Michigan announces Juwan Howard as new head coach

So at the time Juwan was hired, we had already lost Poole, Iggy and Matthews to the pros, Jalen Wilson had decommitted, Cole Bajema’s status was uncertain, rival schools were recruiting our current players to transfer, and Franz Wagner was looking doubtful. The makeup of next year’s roster was extremely uncertain.

While Wilson got away (Juwan may not have had much of a chance) all of the current players stayed on board, Bajema reaffirmed his commitment, and now Wagner committed. That’s a pretty good transition.

18 Likes

I’m not that upset with a Jalen Wilson for Franz Wagner trade

12 Likes

Also kept Zeb Jackson

11 Likes

Juwan’s jersey should be hanging from Crisler’s rafters. One of the best Wolverines of all time on and off the court.

2 Likes

I AGREE!!! Go Blue, Dave!!!

1 Like

Great news for Michigan and a strong start for Coach Howard and staff on the recruiting trail. Ironically, after last night’s NBA merry-go-round has OKC looking face-to-face with a rebuild, wonder in Billy Donovan is second guessing his decision to say “no thanks” to Warde?

2 Likes

Great news…great get! Congratulations to JH and the staff! Go Blue!

Found out the news while I was out of the house, get back and my Juwan Howard jersey had just arrived. No coincidence

5 Likes

Michigan’s Juwan Howard has attention of top prospects. Here’s his challenge

I hope it’s OK to link this article from SI. I think it’s a story everyone needs to read.
Michigan coach Juwan Howard could really use a win - Sports Illustrated

6 Likes

Just finished reading this and saw this post. Agreed. Fantastic piece.

3 Likes

From the day Juwan accepted the job at Michigan I’ve been on cloud nine, and I haven’t left it yet. This man has been places and seen things in his life that I never have, both good and bad. He has suffered losses I have never known. He has seen success I never will. I have been spoiled and entitled my entire live, and while I’ve worked hard I’ve never achieved the success he has. Not many of us have. Juwan has MADE himself, with the help of God and the talent God instilled in him, Juwan has made himself the incredible man he is today.

Juwan came from so little, a tough neighborhood in Chicago, but he had the love of a grandma and his friends in Chicago, at school and on the playgrounds, and at Michigan, and a coach who loved him and treated him like a son. At 74 I hope it’s OK for me to say I am just so proud of Juwan because he’s the same age as my son, but I am, I’m proud of the man Juwan is, and I’m proud he’s the coach at Michigan. I don’t doubt Coach Juwan and I never will. His players don’t doubt him or his knowledge of the game and of people, or his love for them. I can’t think of a better man to lead our program at Michigan.

Juwan has lost so much, so many friends and mentors, but he has an incredibly strong character and a WILL to win, and he has strong arms around him in his family, his kids and Jenine, and on this team. I cheer for him and for the kids he coaches…and that he mentors, and fathers, and leads. I hope everyone reads the article.

17 Likes

24 posts were split to a new topic: Givony: Juwan Howard will have NBA interest