Him not being the best Pg on his German team doesn’t tell me much. I don’t watch them play, don’t know their system or their roster. Doesn’t exactly disqualify him from being of interest to a franchise in my mind. He played in the NbA as a third PG for 1/5 of a season just a season ago. Not outlandish for NBA teams to consider him IMO

2 Likes