Michigan Women's Hoops

I too follow womens hoops. I’m surprised this topic hasn’t come up sooner.

3 Likes

I follow from a very elevated view. I find women’s hoops boring to watch.

1 Like

Sidor and especially Maddie Nolan has promising freshmen years as well - Nolan was huge in the BTT win over NW.

1 Like

I covered the women’s team for a year during the Borseth days when I wrote for the Daily. I’ve tried to keep tabs (more or less successfully) ever since. But KAB looks to be building a good program in what’s historically been a very weak sport at Michigan. I’m hoping to spend more time watching them moving forward.

3 Likes

The team hasn’t gotten much better since then but I miss Flaherty who played with a ton of swagger.

1 Like

I worked a little bit with women’s basketball in the late 90’s. I know a couple Wolverines from that era made the WNBA. Pollyanna Johns, Stacey Thomas, and a couple years later, Jen Smith. I know UM has had some ranked teams recently, but not sure if those squads sent anyone on to the pro ranks.

1 Like

I love the Lady Wolverine basketball program and felt that under Coach Barnes-Arico that if they could every string together some top 20 recruiting classes they this would catapult them into a consistent top 15 program. Coach has gotten in some very sound players and I’m sold on her bench coaching and decision making during games. If she can only keep them all injury free Coach Barnes-Arico should keep the Lady Wolverines near the Top of the Big 10 on a yearly basis.

5 Likes

I got season tickets for the first time this past season. I had been attending a few games a season for ten years or so. I’d love to see some content about the team.

2 Likes

They’re currently 4-0 and at #19 this year- you’re on the verge of interest!

Leigha Brown, a transfer from Nebraska, has been a huge addition so far. She has been a great compliment to Naz Hillmon, who’s been dominant (averaging a hair below 25/10) so far. On Sunday, Leigha also did the first successful Euro Step by a Woman Wolverine that I’ve seen.

It looks like Izabel Varejão will be stuck in Brazil for the season, unless that vaccine is distributed en masse and travel restrictions loosen. However, they seem to have a pretty solid Freshman class to provide depth.

So, while things next door in the Big House have been disappointing, there’s plenty of good stuff going on at Crisler.

9 Likes

Yeah, looks like Naz will be our first WNBA player?

2 Likes

First in a while, at least.

1 Like

If we are talking women’s hoops, this stat was crazy! The Ohio game was nuts… and I didn’t realize the women’s team had done it previously

10 Likes

Players do go pro early, and I don’t know what Naz Hillmon’s intentions are, but if she were to return, next year’s team would retain most of it’s current contributors - all we’d lose is Hailey Brown, our third leading scorer and top three-point shooter. But everyone else would return - be pretty stacked.

1 Like

I work at an elementary school and the high school we feed into played Naz’ team in the state finals a few years ago. Went to the game and Naz was the second best player (Zia Cooke, that starts for South Carolina was the best) on the floor but you could tell she would be a great college player. She played fantastic, but her team didn’t win.

She’s progressed a ton since then and she could be a back-to-back B1G player of the year. Lucky to have her.

2 Likes

Would love to see regular commentary about the women’s hoop squad here. Watched a couple of games with my daughter last year, and she got into it. . . think they’re a pretty entertaining team from glimpses so far this year.

1 Like

I’ll be at tomorrow’s game, shooting for another site that shall remain nameless, so I’ll give my two cents afterwards. My analysis won’t be that comprehensive but I’ll do my best!

1 Like

Dylan just said it was okay to share photos, so here’s my gallery from Sunday’s game. By the way, I have to give some love to Dustin. He’s been a resource for me since even before I shot my first sporting event and has been kind enough to loan me his 100-400mm lens (which isn’t a cheap one) for when I shoot softball. Great guy!

19 Likes

Hooray for time for M womens hoops here. 2020 team is really good. Kim Barnes Arico has done a tremendous job.

6 Likes

Yeah I really like how Kim Barnes Arico has continued to build her program up and seem to be moving towards being one of the elite Big Ten Womens programs.

4 Likes

I was ready for her to be fired in 17/18 when we almost choked away an NCAA tourney appearance. Her teams had a tendency to fall apart late in the regular season. Would have been five straight years without a tourney bid. But they beat a ranked Maryland team and I don’t have many complaints since. Recruiting has picked up and we could turn a corner this year.

1 Like