Isaiah Todd decommits from Michigan, will pursue pro opportunities

I put this in another thread too but I think this is what we’re working with unless I missed up

You might be right, but the reality is we don’t know what was said or what was going through the player’s mind.

I’m not kturnup, but I want to provide you rationality mostly because I want to believe it too.

I’m thinking it’s more likely than not that Livers comes back. That means you still have a core of Brooks, Wagner, and Livers. Combine that core with the still #1 recruiting class in the B1G (#9) overall and that’s still a solid team.

They need some growth from Johns and Bajema as well as T Will, Zeb, and Dickinson to be able to play right away. Thankfully all three are top 75 guys and should be able to.

If they can get the role players to contribute, then this team can still do some good things

3 Likes

I think he may have. I mean if your cal and Kentucky and you are who you are and these kids both have a circus around them, then you have a line of top 30 kids waiting on you it’s very easy to say these two aren’t worth the drama. He doesn’t have to wait on anyone or play any type of games. You unsure? Ok, cause keion brooks isn’t, peace kid-o.

Also I do think it’s telling that people like Roy Williams and Unc seemed to be turned off and not interested. I’m sure all the blue bloods saw at least the Todd situation coming

If Livers comes back, that is a top 5 in the B10 team, maybe compete for Top 3.

If Livers stays in the draft, that is a team the struggles to stay top half of the B10.

If you thought he would come after not signing you haven’t followed recruiting very long.

In most cases, that’s just not how it works.

Of course, but players take the advice of their coaches. I do not believe for a second that, without assuming one or both 5* are in the fold, the offseason conversation with DDJ results in him transferring. On the current roster, DDJ averages 30 mins of pt. I have real faith in Howard becoming a great coach, but he messed this situation up.

I think this is the most accurate rotation for the roster as it currently stands and that’s still a solid team. The key will be getting production out of the PG spot with an Ivy League transplant and a freshman backup as well as Dickinson being ready right away.

As @umhoops and Brendan said on their podcast, I wouldn’t be surprised if they start aggressively going after transfers. Hopefully the rule change passes so Michigan can get some player(s) for depth. Even if Jace goes back on scholarship, they still have room for 1 more scholly

As long as Livers and Johns return, I’m not too disappointed with this. I understand Todd is a different talent, but one year of him vs. one year of Livers, for example? I think I’ll take the experience, leadership, and shooting.

7 Likes

That can be true. It can also be true that the situation/roster composition and conversations with the staff affected the players’ desire to transfer. But if Dejulius was really planning on transferring regardless, and Castleton assumed he was behind Davis/Hunter/Johns regardless of Todd’s situation - or if their decisions were actually totally separate from roster situation - then i guess it’s not worth analyzing the departures from the perspective of the players and the staff.

1 Like

I think its less likely now that Livers come back than it was 12 hours ago. If he gets a sniff of a contract, he’s will leave. This team will struggle to make the tournament now with him, probably missing it without him.

9th in the Big Ten this year. Replacing Simpson with a up grad transfer. Replacing Teske with a Davis/Dickenson combo. I see us moving backwards not forwards.

will be interesting to see if we start in 2021 and beyond recruiting wise if juwan being burned changes things drastically

1 Like

Just curious, why do you think replacing X with a grad transfer PG and Teske with Austin Davis moves up from 9th to top 5 in the big ten? Are you assuming a massive jump from Wagner? Johns?

1 Like

You could say that. But there are so many parts to being a successful CBB coach and roster management is part of it. I’m sure there were some lessons learned here. And we gave Martelli a ton of credit for being somebody Juwan could lean on during the season but swimming in the 5 star pool wasn’t exactly in his wheelhouse at St. Joe’s.

Not Howard’s decision to let DDJ and Castleton go. They wanted a different opportunity.

2 Likes

@umhoops and Brendan made the point that Christopher not coming could actually help Michigan’s chances with Livers because he knows he would be the main guy. With the pandemic, players aren’t able to do in-person workouts and Livers isn’t even on most draft boards.

He said he will leave if a team tells him they’ll give him a guaranteed contract. I highly doubt any team would do that for a player who as it stands, is more likely to go undrafted.

I share your sentiment that this team would be a bubble team if Livers leaves. But I disagree that they would even struggle with him. I think with Livers in the fold, they are similar to this year (5-9 seed).

You have to remember that the rest of the B1G is also losing a lot…

1 Like

I hope we go for the 3 kids in Michigan who are going to be ranked 60 - 100 range. That’s how you build a foundation.

8 Likes

this and honestly just pay beilein to be in the AD/as an assistant if martelli leaves

we’re gonna have to continue to be a player developer type of program, would love JB around to help with that if he is free/interested

I never really counted on Todd coming so this one stings way less than JC who by far filled the biggest need with this roster. If Livers stays in the draft this will be a bubble team most of the year.

Agreed Todd was icing on the cake. I’m a big believer in Johns and there is no doubt in my mind senior livers is superior to Todd. I was pretty certain he was going to be the third best pf on the team. Don’t forget Johns was ranked what 35-45 range coming out? Now rankings don’t tell a story but what’s better, the 35 ranked recruit as a junior in his class or a frosh ranked 12-15? Close maybe but I’d lean the former and even if it’s the latter it’s not by much.

Looking back the last 16 years. How many teams built off one and done five stars have won? I think it’s just two. Kentucky with Davis and co. and duke with okafor and co. The recipe remains the same imo.

4 Likes