Jordan Poole

Matt, I'm glad we finally agree on a prospect. I think I have agreed with you MAYBE one other time but can't recall the subject.

But I agree with webdog on your skill set comparisons. First of all, as I continue to win the MAAR vs Dawkins debate (I of course had Dawkins who is a future pro, and yes, of course I had to bring it up), I am curious as to why you’re comparing skillset’s of players that play two completely different positions. You can compare Poole to Stu (although idk why you would aside from both are 2gurds who will get some PG mins, but there’s an obvious talent gap between the two) and MAAR. But comparing the skillset’s of Poole vs Dawkins, Irvin, THJr who aren’t combo’s is off base. THJr played SOME one but not enough to call him a combo and compare skillset’s.

Speaking solely on skillset’s, Poole has everything you want in a combo G aside from explosiveness vertically. I really do liken him to a poor man’s, right handed D’Angelo Russell.

Oh btw, Simpson is better then an “above average PG”. Kid is really good.

Why are you and webbdog all over the Stu comment? All he said is that Poole’s skillset is already past Stu as a senior. Don’t try and read too much into it…

Anyway, I think Poole’s skillset is fascinating but I’m most intrigued with how slow the game seems to him. He plays collected and confident and sees the floor well because of it.

Yeah, not sure why people are jumping on MD for his comment. He basically listed all the non-PG, non-C that JB recruited here (aside from Novak, Stauskas and GR3)and said that Poole’s skillset exceeded theirs coming out of HS. He didn’t say anything about them being combos vs straight wings. He only pointed out Poole being a combo.

Just want to say I’m very happy with Jordan’s committment. I watched a bit more film (his most recent from what I can tell) and he is much more capable of getting into the lane than I had previously thought. Not a slasher, but able to get into the paint and then find his shot. Really happy overall, and looking to build off him being part of the class.

Matt, I agree it would be great if we can use Jordan as a PG option in 2017 instead of getting a dedicated backup until 2018.

Matt you read my mind – I was wondering how Poole compared to Kenny Williams and now I know. So thank you.

This kid is going to get sooo much better over the next few years. Great get for the program and coach Beilein. I just love his potential going forward.

Personally, I wasn’t on his Stu comment that much, just think it’s a bit obvious Poole is more skilled now than Stu was. A top 50-100 kid vs an unranked, unproven one dimensional shooter who is clearly limited in what he does.

I just thought his other comparisons were silly.

Bacon, I addressed that. Why would one compare the skillset’s of a wing like Novak vs Poole? Not the same position, not the same player. OF COURSE Poole is going to have better ball skills, vision ect… hence the term combo. It’s not a big deal, I just chuckle when I read a MattD post. No biggie.

He wasn’t really making comparisons. He was pointing out that those guards/wings came in more raw or less heralded than Poole, implying that Poole has a lot of potential.

Personally, I wasn't on his Stu comment that much, just think it's a bit obvious Poole is more skilled now than Stu was. A top 50-100 kid vs an unranked, unproven one dimensional shooter who is clearly limited in what he does.

Bacon, I addressed that. Why would one compare the skillset’s of a wing like Novak vs Poole? Not the same position, not the same player. OF COURSE Poole is going to have better ball skills, vision ect… hence the term combo. It’s not a big deal, I just chuckle when I read a MattD post. No biggie.

Again…you’re just trying to read too much into it just to try and stir something up? That’s silly.

Yeah… @MattD didn’t say anything abrasive. He said that he’s more skilled than most of the other wings we’ve recruited under Beilein. That’s a good thing.

Stir something up? Lol

And I didn’t think he said anything abrasive either.

Sorry for not agreeing guys… Lol.

Re: Stu, he’s playing in Israel this season as he did last year (Stu is Jewish for those who don’t already now). His fiance is also playing in Israel this season. It’s true that Stu was primarily a spot up shooter, but he developed into a pretty good defensive player by the time he left Michigan.

Nice piece on Poole for those who haven’t seen it. Could have sworn Dylan placed the link here somewhere, but don’t find it now. Anyway, kind of gives some of the kind of info about where the kid’s head is at that I always feel I want to know with the scouting reports: http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/10/michigan_hoops_land_first_2017.html

Personally, I wasn't on his Stu comment that much, just think it's a bit obvious Poole is more skilled now than Stu was. A top 50-100 kid vs an unranked, unproven one dimensional shooter who is clearly limited in what he does.

But it is not outrageous to compare Poole to Irvin, Dawkins or THJ - all of whom have spent time at the 2 or 3 (positions in which Poole will probably find himself in more than once when he is at Michigan). And Stu played the 1 and 2 so it makes sense to compare them as well. I just don’t really see any reason to take an issue with what he said. Unless you disagree that Poole’s skillset is not more advanced than the players that MattD listed.

When I watch him I just refuse to believe there are ninety better players in that class. His sophomore year film is really impressive. Kid has skills.

Excellent assessment, MattD! and thanks for the Brandon Wade tip. I just watched a short highlight video and really like him as a PG. Nice quickness, excellent handling and passing. He’s got a funky shot so hopefully he works really hard on that the next couple of years.

Good article on Poole from the free press. Kids got some confidence in his game that’s for sure.

Also interesting note, Beilein said he’d be at UofM for at least six years. Which would coincide with Pooles years (if he stays four years). Could be just recruiting talk and him wanting to get the kid here but clearly recruits want to know. To me it brings up the question of who replaces him and having someone locked up to tell recruits. I would think it would be near impossible to keep BA and Jordan that long. They are due for a head coaching gig soon IMO.

I would think it would be near impossible to keep BA and Jordan that long. They are due for a head coaching gig soon IMO.

Agreed, I think if Beilein’s contract is extended, that probably pushes Jordan and BA to be more open to head coaching opportunities. It seems unfair to ask either of them to wait that long in a “coach in waiting” situation. Also always debatable how well that works out. I personally wouldn’t mind Jordan as a head coach at Michigan down the line. If he happens to get some successful head coaching experience elsewhere first, I wouldn’t be too upset.

I would think it would be near impossible to keep BA and Jordan that long. They are due for a head coaching gig soon IMO.

Agreed, I think if Beilein’s contract is extended, that probably pushes Jordan and BA to be more open to head coaching opportunities. It seems unfair to ask either of them to wait that long in a “coach in waiting” situation. Also always debatable how well that works out. I personally wouldn’t mind Jordan as a head coach at Michigan down the line. If he happens to get some successful head coaching experience elsewhere first, I wouldn’t be too upset.

6 years would line up with Archie Miller’s contract which would be best or next best scenario IMO.

“But it is not outrageous to compare Poole to Irvin, Dawkins or THJ - all of whom have spent time at the 2 or 3 (positions in which Poole will probably find himself in more than once when he is at Michigan). And Stu played the 1 and 2 so it makes sense to compare them as well. I just don’t really see any reason to take an issue with what he said. Unless you disagree that Poole’s skillset is not more advanced than the players that MattD listed.”

Honestly, let’s get all huffy because Matt D compared Poole to Stu Douglass! Give the guy a break–he arrived back with a bunch of conciliatory and insightful posts, and this should be appreciated.