Looks like Michigan at Rutgers will be at MSG

Minneapolis would be a great place for the Big 10 tournament. Target Center is newly renovated and the downtown area is fantastic.

1 Like

Only problem with Minneapolis is that it is a city that has a Big Ten team. Wouldn’t be a true neutral site.

1 Like

You mentioned it on the pod I think but remind me why you’re anti-United Center?

It isn’t close to anything. Compare to Indianapolis where each Big Ten school has its own bar right around the arena that you can walk to. It is just a much better atmosphere all around. Feels like the whole city is into it. Meanwhile in Chicago, it is just an event off at the United Center that no one really knows is going on.

3 Likes

Chicago has Northwestern on the north side. Indy hosts holiday tournaments for IU regularly. Milwaukee has Wisconsin fairly nearby. Detroit has MSU and Michigan nearby. I don’t think it is that much different for Minneapolis and Minnesota. It is hard to find medium or large cities in the midwest that aren’t somewhat close to one of the Big Ten schools. Having attended a Big Ten tournament in Indianapolis, I think it would be hard to improve on the experience there.

Been to Indy twice, once for the inaugural Big Ten Football Championship and once for a Big Ten Tournament. Both times I had a blast. Downtown area is big enough but not too big – for the basketball tournament it’s like one big party. A great city IMO.

1 Like

Yep, Indy is great. I don’t think the Big Ten Tournament should only be in Indianapolis though, kind of like giving other cities a chance to host.

3 Likes

For sure, rotating is important. Would love to go if it ever made its way to Detroit or possibly even Milwaukee.

Minneapolis is another cool city. Spent some time there for a football game in 2015 and enjoyed my time in the downtown area. I know Minny is there (great campus BTW) but IMO it’s more of a pro sports city.

2 Likes

I think Grand Rapids would be a good under the radar site. Van Andel can seat 11-12k, there are plenty of restaurants and hotels and it’s an up and coming city with a lot of other attractions. Plus it’s very close to the geographical center of the conference.

3 Likes

As a GR resident I would be all for this idea!

2 Likes

You in Milwaukee?

Fiserv Forum is in a great, lively area. Would be a great place to host the tournament.

B1G would never go for that. The arena here in Indy holds 20k. They aren’t going to an arena 8-9k under that capacity.

1 Like

Don’t really think that Grand Rapids is a big enough city (arena, hotels, airport, etc)

3 Likes

Grand Rapids would suck

Grand Rapids would be awesome

1 Like

And nobody mentioned Cleveland? Not even Dylan? [snickers]

Only if Bone Thugs does a free concert for everyone who buys tourney tix.

1 Like

I agree with Dylan. Don’t really think that Grand Rapids is a big enough city (arena, hotels, airport, etc).

Milwaukee trumps Grand Rapids in just about every way when it comes to being a host city.

2 Likes

Not commenting on the feasibility of it, saying it would be awesome to watch Big Ten Basketball in the small town Midwest. A short walk/drive from the best craft beer scene there is and a short drive from Grand Haven and the Lake Michigan dunes. Pure Michigan.

3 Likes

Been lucky enough to attend all locations and Dylan nailed it. Indy is hands down the best spot with NYC/MSG a solid second. The United Center is just too far from downtown Chicago and even traveling back and forth can be a problem. The B1G would never agree to play the tournament @ DePaul’s arena near the McCormick Center, but that could be a wild madhouse playing before 10-11,000 juiced up fanatics.