Isaiah Livers out indefinitely with groin injury

I’m gonna upvote all Franz and johns references. Love it!

3 Likes

Todd is a super stud. He should fear no competition. I could be wrong, but Bajema looks much more ready to contribute than Nunez to me. Bajema may just be better, but he’s got the confidence of a coveted recruit, and I think he’s got a higher belief that he belongs.

2 Likes

3-1 even without livers is my prediction. We will beat Purdue at home. Then I think wins over Minnesota and Iowa without Bohannon are likely. Iowa just can’t defend. 2-2 is worst case scenario.

1 Like

Road wins are tough to come by, I just don’t think I personally can predict Ws at Minny or Iowa YET. I can be easily convinced if I see BJ, Franz, and DDJ hit shots in East Lansing (win or lose). Livers’ shooting is just such a key cog to this offense…really bummed for him (and us)!

5 Likes

Sly with the ultimate homer takes as per usual!

1 Like

I agree the language looks a little ominous, but the theme here seems to be worst case scenario. I’m of the mind that this could be some gamesmanship for MSU coming up. I don’t think they are going to say “We aren’t going to play him in this buy game but he WILL be ready for Michigan State” hence the “indefinitely” time frame.

Of course if he is out against MSU then we could be looking the more 4-6 week time frame.

1 Like

Teams ranked 11th for a reason. 3-1 or 2-2 is the most likely scenario. Could they go 1-3 or 0-4? Sure, anything is possible but I wouldn’t bet on it based on what we’ve seen so far. The team would have to hit a major rut for us to lose all three away games. This is a program to be optimistic about.

They’ve shown the possibilities when everythings clicking. Many individuals have shown what their capable of so far this year and it’s down right scary if they can ever put it all together consistently.

The issue thus far is guys havent been consistent so who knows if they reach that ceiling, but the ceiling and potential of this roster is very high.

To be fair, what “we’ve seen so far” involves Livers playing 35 mpg. We have not seen what Michigan looks like minus Livers. Sure, Franz and Johns have shown flashes, but they have been incredibly inconsistent. We also haven’t seen Michigan go on the road and win yet so I don’t know what to expect there with 3 out of 4 on the road. I’d be very very surprised if Michigan goes 3-1 over this stretch. If they do, it means Franz and Johns have flipped the switch and this team will be scary when Livers is back. I certainly wouldn’t expect it though. I personally think 1-3 is more likely than 3-1, but 2-2 is the hope.

9 Likes

Torvik’s numbers have Michigan going 1-3, then 7-1 and then 2-4. If they can get through that brutal start to January with more than one win, things will ease up a little and hopefully they can go on a run.

2 Likes

They are going to win one of those road games either at minny or Iowa.

One thing is for sure, if they go 1-3 (which is possible bordering on the most likely outcome) people will be declaring the season over.

6 Likes

So, I wonder where things go from here. More minutes for the three-guard lineup certainly. But seems unlikely that it’s back into the starting lineup for Nunez. I’m guessing they let Johns scale up, and hope Castleton rounds into form. Or we could see Castleton in the starting lineup in a Nunez-like role in which Johns gets the majority of minutes. Or maybe Bajema?

If Castleton starts at the 4 and is the primary backup at the 5, I don’t think the plan is to give Johns more minutes than him.

I expect Johns to start, then go with the 3 guard look and see how the opponent adjusts to it.

1 Like

It will be interesting on January 6th (after MSU game) to see how much of tomorrow’s game against an inferior opponent was actually used to test a rotation without Livers, versus Juwan just rolling out a game plan for only this game (which he seems to do typically).
Probably not a huge difference, but I guess if I’m Juwan…I know how I want my rotation to work sans Livers, but I’m not going to show Sparty that tomorrow.

They’ve already lost three games. I gave up on the season long ago; maybe next year.

7 Likes

Zavier Simpson… let’s relax a little bit guys

1 Like

I know I’ve taken livers importance into account. It’s hard to judge the road games because there has been two. One versus a top three team. Are they always going to miss every 3 they take on the road? I find it hard to believe they are going to be that bad on the road all year.

Johns has woken up imo. This injury hurts but Brandon will give us good minutes and I think is ready to step up. Franz may have as well from deep which would lessen the blow. At the very least he can give us good d and some takes to the hoop but if hitting from deep at what he seems to be capable of then…

I have faith that this team even minus livers is capable of beating iowa and minny. At the very least one of them. It still has has great senior leaders and young talent that has shown it can play albeit in spurts. Z, ddj, eli, teske. The roster is still pretty loaded.

Have faith people.

2 Likes

I know I’ll watch the game tomorrow and I’ll cheer for whoever plays. I DO expect Johns to start at he four, and I expect that CC will back up both the four and the five. I also hope to see more Cole Bajema as I’m a big fan of his. But regardless, I’ll be cheering for Michigan tomorrow, no matter who starts and what the rotations are. Like Sly, I’m a “bleeding heart” homer! Is there such a thing?!? :grin:

1 Like

Balas is hearing that Livers will be available for MSU, FWIW.

10 Likes

That is incorrect, to my knowledge.