Matt McQuaid decommits from SMU

This discussion was created from comments split from: Assorted Notes.

2nd time a charm?

Matt McQuaid, a top tier shooter in 2015, is reopening his recruitment and backing off his commitment to SMU, per his coach Wes Grandstaff.

— Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels) July 20, 2014

Matt McQuaid had committed to SMU in the late spring. 6-5 with a terrific shot. Had huge performance at LeBron.

— Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels) July 20, 2014

Interesting about McQuaid. Maybe has something to do with Mudiay no longer attending? I’d say Michigan should get re-involved if they haven’t already been keeping tabs on him.

Prince Ali could go to UCLA and Coleman could go to ND EASILY, so another target on the board is good.

I’m not completely sold on McQuaid, very one dimensional in my view. Decent athlete with good size though.

No brainer if there is any mutual interest left. His paternal grandparents still live in Midland where his dad was a 70s legendary HS all-around athlete. We could easily be left at the altar by Coleman, Davis, or Ali. This kid has much more athleticism than giving credit for, it just needs to be tapped. His jumper has the highest arc I’ve ever seen, but it knows where to go.

From the film I’ve seen, McQuaid can dribble and is a pretty good athlete, he would just need to get a lot stronger to be a threat driving to the basket. Not unlike Nik at a similar age.

As I understand it, we watched him in an early EYBL tourney, he struggled, we did not ask him to visit, he then committed to SMU. My guess is that we would probably be more interested now that he’s playing really well again.

I do like Williams’ film, too. Either guy would be fine with me.

LA and Guestavo have it nailed. His play substantially improved as the EYBL progressed and the NBA skills show out has his camp believing he is worthy of higher attention. I’m not a Twtterer, but I believe his dad has called him the best shooter in the country and put it on Twitter saying something about such. Who knows what the end game will be?

From the film I've seen, McQuaid can dribble and is a pretty good athlete, he would just need to get a lot stronger to be a threat driving to the basket. Not unlike Nik at a similar age.

As I understand it, we watched him in an early EYBL tourney, he struggled, we did not ask him to visit, he then committed to SMU. My guess is that we would probably be more interested now that he’s playing really well again.

I do like Williams’ film, too. Either guy would be fine with me.

Not saying McQuaid has a horrible handle, but to compare his handle to Nik at the same age is a huge stretch in my opinion. Nik had a tremendous handle in HS, but had no strength at all and carried bad weight. McQuaid is ahead of the game in relation to Nik at the same age in terms of athleticism and physique, but that is where the argument ends in my view.

That being said I do think McQuaid does have some nice potential as a 6’5 shooter with above average athleticism. Wouldn’t mind him but he is down my list of preferred candidates.

I think McQuaid’s handle, in terms of being able to get to the rim, is similar to Nik at this stage. But Nik was a far better passer.

McQuaid feels like a Diebler/John Scheyer sort of player to me. Those are guys that would thrive in our offense. I certainly would prefer Ali or Coleman, but if we can’t get those guys I think McQuaid could be successful for us.

As far as Josh Jackson, the whole thing is kinda comical. Zero doubt in my mind he goes to Kansas, Kentucky, or maybe a UCLA now that he’s going to prep school in CA. The bigger question will be whether he’ll be eligible to play in college.

LA - spot on with the Diebler comparison, I was thinking the same.

Jackson - let me start by saying that I’ve seen this kid in person 3-4 times, and there is no doubt in my mind that he is quite possibly the best recruit to come out of the state since the mid 90s. He has everything you could possibly want in terms of skill set and athleticism.

That being said, I wouldn’t touch that recruitment with a ten foot broomstick - it just doesn’t seem right, it almost seems certain that there are going to be some issues with that. Won’t really matter much, because he’s going to be a one and done, no doubt in my mind he has NBA level skill and athleticism.

Oh, I agree completely on Jackson. He’s the highest rated state of Michigan recruit since Traylor, Webber and Rose, and we know those three recruitments were hardly clean. Jackson could easily go the route of Mudiay.

Get McQuaid…I don’t care if he’s just a shooter!

Who does he compare to? A mix of Stu + Irvin?

if he is a super sized stu with same level of defense, it would be a great get.

More athletic than Irvin or Stu, handle is suspect in my opinion (although some disagree). Great catch and shoot player and good finisher. For some reason he looks very stiff to me on film, doesn’t look fluid.

He definitely plays upright but I like his game.

He definitely plays upright but I like his game.

Thought I was the only one that noticed

if he is a super sized stu with same level of defense, it would be a great get.

From the game footage I watched yesterday, defense is a weakness of his game.

More athletic than Irvin or Stu, handle is suspect in my opinion (although some disagree). Great catch and shoot player and good finisher. For some reason he looks very stiff to me on film, doesn't look fluid.
If you had to choose one, Matt McQuaid or Seth Towns?