Report: Jeff Meyer 'in the equation' for Liberty HC job

Per Jeff Goodman

“Michigan assistant Jeff Meyer is in the equation for the vacant Liberty job, sources told ESPN.”

Some interesting stories, posts, thoughts on Meyer’s time at Liberty
https://www.flamefans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20384

I would rather lose him or Alexander then Jordan who’s going to get a ton of looks as a HC at some of these mid major openings

I would rather lose him or Alexander then Jordan who's going to get a ton of looks as a HC at some of these mid major openings

Hard to see Jordan staying for the duration of Beilein’s time here. Might not be bad for him to establish himself as a HC at a mid-major and then snatch him up in 3-5 years

If Meyers were to leave, who would be the Ideal/best replacement? Could we find a former NBA’er ala Damon Stoudamire/Arizona, or Rod Strickland/Kentucky? Any Ex College Stars trying to cut their teeth in coaching and knows the ins and outs of the recruiting world? Are there any legendary High School/AAU coaches in a Hoops Hot Bed looking to make the leap to college? Can Michigan expand the Basketball reach in a similar fashion as Football with their latest hirings?

You would think Patrick Beilein would be on the short list.

Ideally if you at staff makeup you would be looking for a older more established guy like a jerry Dunn Jeff meyer type …

I would like to see JB continue the trend of assistants being young, they relate easier to the kids and are better recruiters. Really think LaVall will be our HC at some point assuming he doesn’t take another job elsewhere. Think he will be really successful.

I think Pat Beilein could make a lot of sense…

If you want an AAU type, look at Marlon Williamson at Pittsburgh. He would probably bolster Michigan’s in-state recruiting with The Family.

Delete

While I agree with the young assistants, Me personally, I don’t care for Grandfathered HC hires. Get the BEST, spend the money. I can’t see Lavall Jordan being Michigans best option once Beilein steps down. I would have VCU coach Shaka Smart or even Jeff Capel over Lavall.

I would like to see JB continue the trend of assistants being young, they relate easier to the kids and are better recruiters. Really think LaVall will be our HC at some point assuming he doesn’t take another job elsewhere. Think he will be really successful.

I think Pat Beilein could make a lot of sense…

If you want an AAU type, look at Marlon Williamson at Pittsburgh. He would probably bolster Michigan’s in-state recruiting with The Family.

Without giving away too much, Marlon would certainly be interested.

While I agree with the young assistants, Me personally, I don't care for Grandfathered HC hires. Get the BEST, spend the money. I can't see Lavall Jordan being Michigans best option once Beilein steps down. I would have VCU coach Shaka Smart or even Jeff Capel over Lavall.
I would like to see JB continue the trend of assistants being young, they relate easier to the kids and are better recruiters. Really think LaVall will be our HC at some point assuming he doesn't take another job elsewhere. Think he will be really successful.

Are you a VCU alum or something? I don’t think Coach Jordan would be our best option if he was still a UM assistant when JB retires. But I think we all expect him to get a HC position soon and you never know where he is 4-5 years down the line. But Capel is definitely not an inspiring choice. Michigan could do alot better IMO. Personally, I think Smart is overrated as well. Though I’d take both over Jordan, but that’s really only because Jordan is inexperienced as a HC more than it is anything that Capel and Smart have accomplished.

What makes Patrick Beilein a suitable replacement if Meyer were to leave? He spent a couple years as a grad assistant for Michigan and 2 years at West Virginia Wesleyan. Do we even know if he can recruit players?

Well, he parlayed his experience into a spot on the Utah Jazz staff with no connection to anyone on it. Quin Snyder seems to believe that he is an up and comer in the coaching ranks.

Well, he parlayed his experience into a spot on the Utah Jazz staff with no connection to anyone on it. Quin Snyder seems to believe that he is an up and comer in the coaching ranks.

Would Patrick Beilein be on your radar as possible a replacement if his father wasn’t coach at Michigan?

I am not saying he can’t do the job but being in charge of player development from an NBA team(skill development) can be far different than being a college assistant and hitting the road constantly trying to recruit guys.

Would Patrick Beilein be on your radar as possible a replacement if his father wasn’t coach at Michigan?

I am not saying he can’t do the job but being in charge of player development from an NBA team(skill development) can be far different than being a college assistant and hitting the road constantly trying to recruit guys.

Luckily his dad is a NCAA head coach and has been a GA for power conference program and has two years as a lower level college assistant. Plus he would (ideally) still have BA and Jordan to lean on for advice and help. And his dad. I think he could absolutely do the job. The question is if he is the best option for the job.

Luckily his dad is a NCAA head coach and has been a GA for power conference program and has two years as a lower level college assistant. Plus he would (ideally) still have BA and Jordan to lean on for advice and help. And his dad. I think he could absolutely do the job. The question is if he is the best option for the job.

I would like to know his philosophies on certain things. I can’t imagine they’re much different than his dad and if that’s the case they should probably stay away. They need to find an assistant that is first and foremost a recruiting bulldog who will get it after and bring in the top kids. Second of all they need to find an assistant who really values defense, rebounding, blocked shots and isn’t afraid to actually foul.

I would like to know his philosophies on certain things. I can’t imagine they’re much different than his dad and if that’s the case they should probably stay away. They need to find an assistant that is first and foremost a recruiting bulldog who will get it after and bring in the top kids. Second of all they need to find an assistant who really values defense, rebounding, blocked shots and isn’t afraid to actually foul.

Do you really think that a Head Coach is going to hire someone who doesn’t buy in on the said Head Coach’s philosophy on damn near everything. The Head Coach calls the shots for a reason. To hire someone who believes in completely different philosophies on recruiting and style of play would not work out well, unless the Head Coach himself has a philosophy shift.

Well when your team has been one of the worst defensive teams in power conference basketball the past couple of years, it might be time to start looking at what you’re doing on that end of the court.

I think a head coach needs to be comfortable with his staff and not afraid to hire people smarter than you. You shouldn’t be afraid to hire a coach that can bring a different set of eyes or philosophy if it can help your team.