Isaiah Livers declares for 2020 NBA Draft

Dylan…

What is the real difference between seeing a player on video vs. seeing that player in person. NBA scouts could see video of every minute Isaiah Livers has ever played. They could meet with him on Zoom. What are they missing if they are not able to have live workouts this year?

1 Like

Talked about this on the pod some today… The biggest things are measurements, medicals and in-person interviews.

A lot of teams use in person workouts to evaluate shooting too, especially when trying to determine if a guy can become a good shooter.

3 year athlete, pretty sure everyone figured he would be gone after this year no matter what

Rooting hard for Isaiah, he’s one of my favorite players in recent years. I hope he surprises me and gets drafted if he stays in the draft. Of all the early entrants we’ve seen this decade, this one would be the most surprising to me, unless he’s just making the Charles Matthews-esque decision that he’s ready to be done with college basketball.

8 Likes

I was at the final home game and it seemed ominous at the time that Livers came off the court and hugged Juwan in similar fashion to Teske and Z.

Good luck to Isaiah and thanks for the memories. I think it’s the right move if he can get drafted in the second round. Iggy got a nice contract last year and is getting $1M a year. I think he’s at least as good as Iggy if not better…get the money, not much upside staying an extra year. Some NBA teams, though not all, are doing a nice job developing their talent.

1 Like

“In his three seasons in Ann Arbor, Livers started 46 of his 96 career games and compiled an 82-27 record“.

First, this math seems off. Second, if the 82 wins are correct, then he’d have had a chance to catch X and Teske for career program wins. Just a random thought to keep track of if he were to return

It’s possible that at THAT time he assumed he’d be able to get healthy and show teams what he can do in workouts (plus, I’m sure he had confidence in the team making a deep run in the post-season.)

Me either.

Me too. Great guy.

1 Like

Yea but we didn’t expect to just get an injury ridden half a regular season from Livers in year 3. The injuries and lack of a post season really cut his time short at Michigan when it should have been at its peak.

1 Like

The NBA draft is about potential, so they are thinking about where a guy on his own personal development journey. Duncan landed with a top-notch organization and that probably makes a huge difference, but that doesn’t disqualify every other GM from thinking ``this guy is a year younger, made them at a higher clip than Duncan, and is more athletic even if marginally so".

I don’t disagree that Livers probably isn’t going to be the shooter in the NBA that Duncan is, but the argument I’m making is about NBA potential, not top-5-distance-shooter-in-the-league potential. Livers has NBA potential and, IMO, it’s not weird at all that he’s thinking of leaving early. He, objectively, compares favorably to a coveted player who came up in the same system.

1 Like

Their job is to provide people content regarding the draft. Honestly, does anyone ever fact check mock drafts and rankings after the draft? No one cares about accuracy at that point.

Chad Ford not only checks them, but…

7 Likes

I was just saying that. I don’t know anything regarding Christopher. Just not getting ahead of myself

1 Like

Agree hack…the system has something to do with it. The team has a good record of guys playing in the league who have the right attitude and skill set to be Pro’s. They know how to practice and get better…that’s a good Brand to be associated with. Spoelstra has mentioned several times the Michigan system and the impact on both DWALT and DR. For the most part these kids don’t just play the game but also have sound HOOP IQ.

FWIW, we are talking to Isaiah later this afternoon. Should hopefully get some more insight into his process.

19 Likes

“Isaiah, is it true that there’s only room for one Isaiah in this frontcourt?”

4 Likes

Yeah, agreed. I have no doubt that Robinson wouldn’t have done the same on the Pistons, for example. But, conversely, that isn’t going to stop lesser organizations like the Pistons from making the shared-past connection of Livers and Robinson and valuing Livers in part based on that.

1 Like