Michigan Players in the NBA

Figured it could be nice to have an ongoing thread to discuss Michigan players in the NBA with the season starting today.

Trey Burke, Utah Jazz
Jamal Crawford, Los Angeles Clippers
Tim Hardaway Jr., Atlanta Hawks
Mitch McGary, Oklahoma City Thunder
Glenn Robinson III, Indiana Pacers
Nik Stauskas, Philadelphia 76ers

Huge year for a lot of guys. Stauskas with a new team and just getting healthy. Pressure on Trey Burke to produce before the Jazz trade for another PG. Mitch McGary is on a title contender with a new coach and free agency looming (for Durant). Glenn Robinson III seems to be in a better situation with the Pacers as well.

Here’s a read on Trey Burke

1 Like

Hawks picked up Tim Hardaway Jr.'s option, but he’s inactive tonight vs. Detroit.

Good read on Hardaway here. http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2015/10/27/ex-wolverine-hardaway-jr-enjoys-fresh-start-with-hawks/74692706/

1 Like

Big and important year for trey, hoping Thj finds consistency while the others didn’t. Really get their feet wet yet. Minus Jamal obviously

Idk if this was for just the one game but Glenn started the other night for the pacers

Big and important year for trey, hoping Thj finds consistency while the others didn't. Really get their feet wet yet. Minus Jamal obviously

Idk if this was for just the one game but Glenn started the other night for the pacers

Pretty sure Monta Ellis was out so they moved him up.

fair enough, he had a decent game so that was nice to see

Yep. He had a really good preseason there and is drawing a lot of positive press. Hopefully a good sign. He has all the tools and is shooting it pretty well in preseason.

Sounds like Nik Stauskas will come off the bench tonight as he returns from injury.

Of former UM players, Crawford ranks 4th in total points scored in the NBA. He’ll probably pass Juwan Howard in that category this year and with a good season, he could pass Webber. He’s getting old for a 2G, so I don’t think he’ll catch Glen Rice, but he could get close.

As far as the young guys, I’ll take a stab and say GRIII has the most prolific career, but it really could be any of them and depends on how they continue to grow (but McGary definitely seems injury-prone).

1 Like

“Of former UM players, Crawford ranks 4th in total points scored in the NBA. He’ll probably pass Juwan Howard in that category this year and with a good season, he could pass Webber. He’s getting old for a 2G, so I don’t think he’ll catch Glen Rice, but he could get close.”

I can’t be reading this right–all three guys ahead of him can’t be former Michigan players, can they? That would deserve a serious story for ESPN.

He means among Michigan players in the NBA.

1 Like

Of the starters from the '13 team, I think Stauskas will end up having the best pro career of all. Although his first year was rocky, with the emphasis the NBA puts on 3’s now I think he will have a solid 10+ year career once he finds the right fit. If Steve Blake can have career, Nik surely can.

Raul Neto gets the start for #Jazz at PG over Trey Burke

— Keith Langlois (@Keith_Langlois) October 28, 2015

Stauskas is on minute restriction, but Brown wouldn't say how long. #Sixers

— Bob Cooney (@BobCooney76) October 28, 2015

If you were wondering about D-Mo. He hurt his foot which has killed his opportunities to sign somewhere.

1 Like

Loong way to go, but Trey looks like he has become a forgotten man in Utah. Hard to believe a rookie has beaten him out. 0 points one assist in 15 minutes tonite.

And a -15 +/- in a loss at Detroit. John Beilein was there watching him though.

Difficult for him to ever be effective in the League with his inability to finish at this level. His ball dominant tendencies in college don’t translate here. Especially with that career shooting %. Ouch.

Maybe I missed something but GRIII doesn’t even appear in the Indiana box score.

1 Like

Not a great opener for Michigan players. Trey put up a zero, Nik was a late scratch due to his back, Tim was inactive and looks like Glenn may have been too. Mitch McGary with a DNP CD.