Juwan Howard Coaching Rumors

He did this exact thing last off-season. I doubt it’s on his agenda to make a public statement every off-season.

3 Likes

The NBA jobs were always there, and Juwan could have had one by now had he passed on the Michigan job, if the NBA gig was his dream. His dream job is the one he has now. He said so. Some guys can’t be taken at their word or say what sounds good at the moment. That’s NOT Juwan. He’s committed; he’s staying. Believe him.

3 Likes

No matter what he says the rumors are going to persist as long as he’s in college. Even Jim Harbaugh still gets advances every summer. This past summer he had the Jets and I thought one other NFL team he was supposedly seriously linked to, and Harbaugh hasn’t lived up to the billing as much as was hoped.

3 Likes

Wasn’t the conventional wisdom that Michigan is the ONLY college job he would consider? That makes me assume that NBA is the ultimate dream (and I think the vast majority of Michigan fans knew that when he was hired.)

He has the benefit of getting to be selective (he’s not going to Cleveland) but if Lebron, for example, says “Hey come coach the Lakers,” it would be a very hard offer to turn down.

3 Likes

I’d much rather have this speculation each summer than not. Means Michigan is had another successful season. I don’t think he’s going anywhere soon. JH is a smart guy. I think he understands that there is more to be done. It’s great to be a basketball school.

3 Likes

It makes sense to me that he’ll be here at least until Jace and Jett are through, and hopefully jaylen is right and saying that he’s not going to go without bringing a national championship first. Anything beyond that is gravy.

But I agree that we should just get that darn contract extension done already. Highest paid coach in the Big Ten; top five nationally. Just do it NOW, please.

2 Likes

I’d like to think that at this point he is going to be around until Jace/Jett are done. And with the level of success he has shown if he wants to pursue the NBA at that point I would have to imagine the program would be in a very solid position. Could very well be an entire generation that would know Michigan basketball as a top tier program. Plus with what’s going on at Duke and UNC it’s not a stretch to think of Michigan being in that blue blood conversation come that time.

Of course should the unthinkable happen and Juwan were to leave I would hope JB is not too attached to that Pistons gig…

2 Likes

I’d be shocked if he left this summer for the NBA. From everything I’ve seen, he loves it here. He’s been to Michigan softball and baseball games (and on his own) in the last few weeks. That’s not for show. It’s for support of his fellow coaches and their programs.

1 Like

Not to mention…there will always be NBA jobs for him that come open each year. If/when he wants to consider it, there will be options. No one would have predicted Boston or Portland to come open.

Yeah, sorry, this line of takes from you is garbage. Suggesting that leaving after two years means the tears are fake? Frankly, you have no standing to say such a thing.

It wouldn’t be optimal for the program if he left after two years; it also wouldn’t be optimal to assume that one know everything about the character of someone who was offered and accepted a job that was their ultimate goal in life to the disappointment of some guys on a message board.

I don’t expect him to leave yet. The Blazers job is nice, but the Blazers aren’t incipient NBA title favorites, and I think you need a roster that is that good to draw Juwan before he has accomplished a bit more at Michigan. If the Lakers, with a healthy Lebron and AD, were to defenestrate their coach and pursue Juwan? I’d worry about that. And not blame him if he left.

But, like you, I don’t know anything. I’m a message board poster. Maybe pull back on the reins of judging the motives and character of others a bit.

4 Likes

I agree Portland is a good job but I think you’re underrating the fact at some point this is probably one of the best jobs that is available currently as well as during the next couple years. Orlando/Indiana are hiring new coaches and both franchises are already interested in Stotts I imagine he gets one of those gigs.

Would Chicago be appealing for Juwan if Donovan cratered?? Maybe but they are already looking at cap issues. They need to win now facing the last year of LaVine’s contract. There are so many other jobs that are just terrible situations that Portland should be quite appealing. They are just 3 years removed from being in the Western Finals.

Does anyone know a definitive site for up-to-date coaching salaries, to the extent that’s possible given various disclosure requirements for state schools and private ones? This link – Men's College Basketball Coach Salaries - USA TODAY – puts Juwan as either the second- or third-lowest paid coach in the conference. 56th overall. But it’s from March 9, so it’s last year’s news. Depending on what Shrewsberry got from PSU, which doesn’t seem to be public knowledge yet, Juwan might actually be the lowest-paid coach in the conference. After this year, that’s an embarrassment.

To my mind, going by that list, he ought to be the fourth-highest paid coach in the country, behind Cal, K and Jay Wright, who is at $6.1m. Next on the list are Chris Beard (before and also after his new deal with Texas) and Rick Barnes. I suppose you could argue that Juwan hasn’t shown as much as those two, or as much as Izzo, who is next on the list now that Roy Williams retired. But I sure hope Warde wouldn’t do that. Rather that he has the foresight to just do the obvious, for moral and also practical reasons – pay this man what he’s worth. Trade a few bits to build in a higher buyout and just get this done already.

I might quibble about the merit of being the fourth highest paid coach in the country based on a host of factors such as track record, longevity etc, but the notion that Juwan should be a top ten paid coach in the country is right. He has shown everything he needs to to justify that type of salary and it will show the proper commitment by the school to him

3 Likes

Well Jeff Goodman has no idea what he’s talking about so that’s your answer right there.

3 Likes

I don’t for a second believe Juwan is leaving Michigan (this year). But do y’all really think he cares about where his pay relates to other coaches? I wouldn’t be surprised if he was more interested in his assistants (and maybe even other program coaches, such as Kim Barnes Arico) getting top dollar than he is clamoring for a raise worth less than a quarter of the return on his investments (taxed at a much higher rate). I’m sure there are other ways for Warde to show Coach how appreciated he is.

I haven’t loved every one of Warde’s moves, but I do trust him here. He landed Harbaugh (when all of us thought he was our savior) and he brought home Howard too. Michigan has plenty of money and it’s an easy sell for anybody to extend Howard and backup the money truck. If Howard cares about an extension, it will happen easily and whenever he asks for it.

3 Likes

That wasn’t Warde. That was the interim AD guy who’s name is escaping me at the moment. Hackett I think?

Regardless, the assistant money pool is pretty competitive I think. They’re all here and their contracts are done after this year. I’m sure they’ll get reevaluated after this coming season.

Probably? Who wouldn’t? I don’t think that is a bad thing. Even if you’ve made a lot of money, you are still allowed to care how much money you are paid and how that ranks relative to your industry.

10 Likes

Yup. And even though in reality Harbaugh had been ready to come home for quite a while, they still made it seem like a real production.

Fully agree. I think you pay him top dollar because competitive people are competitive about salaries even if they don’t need the money, but do everything else you can do as well. To me, 10-12 years of Howard would be infinitely better than 8-10 years.

Pay the assistants and give him whatever he wants to run the program as he sees fit. I’d also aim to have a steady stream of events and honors. The Fab Five banners go up some time in the next few years. #25 hoisted when Jace graduates (assuming he keeps the number), next to Cazzie Russell and never to be worn again. Coordinated campaigns to aim the Michigan Money Cannon at the Juwan Howard Foundation. Name the court after him, commission a statue, etc. etc. Just keep on showing him love and respect.

2 Likes

Lifetime contract, $50 million buyout. It’s the only way I’ll be able to get over losing all the Wagners.

4 Likes

If a good guideline for an engagement ring is two months salary, then I have four months salary to chip in for this.

1 Like