Jordan Poole

Might as well just give him his own thread here prior to Friday.

Twitter seems be of the opinion that Michigan will be the choice and all other signs seem to be pointing that way as well.

Haven’t watched much video on him but he seems like a nice player in the limited action I’ve seen. It seems like we’ve went back to our recruiting from a few years ago in identifying prospects at the back end of the Top 100 rankings so far. Poole seems like a kid who will rise in the rankings a bit as the year progress. I think Matt D projects him to be in the top 50 range by the time he hits campus. Hope Friday brings good news here.

Some good discussion of him on the front page as well. Think he could be a terrific fit at the combo guard, even buying some cover at the PG. Would be a great early get.

I really hope we land this kid as well. I think its a consensus amongst all of us that he is pretty good looking combo guard scorer, who is underrated. I’d really like to add him. I am pretty bummed about Bailey. I had this weird feeling we were going to land him for 2018. Not sure why that was just my vibe.

I actually am really high on this team and the next few years. If we are going to be as successful as I think we will over the next two to three years I am going to be very disappointed if we can’t parlay this forth coming success into big time recruiting again.

Our little run the previous two years didn’t give us a boost, I am going to find it very odd if the same occurs again. At some point some of these five star kids/top fifty four star kids have to realize that coach B can turn them into a monster. I know their going to be top picks either way a lot of them, but they can’t be blind to how good they can become under his tutelage. Right? or do they just not care? or are some of them getting benefits? (I’m looking at you bluegrass state) Can’t wait for that operation to be busted at some point, and it will.

Poole already has a very good handle and instincts, and a great looking 3 point stroke. In order to be a top 50 player these days, you usually have to throw down a few dunks. He’ll grow physically and his game will continue to grow. I expect that he’ll be exactly what we’re looking for in 2017, a top notch combo guard. It’s also nice to get an EARLY commitment. These recruitments like Winston’s that get strung out forever are nerve wracking and sometimes costly as we pass on or put off other talented kids while we wait. I’m not worried about a de-commitment, either, unless something happens to Beilein. Battle is the only recruit to de-commit in Beilein’s tenure even though we’ve had early commitments like Irvin and GRIII who blew up into 5 stars.

It's also nice to get an EARLY commitment. These recruitments like Winston's that get strung out forever are nerve wracking and sometimes costly as we pass on or put off other talented kids while we wait.

This is a big point for me. We take for granted at this point the ease/convenience of the 2013 class being all committed by the start of their junior seasons in HS. It’s nice to be able to get a top 100 player who I feel confident will fill a role immediately so that the staff can then move to focusing on other, maybe higher profile, targets.

EDIT: Realizing I’m still talking about Poole like it’s a done deal. Obviously can’t be sure, hope this all comes to pass tomorrow.

“I know their going to be top picks either way a lot of them, but they can’t be blind to how good they can become under his tutelage. Right? or do they just not care? or are some of them getting benefits?”

If you pair the recent news out of Louisville with Jalen’s recent comments, factor in the kind of rumors that have swirled around the Jayhawks for years, I think you can safely conclude that their are a whole love “incentives” luring players away from schools like Michigan. And for me, have to say, that’s totally okay.

This kid plays with an impressive skill set. Shooting, passing, dribbling and court vision all appear to be above average. Big time offers seem to be lagging behind perhaps because he appears to be a below average athlete. But man does this kid bring a lot to the table, would be a great start.

Here’s the interesting (and somewhat weird) thing…although Poole appears to be a below average athlete, his body control is very good. Total opposite of let’s say Chatman, who really struggled with body control last year.

When is he announcing? I’ve seen 5, 6, and 630.

When is he announcing? I've seen 5, 6, and 630.

630 EST

Correct, 6:30 ET so 5:30 local.

Is the committment article already written, Dylan?

Haha safe to say this one isn’t really a secret. :slight_smile:

Poole to Michigan. http://www.umhoops.com/2015/10/23/four-star-guard-jordan-poole-commits-to-michigan/

Official: Michigan it is!

Welcome to the team Jordan Poole. This is a really good get this early in the cycle. A kid who is gonna rise.

Haha safe to say this one isn't really a secret. :-)

Nope!

Really happy we were able to land Poole, think he’s going to be a really nice player for us. Don’t care what the rankings say, he’s better than a 75 - 100 range type player (for comparison, Poole is better than Kenny Williams). Think he’s a notch better than that, most likely a 50-75 player, with potential to be a hair inside the top 50 depending on how he develops. Not knocking him, but I think it was wishful thinking by most here that Watson would shoot up the rankings (he actually dropped on nearly every site)…this is not wishful thinking, Poole is a legit, upper tier, combo guard.

On to the analysis:

Size - Poole seems to be a legit 6’3 - 6’4, long arms, but appears to be carrying some bad weight.

Athleticism - not a surprise, Poole appears to have below average verticality, lateral movement, and average straight line speed. That being said, Poole is very impressive with his body control despite being a below the rim player. Poole willingly takes contact and finished through it as well.

Ballhandling - Poole is an above average ballhandler, although he is bit right hand dominant. Shows ability to change direction with either hand, handle needs to be a bit lower. He’s able to get separation from defenders by changing speeds with stepbacks as well. Overall, he’s a plus ballhandler for a 2/combo guard, has potential to be a PG in spots early on, or as an upperclassmen.

Shooting - no doubt Poole can shoot the rock. Appears to be a very good shooter from catch and shoot positions, can’t really speak as to whether he can come off screens (film doesn’t display much of that). Appears to be a good shooter off the bounce from midrange as well…which is always key (this is what prevents Caris from taking the leap from good to great). Poole’s release can be a bit slow off catch and shoot situations, but he seems to adjust off the dribble when a defender is in his grill. Think Poole will be a really good shooter at the next level.

Passing - film shows Poole has above average court vision for a combo guard…but most of that is in transition. And I’ve learned from Derrick Walton’s film that court vision in transition is very much distinct from passing in a half court set/off PnR. Don’t think Poole is in the same stratosphere as Nik in terms of passing, but probably more in the Caris mold to where he’s a decent passer, but not someone you can consistently rely on to playmake for others. Admittedly this is a small sample size, so take that with a grain of salt.

Projection - Poole is certainly a high floor player at minimum, with the ceiling being somewhat limited based on lack of athleticism. He is really the perfect thing for UM because he probably isn’t a threat to go to the league as underclassmen…unless he’s shoots up to 6’6. The only thing that will prevent Poole from getting minutes as a freshman is strength/conditioning/athleticism. As a 2 guard/combo, Poole’s skillset as a sophomore exceeded the skillsets Caris, MAAR, Irvin, Dawkins, THJ, Stu as HS seniors…and that is a very good thing. When 17 rolls around, MAAR and Simpson will be the only backcourt players on the roster in ballhandling roles that are a sure thing (Watson, Dawkins, Chatman are not sure things as ballhandlers at this point) so Poole will have plenty of opportunity to prove himself as a combo guard that is a creator. Even if he is relegated to more of a shooter role, Poole can play alongside MAAR or Simpson to space the floor. Don’t think there is any doubt that Poole will be a major contributor as a sophomore, with Dawkins, Chatman, and MAAR all gone. I have Poole pegged in as a starter at the 2/combo and may play a quasi Nik type role as playmaking 2 depending on his development.

I honestly think Poole has the potential to be an all Big Ten type player as early as his sophomore year…his entire skillset is already above average, and shooting is already good, potentially great. Once Jordan gets his body right and gets a year of Camp Sanderson, the B10 better watch out for this kid…he can play.

We got a steal in this one fellas, Poole can play…he can definitely play. A few months after the Battle fiasco, we replace him with an above average PG in Simpson, and a good combo in Poole…we’ve rebounded nicely. From a skillset standpoint, Poole is better than Battle in my opinion (always thought he was a bit overrated). Hopefully we can keep the recruiting momentum rolling and land an athletic/upper tier wing. In my opinion, I think we can go without a PG for 17 because Jordan Poole can get some minutes there as a sophomore once MAAR leaves. With the way the roster is looking for 17 and beyond, I think Jamal Cain would be a REALLY NICE fit at the wing…and there is interest there. Small tidbit, but Brandon Wade is REALLY interested in UM…if UM offers next year, wouldn’t be surprised to see him grab that spot.

Enjoyed reading this assessment, Matt D. “As a 2 guard/combo, Poole’s skillset as a sophomore exceeded the skillsets Caris, MAAR, Irvin, Dawkins, THJ, Stu as HS seniors…and that is a very good thing.” Scouting reports rarely comment on players
demeanor or emotional maturity, and I think Beilein and Co. tend to do a particularly good job on that front, but I always wish we got a little more insight about how they look in that regard.

The Moment Stu Douglass appeared in your comment, you sir, lost all credibility, I stopped reading, Smh.

Really happy we were able to land Poole, think he's going to be a really nice player for us. Don't care what the rankings say, he's better than a 75 - 100 range type player (for comparison, Poole is better than Kenny Williams). Think he's a notch better than that, most likely a 50-75 player, with potential to be a hair inside the top 50 depending on how he develops. Not knocking him, but I think it was wishful thinking by most here that Watson would shoot up the rankings (he actually dropped on nearly every site)...................this is not wishful thinking, Poole is a legit, upper tier, combo guard.

On to the analysis:

Size - Poole seems to be a legit 6’3 - 6’4, long arms, but appears to be carrying some bad weight.

Athleticism - not a surprise, Poole appears to have below average verticality, lateral movement, and average straight line speed. That being said, Poole is very impressive with his body control despite being a below the rim player. Poole willingly takes contact and finished through it as well.

Ballhandling - Poole is an above average ballhandler, although he is bit right hand dominant. Shows ability to change direction with either hand, handle needs to be a bit lower. He’s able to get separation from defenders by changing speeds with stepbacks as well. Overall, he’s a plus ballhandler for a 2/combo guard, has potential to be a PG in spots early on, or as an upperclassmen.

Shooting - no doubt Poole can shoot the rock. Appears to be a very good shooter from catch and shoot positions, can’t really speak as to whether he can come off screens (film doesn’t display much of that). Appears to be a good shooter off the bounce from midrange as well…which is always key (this is what prevents Caris from taking the leap from good to great). Poole’s release can be a bit slow off catch and shoot situations, but he seems to adjust off the dribble when a defender is in his grill. Think Poole will be a really good shooter at the next level.

Passing - film shows Poole has above average court vision for a combo guard…but most of that is in transition. And I’ve learned from Derrick Walton’s film that court vision in transition is very much distinct from passing in a half court set/off PnR. Don’t think Poole is in the same stratosphere as Nik in terms of passing, but probably more in the Caris mold to where he’s a decent passer, but not someone you can consistently rely on to playmake for others. Admittedly this is a small sample size, so take that with a grain of salt.

Projection - Poole is certainly a high floor player at minimum, with the ceiling being somewhat limited based on lack of athleticism. He is really the perfect thing for UM because he probably isn’t a threat to go to the league as underclassmen…unless he’s shoots up to 6’6. The only thing that will prevent Poole from getting minutes as a freshman is strength/conditioning/athleticism. As a 2 guard/combo, Poole’s skillset as a sophomore exceeded the skillsets Caris, MAAR, Irvin, Dawkins, THJ, Stu as HS seniors…and that is a very good thing. When 17 rolls around, MAAR and Simpson will be the only backcourt players on the roster in ballhandling roles that are a sure thing (Watson, Dawkins, Chatman are not sure things as ballhandlers at this point) so Poole will have plenty of opportunity to prove himself as a combo guard that is a creator. Even if he is relegated to more of a shooter role, Poole can play alongside MAAR or Simpson to space the floor. Don’t think there is any doubt that Poole will be a major contributor as a sophomore, with Dawkins, Chatman, and MAAR all gone. I have Poole pegged in as a starter at the 2/combo and may play a quasi Nik type role as playmaking 2 depending on his development.

I honestly think Poole has the potential to be an all Big Ten type player as early as his sophomore year…his entire skillset is already above average, and shooting is already good, potentially great. Once Jordan gets his body right and gets a year of Camp Sanderson, the B10 better watch out for this kid…he can play.

We got a steal in this one fellas, Poole can play…he can definitely play. A few months after the Battle fiasco, we replace him with an above average PG in Simpson, and a good combo in Poole…we’ve rebounded nicely. From a skillset standpoint, Poole is better than Battle in my opinion (always thought he was a bit overrated). Hopefully we can keep the recruiting momentum rolling and land an athletic/upper tier wing. In my opinion, I think we can go without a PG for 17 because Jordan Poole can get some minutes there as a sophomore once MAAR leaves. With the way the roster is looking for 17 and beyond, I think Jamal Cain would be a REALLY NICE fit at the wing…and there is interest there. Small tidbit, but Brandon Wade is REALLY interested in UM…if UM offers next year, wouldn’t be surprised to see him grab that spot.

Matt, I’m glad we finally agree on a prospect.
I think I have agreed with you MAYBE one other time but can’t recall the subject.

But I agree with webdog on your skill set comparisons. First of all, as I continue to win the MAAR vs Dawkins debate (I of course had Dawkins who is a future pro, and yes, of course I had to bring it up), I am curious as to why you’re comparing skillset’s of players that play two completely different positions. You can compare Poole to Stu (although idk why you would aside from both are 2gurds who will get some PG mins, but there’s an obvious talent gap between the two) and MAAR. But comparing the skillset’s of Poole vs Dawkins, Irvin, THJr who aren’t combo’s is off base. THJr played SOME one but not enough to call him a combo and compare skillset’s. I get that these guys are all SG’s to an extent, but a combo guard like D’angelo Russell, Dwayne Wade, Rodney Stuckey, Russell Westbrook, Jamal Crawford are different players functionally then a Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, KCP, Jimmy Butler. Really no sense to compare.

Speaking solely on skillset’s, Poole has everything you want in a combo G aside from explosiveness vertically. I really do liken him to a poor man’s, right handed D.Russell.

Oh btw, Simpson is better then an “above average PG”. Kid is really good.