Trevon Bluiett Decommits from UCLA

http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/archives/4236

Interesting development. Does Michigan pursue him again after getting Chatman?

Yes- Absolutely - Dude can score. Take 2 of Bluiett, Blackmon, Booker.

Butler, Purdue, & Xavier all in to see Bluiett this AM

Hopefully the coaches will pick up the pursuit of Bluiett, he was a co- #1 on my board(well ahead of Booker in my opinion) with Looney/Chatman before the UCLA committment.

This kid can flat out score, would love to have him in the mix.

He would be a good addition to Michigan and I would like to have him so he doesn’t join Purdue, Indiana, or really any B1G team.

I think them not being in contact like the other schools already are, says something. Maybe they will in the next couple days, but if they don’t then it says they like their chances with the other recruits…plus i would assume that after you spend 2 yrs recruiting a kid and he chooses else where then you move on, even with the decommitment there must be some pride and dignity for the coaches, its almost embarrassing if they try recruiting him again imo.

I think them not being in contact like the other schools already are, says something. Maybe they will in the next couple days, but if they don't then it says they like their chances with the other recruits.....plus i would assume that after you spend 2 yrs recruiting a kid and he chooses else where then you move on, even with the decommitment there must be some pride and dignity for the coaches, its almost embarrassing if they try recruiting him again imo.

I agree with you on a moral/ethical basis, however, I 'd much rather be embarrassed in this regard vs. being embarrassed on the court due to a lack of talent. In other words, the job of a basketball coach if very simple, win. You can put pride on the backburner if it means you are getting a kid that has a good head on his shoulders, even if a mistake was made, if the kid has the skills/talent that will make your team better.

I agree with you on a moral/ethical basis, however, I 'd much rather be embarrassed in this regard vs. being embarrassed on the court due to a lack of talent. In other words, the job of a basketball coach if very simple, win. You can put pride on the backburner if it means you are getting a kid that has a good head on his shoulders, even if a mistake was made, if the kid has the skills/talent that will make your team better.

Yeah. We’re wayyyyyy above that at this point. To the point of this being a pretty ridiculous comment in context of our program.

Hopefully he doesn’t land with another Big Ten team if he doesn’t come to Michigan.

UCLA is a total mess right now. I’m not sure why he decided to commit there in the first place (didn’t they hire one of his coaches or something?).

Hopefully he doesn't land with another Big Ten team if he doesn't come to Michigan.

UCLA is a total mess right now. I’m not sure why he decided to commit there in the first place (didn’t they hire one of his coaches or something?).

Yeah - they hired his high school coach (Schilling) who was a former Calipari assistant at UMass/NJ Nets.

Yeah. We’re wayyyyyy above that at this point. To the point of this being a pretty ridiculous comment in context of our program.

How so? Please expand on your thoughts.

Is it ridiculous that we pick up pursuit of a kid that was once very high on our board simply because he chose another school, and realized it was a mistake, all in the name of pride? That seems ridiculous to me.

I’ll even take it a step further, is it not ridiculous that we settle for the DJ Wilsons of the world rather than pursue Trevon, despite the fact that Wilson is clearly 2-3 tiers below Bluiett in terms of talent.

Cracks me up. Some think they properly evaluate a kid after seeing 5 minutes of film. The coaching staff knows what they are doing. To say Wilson is clearly this that or whatever…ha…5 minutes of film…redonkulous. And if we are basing opinions on little clips of players…I frankly like Wilson more then I did of Grantham.

Cracks me up. Some think they properly evaluate a kid after seeing 5 minutes of film. The coaching staff knows what they are doing. To say Wilson is clearly this that or whatever.....ha....5 minutes of film.....redonkulous. And if we are basing opinions on little clips of players....I frankly like Wilson more then I did of Grantham.

I agree with you that we should generally defer to the expertise of the coaching staff, but does that preclude us fans from providing our opinions and analysis regarding a recruit’s skills? If that is indeed the case, why the hell should we have a message board? This is so frustrating, it’s as if we should take Michigan’s interest in a particular player as confirmation that he is automatically a superb talent, and will excel at Michigan despite some concern on film.

Quite frankly, I’m not wired that way, I’m going to give my INDEPENDENT and objective analysis and opinion on a given player regardless of who we are pursuing.

Let’s be real here folks, college coaches, including Coach B, whiff all the time on talent evaluations. Their eyes are not golden. Talent evaluation is very subjective, and it’s not an exact science by any stretch. I really want Bielfeldt to excel at Michigan, but at this point I find it hard to believe that he was really worth a scholarship considering he will probably be relegated to spot duty in blowouts, or limited time based on injuries to other players for the duration of his tenure at Michigan, we simply have better options. Carlton Brundidge is another example. Izzo whiffed on Russell Byrd, it happens to the best of coaches.

That being said, if some of you have opinions/analysis that differ from my views, I openly welcome those opinions, and I’d be glad to discuss those opinions objectively. But spare me all this BS about “well the coaching staff likes him, so he must be good” garbage, because that’s exactly what it is. I’d like to discuss YOUR views and analysis, not reiterate what the coaches are doing, that is the job of Dylan, Joe, and the rest of the staff.

In closing, you state that “some people think they can properly evaluate a kid after 5 minutes of film” - referring to me basically. However, it is funny to me that you choose me to latch on to, presumably because I don’t have a favorable opinion on Wilson’s skills. I pose this question to you - why don’t you direct that question to those with a favorable opinion of Wilson’s skills? Are they better equipped to evaluate Wilson after viewing those same exact 5 minutes of film?

no - we all have very limited film for evaluations - - relax. My opinion - Grantham did not impress me. Average out side shot. Not very strong. Saw zero post up moves. not impressed. I would not be thrilled with Wislon - but we have missed on other options so he is next. I still really want a Blackmon, Booker or Bluiett.

We are not “above” pursuing Bluiett. That’s a ridiculous and arrogant attitude to take towards it. Modern recruiting is a degrading practice for coaches. They pretty much have to suck up teenagers. Who cares if he spurned us once? It’s not like he decommitted from us. I’d be all for adding him. He’s a good and well rounded player that can play at a high level for us. I’d take him in a heartbeat. Just as I would Blackmon Jr (who is a decommit from another school) or Booker.

We are not "above" pursuing Bluiett. That's a ridiculous and arrogant attitude to take towards it. Modern recruiting is a degrading practice for coaches. They pretty much have to suck up teenagers. Who cares if he spurned us once? It's not like he decommitted from us. I'd be all for adding him. He's a good and well rounded player that can play at a high level for us. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Just as I would Blackmon Jr (who is a decommit from another school) or Booker.

Couldn’t agree more.

We are not "above" pursuing Bluiett. That's a ridiculous and arrogant attitude to take towards it. Modern recruiting is a degrading practice for coaches. They pretty much have to suck up teenagers. Who cares if he spurned us once? It's not like he decommitted from us.

To be clear, I don’t hold this view because he picked UCLA. I hold this view because of the way he treated us as he chose to visit UCLA. That’s an important distinction. But as for whether our coaches agree with me or you…do you see us making an effort with him?

We are not "above" pursuing Bluiett. That's a ridiculous and arrogant attitude to take towards it. Modern recruiting is a degrading practice for coaches. They pretty much have to suck up teenagers. Who cares if he spurned us once? It's not like he decommitted from us.

To be clear, I don’t hold this view because he picked UCLA. I hold this view because of the way he treated us as he chose to visit UCLA. That’s an important distinction. But as for whether our coaches agree with me or you…do you see us making an effort with him?

Depends if we strike out with Booker/Blackmon.

Doesn’t really work that way. There’s no way we could ignore him until after knowing where those guys are going. See Bess. We’d be reaching back out now if there was any chance at us being interested. Or maybe we did and he didn’t reciprocate…

Doesn’t really work that way. There’s no way we could ignore him until after knowing where those guys are going. See Bess. We’d be reaching back out now if there was any chance at us being interested. Or maybe we did and he didn’t reciprocate…

Why doesn’t it work that way? You are failing to account for the fact that Bluiett essentially left us at the alter, not the other way around.

Considering the fact that Blackmon and Booker are deciding within the next 2-4 weeks, I don’t think it would necessarily be all that bad to wait it out and react accordingly.