Juwan Howard Coaching Rumors

Juwan Howard Ice Arena? :grinning:

4 Likes

It may be up for grabs soon. I might be more willing to move Fritz over there, and rename the basketball stadium, something like, say, ``We’ll Put Your Name Here When You Win an NCAA Tournament Winner Arena"

3 Likes

They seem reluctant to do any updating over there, with regards to the name. The scoreboard still says Crisler Arena, even though the name was changed to Crisler Center early 2012.

2 Likes

We’re talking about different things. You are evaluating on the basis of, “what’s the best opening in the NBA?”

I would suggest that if Juwan were prepared to leave for the first good NBA job opening, he wouldn’t have accepted the Michigan job. What I am discussing is: given my belief that Juwan won’t leave for just any NBA job, what circumstance could hypothetically tempt him to make a transition he otherwise doesn’t plan to make?

The Blazers is a nice job. It’s not the sort of opening that changes the calculus. I would believe that the types of opening that could change the calculus are either, “Come coach here and win an NBA title in year one,” or, “Come to Miami, a unique franchise and culture that you love and have loyalty toward, that is also very competitive.” Those openings aren’t likely, and thus I’m not super-worried about Juwan leaving this year… but were one of those opportunities to arise and the franchise in question target Juwan, I’d be quite concerned.

And I wouldn’t blame him there.

My hopeful-but-reasonable mental model suggests that Juwan will try to build something over four years or so (some variation depending on his boys) at least. Beyond that he may want to continue, and I hope he does… but it also wouldn’t surprise me if the NBA remained a significant life goal, and in that case an opening like Portland would look very attractive. But not until that time frame, IMO.

1 Like

In this same vein, they should rename it “Trey Burke Arena (Block Was Clean)”

5 Likes

I feel like Juwan has the opportunity to wait for the perfect NBA opportunity to open up. Kind of like Brad Stevens jumped at the Celtics job 8 years ago when it looked like they had all the makings of a great run. Until that job opens up, he’ll be perfectly happy coaching at UM. I don’t think Portland is that job.

1 Like

The idea of waiting for the perfect gig may not pan out because that depends on the job that opens and whether or not it can entice somebody. Remember when Stevens took the Celtics job it wasn’t a very good gig as far as a roster goes. Their best players were Rondo and Avery Bradley. Still took him 4 years or so to get it going. Billy Donovan walked into OKC when they had Russ and KD that alone is enticing. A Portland job that was a top 10 player in the league, some good pieces surrounding him. Those jobs don’t open up all the time.

I would not begrudge Juwan for leaving for the NBA at any point if that was his dream. That said it is difficult to imagine the timing would be for him to leave now after only 2 years with a monster recruiting class on board and his youngest son in the next class. If he really wanted the NBA as a primary motivation he would have never come to Michigan because he was already getting interest.

My personal guess is he will be here til at least Jett leaves. He might be here til he retires. He may also get bored in college after 5 or 10 or 15 years and want to try the NBA before he gets too old. Unlikely he even listens to offers this offseason, especially for a middling team like Portland. Damian Lillard is amazing, but they have limited ways to try to improve any time soon.

2 Likes

Sure, but the Celtics also had a ton of immediate and future assets that Stevens would grow with. Of course, the Celtics ended up squandering a lot of those assets through mismanagement and only coming out of it with Brown, Tatum and the ghost of Kyrie Irving, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a prime job at the time. Portland has a great player but has capped out as a middling team with horrible defense and no cap space or assets to improve with.

The informal nickname will always be “The House That Trey Renovated (Block Was Clean)”

2 Likes

That’s quite the understatement.

I think a lot depends if they can move McCollum. Nurkic is on a good contract, Lillard is a stud, if you can keep Norm Powell who’s on the rise, won a championship he’s a good player to slide in the role of McCollum. Simons seems to be a guy on the rise can add punch off the bench and hit 3’s. Zach Collins is still pretty young he needs to show more but wouldn’t be a guy I give up on. Portland was tied for the 8th best record in the league that isn’t a middling team imo.

Portland at no point was a title contender and they have almost no way to become one any time soon unless they hit the jackpot on a draft pick. They are stuck in that good enough to make the playoffs but nowhere near contending range. They lost to Denver who was missing a bunch of key players including one of the best guards in the league. It is not a great job.

McCollum is on the hook for more than $30M per year and no way to unload that without giving up significant assets. Lillard turns 31 next month and they owe he and McCollum more than $80M next season.

2 Likes

Portland does seem stuck.

From a Hollinger article in The Athletic today, a perhaps encouraging note that Chauncey Billups seems to be the presumptive hire in Portland:

Olshey mentioned presenting 20-25 names to ownership, and here at The Athletic we already know several of them: Chauncey Billups, Chawns E. Billups, Aunceycha Illupsba, John C. Billups, and darkhorse William “Bill” Upscommachauncey.

Yes, league sources think Billups — currently a Clipper assistant — is the likely choice, which may be why Lakers assistant Jason Kidd removed himself from consideration with lightning speed.

https://theathletic.com/2638547/2021/06/08/is-lillard-the-nbas-next-big-trade-domino-its-up-to-portlands-next-coach-hollingers-front-office-perspective/?

4 Likes

I wonder how much, if any, positive recruiting Juwan can get out of the rumors. You’d think playing for a coach who’s so good that the NBA wants him would be a pretty big draw.

This thought also lead me to wondering if Izzo used the same argument back when there were some rumors of the NBA/Cavs being interested in him. Which is laughable. Can you imagine a 20mil/year athlete taking Tom’s sideline antics? Watching JB, who imo also had a coaching style much more fitting of the college game, flame out so hard just makes me all the more confident Gilbert was just trying to do Izzo a favor with the rumors

1 Like

Expected, but nice to get the confirmation.

23 Likes

Juwan dancing GIF

The last NBA-Michigan coach Woj bomb we got destroyed my soul. This one is so much better.

14 Likes

Not surprising. I’ll start to worry when Jett’s time at Michigan is done…

6 Likes

You and me both.

Clearly I’m still scarred…on this one, I opened Twitter, saw “Woj” and “Juwan” and then Twitter did its auto-update thing pushing the tweet down my timeline. It was a stressful few moments while I scrolled down and then got a big sigh of relief :sweat_smile:

4 Likes