Michigan Players in the NBA

Maybe he flew on Spirit?

11 Likes

I challenge you all to beat this sublime retort.

1 Like

Hey I sat there for five minutes and came up with nothing, so just gave the man his LOL emoji and went on my way

Well this isn’t right. He should have 30 likes by now.

So I am listening to Nate Duncan and John Hollinger doing a silly superlatives show and they are discussing “the least athletic player in the NBA”. After discussing a variety of statuesque centers, they then limited themselvs to “6’9” and under", and agreed that it is Caleb Houstan. (he takes 2.2% of his shots at the rim, 1.7% in mid-range, 1.7% from long two…the rest 3’s). His average shot distance is 23.9 feet. They agreed Caleb “won” the “hasn’t gotten hurt or old” category.

Congratulations Caleb!

4 Likes

Caleb and Moussa have to be some of the most unconventional OAD players of all time…and they both are from Michigan and elected to be OAD second rounders instead of staying (though I understand the NIL challenges for both).

Caleb is an unathletic stand-still shooter who is mediocre at hitting threes but does nothing else and yet was “rewarded” as a draft pick since he’s 6-8 even though he doesn’t do much with that. If he were 6-4 is he getting drafted? I still think there’s a good college player in there somewhere but I guess he got paid and is getting to play 10mpg for a playoff team despite how little impact he has for them so more power to him. Happy he’s getting a shot…even if he hasn’t developed beyond what we saw.

Moussa clearly didn’t want to do the school part of being a college player and didn’t have an easy path to NIL money to entice him to stay - but he’s the type of player that SHOULD benefit from college athletes being able to get paid. He would likely be a fun and talented college player that has an impact…instead he looks to be a G-League lifer.

4 Likes

The funny part of Caleb, as you say, is that the appeal of 6’8" was a big part of his draft, but it is essentially irrelevant to how he plays (to be fair, probably some defensive impact)

1 Like

He was one of the strangest “elite” shooting prospects I can remember. Basically couldn’t shoot on the move at all, and couldn’t shoot on the road for some reason either. Like, Duncan Robinson was a D3 recruit but is probably a better athlete?

1 Like

an elite shooter who didn’t shoot at an elite level, yes

It reminds me of 5-star QB prospect Shane Morris, who kept putting up HS stat line like “9-23 for 110 yards”, and I kept wondering “if he’s so good at beign a QB, why doesn’t he ever play well?”

the answer was that he could throw the ball through a brick wall, but had no control where it went.

4 Likes

Being that tall means you can shoot over a lot of wings. Personally I think both of those guys were right to go when they went. Even though the system didn’t do them any favors in terms of self-actualizing as basketball players, those were financial decisions and it’s hard to second guess them.

I feel like this is kind of … ignoring the majority of one-and-done players?

Obviously we are more familiar with the one-and-done guys who are elite NBA players or whatever, but guys going to the NBA and not being good NBA players is … pretty normal?

1 Like

I hope Moussa gets a look somewhere. It doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen with the Clippers.

Bufkin is getting some minutes in this game against the Pistons. So far, I’ve seen him block Ivey’s shot and get his own shot blocked.

1 Like

Ooh- Kobe has 8!

He probably flew on a Boeing next to an emergency exit door

https://twitter.com/Magic_PR/status/1775931137896116391

14 Likes

I had a backlog of “Dunc’d On” pods built up, and Mo was brought up several times (across a few episodes) by Nate and John Hollinger and Danny….as Nate said “he’s just a very impressive offensive player, there really isn’t anyone else who is as efficient at that high a volume without taking threes or being a dominant post player”

He even cracked Nate’s top 30 centers (ie, above some starters) on the premise that a quality backup has more value than a bad starter.

4 Likes

Pretty cool! The stat does seem to lie by omission a bit, because those players mostly vastly exceeded those standards. Here’s what everyone else did:

James:
Rebounds: 1576
Assists: 1563

Paul:
Rebounds: 1001
Assists: 2105

Westbrook:
Rebounds: 1179
Assists: 1757

Doncic:
Rebounds: 1663
Assists: 1534

Edwards:
Rebounds: 1137
Assists: 836

Franz, for comparison:
Rebounds: 1044
Assists: 783

So, all these guys pretty thoroughly beat every one of those measures except Paul, who was doing it in a very different offensive era (and absolutely obliterated the assist number); arguments to be made for Edwards’ assist numbers and Westbrook’s rebounds. Franz just barely passed all of these measures (he reached points last night; he reached rebounds eleven games ago; he reached assists, idk, probably twenty games ago, so a little less “barely” there). It reads as a measure of these guys - “well, if Franz is in the same breath as those guys, he must be really good!” but in fact it’s more like “Franz is the leader of a pack that is behind these guys.” Unfortunately I don’t know how to search to see who else is close to this - like, if there was a big group of guys who barely hit one or two of the three numbers and fell just short on the others, that would prove my point, that there’s a clear second tier (or third tier, because the first tier is just LeBron) that Franz is a leader of. I guess it’s good I don’t know how to look this up because I would risk disproving my own thesis and we can’t have that.

Still, it’s interesting to say that by this very specific measure, those are the only guys who’ve done markedly better than him!

2 Likes

Second team all big ten defense tho

2 Likes

Who knows if he would have even been second team. They only do one All-Defensive team and he was absent.

1 Like