Isaiah Livers declares for 2020 NBA Draft

Zoom workouts! Nah, heard they are pushing draft back. Probably be a chance for workouts mid summer (hopefully).

I hope the NCAA follows suit and pushes their deadlines back in accordance, but even if they do, this puts a lot of pressure on roster situations like Michiganā€™s where they do require some amount of attrition.

Iā€™m not sure where the talk about Livers being a plus defender comes from. He is better at defending 4s where he doesnā€™t have to guard on the perimeter. However, in the NBA he is a 3 and struggles to defend that type of player. Imagining him guarding the NBA athletes on the wing, I donā€™t think it would go well. He isnā€™t big enough to be a 4 in the NBA.

3 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s going to get dicey. And thereā€™s a chance based on this that kids have to make choices early and not get full info.

I donā€™t think there is that much more he could gain from staying another year. Yes he can round out his game like improving his handles but itā€™s not a guarantee. He focused on improving his handles last offseason and the improvement was marginal. Especially with his injury record and all the talent coming in. I think he also just wants to start getting a paycheck.

Tbh I think he may have a better career than Iggy. At least more upside. Heā€™s a better athlete, shooter and defender imo. And Iggy already has a couple million dollar guaranteed contract and he was in the G League almost the entire year.

2 Likes

I donā€™t necessarily disagree with anything you wrote, but given those things, why hasnā€™t he been showing up on anybodyā€™s mock draft boards, especially in a weak draft year?

(Not trying to make the argument that he should stay, I just hope heā€™s making the right decision for himself)

Thereā€™s a reason NBA draft ā€œexpertsā€ are where they are, and NBA scouts/GMs are where they are. Not hating on anyone (and nobody bats 1000), but thatā€™s the truth.

1 Like

End of the day he likely just wants to start making money playing basketball. Some guys just want to focus on basketball and basketball alone. I respect it. Iā€™m skeptical about him getting drafted if he canā€™t workout though. If he can, I think he has a decent chance at getting drafted. He will crush the interview portion.

8 Likes
16 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what this is supposed to imply? Obviously nobody knows what any given GM is thinking except for that GM and those around him but the draft experts are usually pretty darn close in their draft projections. Also itā€™s not like the people who do draft analysis are striving to be GMs so I really donā€™t get what you were trying to say.

1 Like

If this was his intention all along for this to be his last year, then the actions of looking at grad transfers/over-recruiting make a lot more sense if his roster spot is open.

Obviously would rather have Livers return for his senior year if that works out but we need people to exit one way or another and if this was one of the anticipated scenarios all along, that may help us hold onto another player. Or gives us more flexibility with JC/grad transfer.

1 Like

One random thing to, the nba in the worst way needs the nhl draft rules(put into the draft automatically then the team retains the rights until you sign but your still eligible for college basketball). Livers is the exact type that would benefit from something like this.

6 Likes

I just donā€™t see the validity of comments about his D. If he was going to project as a plus defender in the NBA thatā€™s a lottery pick. He doesnā€™t, but heā€™s still a solid prospect. The Duncan Robinson comparison is valid. Livers shot better than Robinson at UM and projects as a better defender.

1 Like

Livers would be ideal keeping because he is super efficient and effective in a low usage role. I think he and Franz would play off Christopher better than anyone else on the team and that includes the incoming freshman. But thereā€™s a 90% chance Isaiah is gone and Christopher to Michigan isnā€™t a done deal either.

1 Like

I think given what Duncan did this past season despite what their numbers while at Michigan say itā€™s clear that Livers is unlikely to be in the same category as a shooter in the NBA. Duncan at this point has to be considered one of the best 2 or 3 shooters in the entire league.

1 Like

Top 2 and he ainā€™t 2

5 Likes

Itā€™s common for draft experts to be way off on prospects in terms of where they are drafted. Regardless of whose right or wrong, I donā€™t think its controversial to say the two groups sometimes view prospects much differently. And Iā€™ll tend to side with the people who actually have skin in the game.

Just to clarifyā€¦is this because he hasnā€™t announced yet, or is there ā€œchatterā€?

I donā€™t think the differences are that large most of the time. Draft experts usually do a pretty good job of hitting on the majority of the players that will be drafted and usually put players in the general ballpark of where they are drafted. Obviously, they canā€™t be perfect when it comes to every player, but for the most part they donā€™t pull their mock drafts out of their assesā€¦ the good ones donā€™t anyways.

I assume youā€™re talking about a player like Poole, but being projected as an early to mid-second rounder and getting drafted end of round 1 because one team really liked you doesnā€™t mean the experts were wrong about your general draft range. It would be much different if Poole was supposed to to undrafted but then went first round, but being off by 10-15 draft slots when youā€™re deeper into the draft isnā€™t that bad.

1 Like

The only real difference is that the GMs and scouts are focused on one team while analysts are focused on 30. It might be common for them to a bit off on where a certain prospect goes but just generally the good analysts are spot on when it comes to who gets drafted for the most part.

What do you mean by siding with one or the other? Itā€™s not like there are draft boards done by GMs. And the analysts have skin in the game too, itā€™s quite literally their job to accurately predict the draft.

1 Like