Michigan announces Juwan Howard as new head coach

He also clearly was overwhelmed with joy. Not sure if people remember playing sports but when your high school or college careers end on a loss or you win something big, your emotions cloud your judgment and often times it’s tough to answer questions with a clear head. I’m not taking much away from it but it was still neat to see how excited and happy he is to be the head coach. It clearly meant a lot.

10 Likes

there is no Juwan Howard basketball yet and it takes time to find his brand. I am sure that he has his plans, but it is premature to settle on something that has not been tested yet. Actually I would’ve been scared had he started talking about the type of offense and defense he will install.

3 Likes

Add Juwan to the list. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

At least Juwan didn’t say he was running the Flex Offense

1 Like

Franz too Moe??:

2 Likes

He didn’t say anything about running or playing fast did he? Or did I miss it.

I don’t think he did, I was more responding to @hack

1 Like

LOL! Exactly!

Nor I. Was just mocking coachspeak.

To be honest, Beilein never struck me as a particularly polished speaker either - he would get tongue-tied a lot, and ramble a bit. He got better over time though, and did learn after a while to keep saying “this is the best university in the world” which was a big plus ;).

3 Likes

I agree, though Beilein is probably a better speaker than Howard, who is probably a better speaker than Harbaugh

My own memory may be faulty on this, but it seemed to me that Beilein stumbled over his words a bit more with each passing year. One of those unfortunate side effects of aging perhaps.

Disagree. He became more comfortable and polished as time passed.

2 Likes

Sure, that makes sense. I thought he was a little bumpkin-like at times, but just a great explainer of the game. I totally ignored coach press conferences until Michigan got beilein and the Pistons got Stan Van gundy, who is also great in that setting but for different reasons.

I wasn’t referring to his comfort level. He appeared to me to be at ease with the media. I just noticed that he would frequently use the wrong word in a sentence and his grammar was often less than stellar. When answering a question, he would start speaking very quickly as well, so perhaps his brain was just working a bit too fast for his tongue.

Or, again, I could be remembering incorrectly. His press conferences from the past two seasons are what stick out in my mind. It’s more difficult for me to recall his interactions with the media from the early years in Ann Arbor.

1 Like

I don’t have a ranking in my head of great press-conference years and bad, but I do recall press conferences being particularly interesting and illuminating in 12/13.

1 Like

Beilein definitely had some weird quirks to his speech. They become obvious when you transcribe press conferences. But everyone probably does if you look under a microscope.

He definitely became more trusting and open to the media though. Some of that comes from deep NCAA tournament runs and the unavoidable attention (the Final Four is a different level) but he absolutely grew in that area.

6 Likes

Some bits in eisen interview on coaching influences, relationship with coach B, a bit on recruiting model first 7-10 minutes

7 Likes

16 posts were split to a new topic: Juwan Howard photo with Tee Grizzley

If there is anyone out there who is not as excited as I am about Juwan Howard as our Head Basketball Coach here at Michigan then I urge you to listen to today’s segment of Sam Webb’s show, Michigan Insider on WTKA. I get the podcast on podbean, and the Juwan Howard segment today, segment 11, is definitely worth a listen. It’s part of Sam’s Michigan from the Heart show.

In this segment Sam talks with Juwan Howard about a boy named Randy who was at Mott Children’s Hospital and given only weeks to live when Juwan was a very young man on Michigan’s basketball team and a member of the Fab Five. Randy touched young Juwan’s life in an amazing way, and Juwan, and his teammates, too, through Juwan’s leadership, helped to enrich and even extend Randy’s life from just weeks to a year and a half in a selfless, heartfelt, and very touching way.

Coach Eddie, who was co hosting the show with Sam on behalf of Michigan from the Heart, says that Juwan really was the impetus for Michigan from the Heart. Eddie says, “Juwan got the ball rolling,” and Eddie gets choked up just talking about the impact Juwan had on kids at the hospital.

I sat there listening to the podcast with tears in my eyes, and I KNOW that if Juwan can connect with kids and their parents while sitting in their living rooms the way he connected with me through cyberspace today, he will have no problem helping them to understand what a special place Michigan is, and in convincing them to come play for an NBA all star and former NBA coach and an incredible human being with a huge heart, and a true Michigan man! Juwan IS Michigan from the Heart. He touched my heart today, that’s for sure! He’ll touch yours, too. Give it a listen, if you can!

11 Likes