Jaylen Brown - Will Likely Use OV for UM

Ok, anyone else see what Brian Snow posted re: Brown and Michigan a couple days ago? Wow... Good grief if Beilein ever pulled this off.

No? Show us?

As much as I disagree with MattD (about seemingly everything) I do respect his twitter citations.

Snow said that all though he was skeptical at first, he is convinced that UM is a SERIOUS threat to get him and will be in it to the end.

He even when caps lock on SERIOUS.

Yea I don’t think I could have posted any direct info here because it’s ($) info.
But as MattR said, he thinks its serious between the two sides. Obviously that’s far from a lock, but it’s awesome news comparing to the pipe dream reports from a month ago.
Maybe this should be our strategy from now on. Elite kids only seem to favor us for 6 months or so. If we get in good the last 6 months we have a shot lol.

Looks like Brown enjoyed himself at UNC. Have to assume the atmosphere was electric vs Louisville. Brown is on record as saying UNC is his dream school

Top Tar Heel target Jaylen Brown (@@FCHWPO) in the #UNC student section. http://t.co/8FVwIkyCSa pic.twitter.com/1fP1kzKE0K

— Ross Martin (@Boss_Martin247) January 10, 2015

http://t.co/kzUZOdgUiW Top Rated Recruit for 2015...Jaylen Brown taking a selfie in a sea of Tar Heel Blue #UNCvsLOU pic.twitter.com/JyRblkuGHb

— Philip Mitchell, Jr (@PhilMitchellJr) January 11, 2015

The official visit is set http://www.umhoops.com/2015/01/12/report-five-star-jaylen-brown-sets-michigan-official-visit-january-24th/

Now that it’s scheduled, I’m willing to increment my pretty low hope by one notch. If the weekend comes together nicely, maybe more good things will follow.

Ugh UNC is going to be tough to beat.

Highlights from City of Palms. If you’re a HS defender, what the hell can you do to stop a guy like this…

Highlights from City of Palms. If you're a HS defender, what the hell can you do to stop a guy like this.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4V7J0REObs

He is ready for NBA, easily top 5 pick if eligible this year.

Now that it's scheduled, I'm willing to increment my pretty low hope by one notch. If the weekend comes together nicely, maybe more good things will follow.

Its nice to get the visit, but I give us about 1% chance. We came in too late and behind too many blue blood programs.

Obligatory visit to please family.

Sad thing is that this happens to UM seemingly every year…in strong position with an upper tier player, UK/Duke/OSU comes in at the last minute and boom…2 years later the cupboard is empty.

Please, if ever there was a time for role reversal…but I’m not holding my breath. I just wish we were the "sexy’ school for upper tier recruits…they just don’t gravitate to our style of play/coach/culture

I don’t think that we get Brown, but it won’t be a style of play issue for a 2/3. Those guys get a lot of shots.

Sad thing is that this happens to UM seemingly every year...........in strong position with an upper tier player, UK/Duke/OSU comes in at the last minute and boom...........2 years later the cupboard is empty.

Please, if ever there was a time for role reversal…but I’m not holding my breath. I just wish we were the "sexy’ school for upper tier recruits…they just don’t gravitate to our style of play/coach/culture

We have neither the history nor the tradition that the blue bloods do. On the other hand, we can be a ‘sexy school’ if we choose to play the cards that we do have, but we never do. The Fab Five and their legacy can still be incredibly appealing to recruits. During our NC final run, there were many soundbites about them coming from the likes of Stauskas, GRIII, and Trey. I wish we could use it but we are the polar opposite of that type of program right now and there’s just very little about the bb program that screams ‘sex appeal’ to the elite kids. Note, I’m not making any comment about whether it’s appropriate or inappropriate to cherish the Fab Five and I don’t want to get into a debate about sanctions or ethics.

I don't think that we get Brown, but it won't be a style of play issue for a 2/3. Those guys get a lot of shots.

Completely disagree with this notion. Yes, those guys get a ton of shots…from the perimeter. Generally speaking, elite level players/athletes prefer an uptempo game that allows for the showcasing of their athletic abilities attacking the rim rather than slow, half court style of play. Transition simply allows more opportunity for one on one scenarios and easy shots…and quite frankly, it’s simply more entertaining for kids that age.

I don't think that we get Brown, but it won't be a style of play issue for a 2/3. Those guys get a lot of shots.

Completely disagree with this notion. Yes, those guys get a ton of shots…from the perimeter. Generally speaking, elite level players/athletes prefer an uptempo game that allows for the showcasing of their athletic abilities attacking the rim rather than slow, half court style of play. Transition simply allows more opportunity for one on one scenarios and easy shots…and quite frankly, it’s simply more entertaining for kids that age.

Our style of play didn’t seem to hurt Trey or Nik’s draft status at all.

Our style of play didn’t seem to hurt Trey or Nik’s draft status at all.

Didn’t say anything about draft status, simply said elite HS players/athletes are more inclined to gravitate toward a system that fosters transition play on offense…it simply allows more highlight type basketball and athletic plays.

If the player has the ability to drive and create, no better way than high ball screens - which both Trey and Nik did frequently. Beilein does not want to walk the ball up the floor. He wants us to push the ball in transition whenever possible. Against Minnesota, we had a number of transition chances; we just didn’t execute. A finisher like Brown would thrive on that.

Kentucky doesn’t get a lot of transition baskets, and their half court offense is so so. They are winning with defense. But elite recruits want to go there because you have a good chance at a championship even if you’re one or two and done. UK players are gods in Lexington. And Calipari sells “putting players in the NBA.” Not to mention the tradition.

Michigan recruits backcourt and wing players just fine. How many programs have brought in the amount of back court / wing talent Michigan has?

Kids love to shoot the three ball. A decade ago, highlight dunks were a huge deal. Now, kids aspire to be like Steph Curry, Kobe, Melo, etc. rather than Vince Carter or Demar Derozen.

Heck, just go look at what Langford’s comments were after his visit. He loved that Beilein’s offense gave Dawkins the ability to shine. Many recruits have voiced similar opinions of how Beilein uses his guards and wings.

I get it - players voice opinions on just how much they like JB’s utilization…:but they just don’t like it enough to commit. Bottom line, lip service means nothing, pen and paper mean everything.

Honestly, in terms of HS recruits, the only upper tier PG/wing players we’ve brought in are Trey, Nik, Walton. 3 isn’t really all that impressive during an 8 year tenure…just saying