Iffff we were to look for a coach who would be realistic targets?

Fired before the damn press conference

1 Like

It is bullshit. Fake news. Insider confirmed. Not me.

9 Likes

If Cooley gets the job, heā€™ll always be able to claim he broke the news. If itā€™s BS, he doesnā€™t have much to lose and can claim something happened.

Claiming a $6M deal makes it obvious he doesnā€™t know anything.

The retreat begins.

1 Like

This feels like the beginning of a valuable learning experience for this guy

6 Likes

I feel bad, but all I can think of about Cooley is the time he split his pants on national tv. Also, independently, Iā€™d prefer all the other candidates.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Didnā€™t someone say Warde was already in Florida? Whereā€™s the flight tracker when you need it

He interviewed Cooley in Florida. The Big East meetings are supposedly down there

I mean, look at your posting history. Maturity isnā€™t exactly your strongsuit. Pot meet kettle. Lol

In 8 seasons at Providence, Cooley has never finished higher than 3rd in the Big East. His team has finished 8th or lower three times, including last season.

In 13 seasons as a head coach, he has exactly one season with less than 11 losses (25-8 with no NCAA tournament appearance his last season at Fairfield).

He is 1-5 in the NCAA Tournament at Providence, the one win came on a first round buzzer beater to beat USC.

He has never fielded a team that started or finished the season ranked in the AP top 25.

He has more seasons in his career with 14 or more losses than he does seasons with 13 or less losses.

His career winning percentage is 58.7%, which would have been 9th best in the Big Ten last year (behind Izzo, Painter, Beilein, Holtmann, Miller, Turgeon, Gard and Underwood aka any coach with a pulse)

He signed two 5-star recruits (Kris Dunn and Ricky Ledo) his first offseason at Providence and per 247, has signed 0 top-40 recruits since.

He has helped three players (Dunn, Ledo, Ben Bentil) get drafted into the NBA in 8 years and only one first round pick (Dunn).

The running 8-year average of his teamā€™s offensive and defensive kenpom ratings at Providence are as follows:

AdjO: #81
AdjD: #75
Kenpom rank: #64

I think Cooley would be an overwhelmingly mediocre hire.

10 Likes

Not a coaching candidate comment.

Splitting oneā€™s pants might be a little embarrassing, but it is much less problematic than the strong-ass offer Will Wade was putting out there.

Iā€™m pretty sure a hire like Cooley was the reason I preferred Yak. Like, if this is where we end upā€“it just doesnā€™t make a ton of sense. These rumors better be premature. I mean, at least interview Howard!

Yep. I just hope that WMā€™s friendship with him isnā€™t affecting things. Remember a couple of the criteria WM said he was looking for, doesnā€™t need 5 stars to win, has head coaching experience. Cooley is the only one left to fit that bill really.

I just donā€™t see one thing on his resumĆ© besides heā€™s a nice guy who has been a head coach. Thatā€™s pathetic if thatā€™s the list

3 Likes

Tommy Amaker career average Kenpom rankings at Michigan vs Ed Cooley at Providence

T.A. AdjEM: 75th
T.A. AdjO: 91st
T.A. AdjD: 78th

E.C. AdjEM: 65th
E.C. AdjO: 83rd
E.C. AdjD: 75th

So I guess Cooley is at least marginably better than Tommy Amaker was at Michigan? Weā€™ll maybe make the tourney every so often with him?

edit: @buckets12 covered half of my stuff above while I was looking it up. I think most of us are on the same page here.

3 Likes

A Cooley hire and loss of Yaklich is my nightmare. oh. my. goodness.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think Cooley is a bad coach or anything. Before this past season he had made the tournament five years in a row, a solid accomplishment at Providence. But thatā€™s it, just solid. Nothing really exciting. And that offense is pretty ugly.

2 Likes

I wonā€™t lie this visit with Juwan is starting to feel like Dave Brandons with les miles.

1 Like